Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-24-2002, 02:20 PM   #41
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Gimli

Quote:
The animals did the definitive version of "House of the Rising Sun"....
The Animals collectivly wrote House of the Rising Sun, though Alan Price was the only one given credit. This would be a sore subject among the members of the Animals for years to come.
Quote:
Hey, nobody mentioned Stairway to Heaven yet!
Stairway to Heaven has to be the most overrated song the Led ever done. When I got and first played the Zep IV album having not heard anything from it before (New Years 1972), I didn't care for Stairway. it was too meandering and sleepy, though I did like the last part. Then it became the huge radio icon song through the 70s and 80s, and now I just can't listen to it. And I never thought Stairway had anything to do with Tolkien anyway, so I believe the band.

Last edited by Snowdog : 07-24-2002 at 02:22 PM.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 05:15 PM   #42
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

It's about Celtic Mythology, it certainly has no more to do with the Lord of the Rings than the Lord of the Rings has to do with Celtic Mythology.

But I love Stairway to Heaven. I'm not one of those that only likes the "fast and loud" songs. I love the sound of that song, it's just enchanting. Of course, I also like the kick ass part at the end. I find it moving, the whole thing taken together. Another one of my favorites is the Rain Song, which also has nothing to do with the Lord of the Rings as far as I know. The only Tolkien Songs I think are Battle of Evermore, Misty Mountain Hop and possibly Ramble On and I Gotta Leave You, Baby.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:00 PM   #43
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowdog
The Animals collectivly wrote House of the Rising Sun, though Alan Price was the only one given credit.
No, I'm pretty sure that it's a traditional folk song.

http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/3448/house.html

Last edited by BeardofPants : 07-24-2002 at 07:02 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 09:35 PM   #44
azalea
Long lost mooter

I would also venture to say that the songs mentioned may refer to LotR, but aren't necessarily about it. I especially disagree with Misty Mountain Hop being about LotR. It's about drugs and ennui, and it happens to mention the Misty Mountains as a place he wants to go to. At least that's how I see it. *waits for deluge* Oh and I like Stairway, too, but Battle of Evermore is my favorite off that album.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 10:34 PM   #45
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Yes, Misty Mountain Hop was nit about LotR.

There is a thematic similarity between Led Zeppelin's music and Tolkien's work. Both were interested in mythology and fantasy. Many of Zeppelin's songs are mystical in nature. There are themes in the film "The Song Remains The Same" that expound on Page's interest in magic as well as the other's interest in medieval themes. The influences are simliar so I associate other songs with LotR, like "No Quarter" even though there isn't a direct link. The same goes with "Kashmir" and several other songs.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 04:51 PM   #46
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Gimli

Quote:
(Snowdog: 'The Animals collectivly wrote House of the Rising Sun, though Alan Price was the only one given credit.'

Beard of Pants: "No, I'm pretty sure that it's a traditional folk song."
Yes, you are correct and I stand corrected. I should have remembered as I am a Woody/Pete fan. I went off my 45 label which gives writing credit to Alan Price and read some Animals band history notes that had to do with the royalties paid for the song. Being that I saw Zep in 1969 and again in 1977, they would play many songs (especially in 69) such as Train kept a Rollin, Smokestack Lightning, Crossroads, etc, and at the pop festival there was a reel-to-reel at the soundboard so its very possible there is a bootleg out there with a Zep version of the Rising Sun.

Now, taking credit for public domain/traditional songs is nothing new in music, and Led Zep has been guilty of such as well (Dazed & Confused by Jake Holmes & Nobodys Fault But Mine by Blind Willie Johnson for example). It is the way of the business.

Quote:
Ñólendil said: "I'm not one of those that only likes the "fast and loud" songs."
I'm just clarifying here that I love Zeps mellower music, for Zep I & Zep III are a couple of my favorite albums. On IV, I think Battle of Evermore is a way better song than Stairway. I just never really cared for that song is all. I know I'm in the minority here when it comes to liking/not liking that song, but then, I always have been since the album's release.

Last edited by Snowdog : 07-28-2002 at 04:54 PM.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 05:06 PM   #47
BeardofPants
the Shrike

No, you're not the only one. I've just started listening to Zep recently and I'm just not sold on Stairway to Heaven. I guess it's because it's not as ... hmm... I dunno... complicated? as some other stuff that I've listened to. Not that I'm trying to be a musical snob or anything, but Battle of Evermore and Kashmir are just brilliantly written - and it seems that that is what Stairway to Heaven *should* be like. Eh, not that I have anything against it, cos it's an okay song in a folksy way - but Bob Dylan does them better... Okay, now I really am rambling!
Old 07-28-2002, 06:17 PM   #48
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

My opinion is that Led Zeppelin's best folk song is "Going to California", it's a very 'soft' song. I love the Battle of Evermore until it gets to the weird ending, I don't understand it.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 07:50 PM   #49
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy
I love the Battle of Evermore until it gets to the weird ending, I don't understand it.
The lyrics, or the music?
Old 07-28-2002, 08:09 PM   #50
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

The music, it doesn't fit in with the rest of the song.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 09:52 PM   #51
azalea
Long lost mooter

What are your favorite songs off of each album?

I = How Many More Times
II = Bring it on Home
III = Since I've Been Loving You
IV = Battle of Evermore
Houses of the Holy = No Quarter
Physical Graffiti = Ten Years Gone
In Through the Out Door = In the Evening
And I forget what comes next, was Achilles Last Stand on Coda? If so that's my favorite on that. Did I miss one?
EDIT: Achilles' Last Stand is on PRESENCE; my favorite off of Coda is Poor Tom.
second edit: okay, if I get to pick a song off of each of the 2 PG albums I pick Bron-yr-aur as my other one.

Last edited by azalea : 07-29-2002 at 09:04 AM.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 11:58 PM   #52
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

I - "Dazed and Confused"
II - "What Is And What Should Never Be"
III - "That's The Way"
IV - "Rock and Roll"
HH - "No Quarter"
PG - "Kashmir" & "In The Light" (2x album...)
Presence - "Nobody's Fault But Mine"
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 01:50 AM   #53
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Arwen Undomiel

"Rock and Roll" is sooooo good!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 01:57 AM   #54
olsonm
Elf Lord

I - Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You.
II - Bring it on Home
III - That's the Way
- Four Sticks
HotH - Over the Hills and Far Away
PG I - In My Time of Dying
PG II - In the Light
Presence - Hots on For Nowhere
ITTOD - Fool in the Rain
Coda - We're Gonna Groove
Old 08-08-2002, 03:50 AM   #55
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Okay, after much downloading and listening, here is my preliminary list thus far:

I - Your time is gonna come
II - Thank you
III - Tangerine
IV - Battle of Evermore
HH - No Quarter
PG I - Kashmir
PG II - In the Light

I haven't made it past that point yet with the other albums.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 10-20-2002 at 05:19 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 06:47 PM   #56
BeardofPants
the Shrike

In throught the out door: All My Love.