Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-17-2002, 03:23 AM   #41
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

That's not a dumb reason. . .well, I don't think so. Wait, which Led Zeppelin songs have Tolkien references? I recently started listening to their music, but. . .(yes, I am wierd that way. Most of my favorite music is from my parents' generation)

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 10:46 AM   #42
Elvet
Elven Warrior

From the Stairway to Heaven album
'Misty Mountain Hop' and the 'Battle of Evermore"
There may well be more on other albums. 1971 was when this record came out. I was into the LotR then, and I thought it was so cool that Zep was singing about ringwraiths. I listened to the Battle of Evermore over and over again (much to my parent's dismay), and it is still one of my favorite songs.
By the way, I would love to list my favorite songs, but as they span 4 decades there wouldn't be enough room. Suffice to say that I've always liked 'New Music' and presently enjoy Nickleback, Linkn Park, Jimmy Eat World and Staind.
Oops - Wrong thread for songs. Thats what you have to look forward to when you're my age - short term memory loss!
Check out Entertainment Forum - favorite song - for a similar reference.

Last edited by Elvet : 03-17-2002 at 10:53 AM.
Elvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 03:00 PM   #43
Eruviel Greenleaf

Oh, thanks, Elvet! Yes, Battle of Evermore, I always thought I heard something about Ringwraiths in there, but I wasn't really listening very closely. . .now to reclaim my CD and listen to it a million times! And I'll have to go buy the Stairway to Heaven album right away. . .

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-17-2002, 03:08 PM   #44
Elvet
Elven Warrior

Sorry, old verbalogy. Got rid of my albums in early 80's , but the word still sticks.
Old 03-17-2002, 07:51 PM   #45
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Arwen Undomiel

right......

this music is so not my generation

more like my sisters... I'll ask her about it
Old 03-17-2002, 07:59 PM   #46
Eruviel Greenleaf

Oh, now I'm listening to Battle of Evermore. I don't think I'll listen to anything else for a very long time. . .

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-17-2002, 11:09 PM   #47
Earenya
Elven Warrior

My Dad. He read me Alice In Wonderland as a child and continued on with The Chronicles of Narnia followed by The Hobbit and suddenly- I was hooked.
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 11:39 PM   #48
olsonm
Elf Lord

'Ramble On' from Led Zeppelin II mentions Mordor, Gollum and the Evil One.
'Bron-Y-Aur Stomp' from LZ-III was apparently written about Plant's dog Strider!
'Over The Hills and Far Away' from 'Houses of the Holy' is kinda Tolkienesque.
I posted earlier on 'What got you started'(page 1) and the online reference I mentioned was from a Zeppelin/Tolkien fan page, so your not alone Cirdan!
Old 03-18-2002, 12:55 AM   #49
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Don't forget 'Misty Mountain Hop', which I think relates to The Hobbit.
Old 03-18-2002, 04:07 AM   #50
Eruviel Greenleaf

A big thank you to you people who were kind enough to inform me of which songs contain ME references! Now I just need to go buy the music. . .

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-19-2002, 11:25 PM   #51
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Zepplin happens to be one of my favorite bands anyway; their 'untitled' album, (#4 it is often referred as) just spices up the pot. Any ideas as to who the old man is on the cover? Or the one inside with the latern leaning over the hill? I always figured some spinoff of Gandalf for the latter....
Tiro! El eria e mor
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Old 03-20-2002, 12:23 AM   #52
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Don't forget Led Zeppelin's

No Quarter
(Jones/Page/Plant)

Close the door, put out the light.
You know they won't be home tonight.
The snow falls hard and don't you know?
The winds of Thor are blowing cold.
They're wearing steel that's bright and true
They carry news that must get through.

They choose the path where no-one goes.

They hold no quarter.

Walking side by side with death, The devil mocks their every step
The snow drives back the foot that's slow, The dogs of doom are howling more
They carry news that must get through, To build a dream for me and you

They choose the path where no-one goes.

They hold no quarter. They ask no quarter.
The pain, the pain without quarter.
They ask no quarter.
The dogs of doom are howling more!

not a direct reference but inspired by...

this site
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/2406/
tells the source of the graphic on the untitled album. Take with a grain of salt. The analysis of "Misty Mountain Hop" is way off. Other than the name and the one lyric it is mostly about hippies getting high.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary

Last edited by Cirdan : 03-20-2002 at 12:45 AM.
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 01:27 PM   #53
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I think I covered this in another thread, but here goes again. We're going back 27 years, so the chronology might be a bit off. Loss of long-term memory is one of the first signs of advanced old age.....

My oldest sister gave me a paperback of Hobbit, I think in 1975, but it sat on my bookshelf til the year Rankin-Bass' Hobbit came out. I devoured it on Thanksgiving vacation prior to the release of the TV show, and afterwards tried my best to get the LotR. Got FotR and TTT, devoured them [loved the pic of the Master on the back, pipe clenched in his English teeth, lookin' all professorial], then a long hiatus until I received RotK for Christmas 1977, along with the Brothers Hildebrandt calendar of Tolkien stuff, and an album of JRR Tolkien reading and singing selections from Silmarillion and The Two Towers. I remember riding behind Gandalf along the chain of the White Mountains as we drove south along the Colorado Front Range headed back to Lousiana after christmas in Colorado. Funny thing was, the mountains were on the right, just as they were for Gandalf and Shadowfax. I could almost see Rohanian watchtowers setting their blazes alight along the road.

Now, I've read Lord of the Rings 25 times, and Silmarillion seven. It is one of the most important works to have affected my life.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.

Last edited by bropous : 03-21-2002 at 01:30 PM.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 06:46 PM   #54
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Arwen Undomiel my reasons kinda r dumb (oh well)

two years ago i was over at my friend's house and was looking at her sisters books, i had just finished reading memory,sorrow, & thorn by tad williams they were some really big books. The second biggest book i saw in Zoe's room was a copy of LOTR with all three books in it, since it was falling apart i couldn't borrow it, but since I was spending the night i took to Emilie's room and read it until 3:00am. I was hooked! so two days later i went into town and bought FOTR. a month later i was at used bookstore and the owner gave me TTT and ROTK for free they fell apart and he replaced them for free again

And another reason was i read Bored of the rings and wanted to see the real version, not just the parody.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:47 PM   #55
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

The parody probably wasn't very funny to you if you had not read the LotRs huh?
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 01:35 AM   #56
Cirdan

Re: my reasons kinda r dumb (oh well)

Quote:
Originally posted by ArwenEvenstar
two years ago i was over at my friend's house and was looking at her sisters books, i had just finished reading memory,sorrow, & thorn by tad williams they were some really big books. The second biggest book i saw in Zoe's room was a copy of LOTR with all three books in it, since it was falling apart i couldn't borrow it, but since I was spending the night i took to Emilie's room and read it until 3:00am. I was hooked! so two days later i went into town and bought FOTR. a month later i was at used bookstore and the owner gave me TTT and ROTK for free they fell apart and he replaced them for free again

And another reason was i read Bored of the rings and wanted to see the real version, not just the parody.
Started LotR and read the Silmarillion AND started the HoME between 10 and 12 years old? Can't be too dumb
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 03-22-2002, 01:42 AM   #57
GandalfTheWhite
Elven Warrior

hmmm

i tried reading the hobbit in like 6th grade, but didnt finish, around the time the movie came out i read the hobbit, loved it and finished it in 2 days and now im reading ROTK for the first time!

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom."
-Gandalf

"A thing is about to happen which has not happened since the Elder Days: the Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong."
-Gandalf
GandalfTheWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 02:08 AM   #58
Cirdan

Re: hmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by GandalfTheWhite
i tried reading the hobbit in like 6th grade, but didnt finish, around the time the movie came out i read the hobbit, loved it and finished it in 2 days and now im reading ROTK for the first time!
Finish it before you read a post that gives the plot away

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Old 03-22-2002, 04:59 PM   #59
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Do you all remember the animated version of "The Hobbit"? I dont know where I first saw it, whether it had been rented or was on TV, but I have always loved it...
Tiro! El eria e mor
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Old 03-22-2002, 06:52 PM   #60
Bill Ferny
Sapling

One day my physics teacher told this story about how his friend in college made him read these books about short people at a party and he thought they were really dumb but then he got way into them. Pretty soon he was obsessed. He watched every movie and read all the material. THen he wen to the movie theatre one day and saw an ad for FOTR: Christmas 2001.

That's what got me started. I then also saw some ads and got interested, so I started reading the books. Now I'm more obsessed than he is.
Bill Ferny is offline   Reply With Quote