Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-17-2002, 02:39 AM   #41
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Wow, this is what I dont like about commercialization. Within 6months fans will have spent countless millions (collectively) on virtually the same versions of things with maybe an hour more on a later release. As if they havent made enough money...

Of course, I will probably end up being one of the consumers to perpetuate this trend towards "milking the public" and buy every version as soon as Im able to afford them.
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 08:46 PM   #42
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Grabbed this from Tolkien Online, from an article by a Tolkien fan who went to a bookstore panel discussion with Peter Jackson, Christopher Lee, and others:

"...Peter reiterated several details we already know about the DVD. August for the Theatrical version, November for the 'special edition'. This will have 30 minutes of extra footage and it will be integrated into the existing film and will include specifically the Galadriel gift-giving scene as well as others mentioned already. He mentioned "rope" as a gift and I believe he meant that Sam receives rope from Galadriel (as opposed to the soil and seeds box) – more on this in a minute. Peter explained that the gift scene was cut for momentum. That they looked at the movie and knew that they had to get it going again towards its climax. Howard Shore will compose NEW music to go with these scenes, which Peter said he thinks is the first time that will ever have been done –that usually when scenes are "put back in" the music is "lifted " from other sections of the existing score...."

You folks might want to read the entire article:
http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=11565
It is REALLY interesting!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 05:10 PM   #43
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Howard Shore will compose NEW music to go with these scenes, which Peter said he thinks is the first time that will ever have been done –that usually when scenes are "put back in" the music is "lifted " from other sections of the existing score...."
hmm... this is probably right, but what about the expanded Star Wars films?

And YAY! more music with the new footage! As a HUGE soundtrack fanatic, this is great news.
Tiro! El eria e mor
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Old 03-27-2002, 11:05 AM   #44
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Release dates for the DVDs

Ah, the wallet vaccuum is set in motion. August 6, 2002 is the release for the first two discs of FotR. $29.99

The four disc set of FotR will be in shops on November 12, 2002. Go to dvd.ign.com
for all the juicy details. Start saving your loose change now!

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 11:12 AM   #45
Pailan
Elven Warrior

They also mention this interesting fact about the four disc November discs:
Quote:
The extended edition will likely receive an "R"-rating , not due to excessive gore but about 30 seconds of extra violence in the Battle of Amon Hen.
It must be an intense 30 seconds to bump it up to an "R" rating. Can't wait!

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:17 PM   #46
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Yay!! more movie!!!
Tiro! El eria e mor
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Old 03-27-2002, 12:25 PM   #47
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Wouldn't it be cool if when all three have been released the cinem did a LotR day where they showed tham all back to back without anyy god damn adverts!!! I'd eat lots of sweets and feel sick and get a sore ass but i'd love them fto do it!

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 12:44 PM   #48
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfmaster XK
Wouldn't it be cool if when all three have been released the cinem did a LotR day where they showed tham all back to back...
Actually there are some efforts to do just that state side. One or two Tolkien fan sites out there are marshalling their forces, locating theaters and all.

Back when I was a punk, I remember going to see all the "Planet of the Apes" movies back to back for 89 cents! Went in before noon came out well after dark. I think it ruined me.

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Old 03-27-2002, 02:47 PM   #49
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/356/356226p1.html
http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=3789

This is a total rip-off, I(And many others) cannot afford to pay for two expensive dvd sets of the same movie, it's an outrage.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 03:17 PM   #50
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Yes!! A LotR day would be awesome!
Tiro! El eria e mor
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Old 03-27-2002, 05:16 PM   #51
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

getting sick on sweets and a sore ass.....now THERE'S an afternoon date for ya! LOL!

I would also LOVE to see all three films back-to-back in the theater......
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 03-27-2002, 11:05 PM   #52
olsonm
Elf Lord

www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

I got this from TORn.
Old 03-28-2002, 06:51 PM   #53
Kyote Fields
Elven Warrior

Just got this in an e-mail:

New Line Home Entertainment announced Tuesday that The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring will be coming to DVD & VHS August 6th, 2002.

The two-disc DVD set will be available in both wide screen and full screen formats and will include the theatrical version of the film plus exciting bonus material on the second disc. These features include three in-depth programs that reveal the secrets behind the production of this epic adventure and 15 video featurettes. Also included on the bonus disc will be:

One of the greatest sneak previews in movie history, featuring a ten-minute behind the scenes preview of The Two Towers, the second installment of The Lord of the Rings trilogy coming to theaters December 2002

The theatrical version of the film (PG-13)

Enya's "May It Be" music video

Exclusive DVD-ROM online content

A preview of a new Electronic Arts video game

A "Special Extended Edition" of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring will arrive in stores November 12. This extended edition of the film contains more than 30 minutes of never- before-seen footage created for the home video release. This version of the film, available on DVD and VHS, will likely have an R rating. The "Special Extended DVD Edition" will be contained in a four-disc set with two discs containing the film, and two discs with more than six hours of added content, produced specifically for the DVD. These extras will plunge the viewer into the complex landscape of Middle-earth, and reveal how the filmmakers created a painstakingly beautiful, and faithful re-creation of Tolkien's world.

A collector's DVD gift set will also be released on November 12 in time for the holiday season. This gift set will include the "Special Extended Edition" with box art packaging conceived and designed by famed Tolkien illustrator Alan Lee. Included with the DVD are custom bookends designed and sculpted by Sideshow WETA, the artists that crafted the astonishing theatrical visual effects for The Lord of the Rings. The gift set will also include the National Geographic "Beyond the Movie" DVD, containing two previously unreleased featurettes and a photo gallery. These extras are topped off with a set of exclusive, collectible Decipher game cards.
Old 03-28-2002, 07:00 PM   #54
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I just got that email, too. Thanks for posting the info! Now I had really better start saving my money. . .

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 07:22 PM   #55
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

thanks for the in-depth info, Kyote.....all I can say is, "WOW!"

I know what I want for next christmas......actually, the next three christmases.....
Old 04-16-2002, 10:35 AM   #56
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Here's what Amazon has listed for the LOTR:FOTR DVD that gets released (as of 4/16/2002) on August 6th.

Edition Details:
• Region 1 encoding (US and Canada only)
• Color, Closed-captioned, Widescreen
• Theatrical trailer(s)
• Two-disc set
• Theatrical (PG-13) version of the film
• Exclusive 10-minute behind-the-scenes preview of The Two Towers
• Three in-depth documentaries that reveal the secrets behind the production of this epic adventure, including:
• -"Welcome to Middle-earth" (in-store special as shown by Houghton Mifflin)
• -"The Quest for the Ring" (as debuted on the FBC Network)
• -"A Passage to Middle-earth" (as premiered on the SCI-FI Channel)
• 15 featurettes originally created for lordoftherings.net, which explore the locales and cultures of Middle-earth and include interviews with cast members Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Liv Tyler, and others
• Enya "May It Be" music video
• An inside look at the Special Extended DVD Edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
• Preview of Electronic Arts' video game, The Two Towers
• DVD-ROM features: Exclusive online content
• Widescreen anamorphic format
• Number of discs: 2

Also regarding an R rating on LOTR - usually studios don't rerate the directors cut. It usually just gets marked as unrated.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 04-16-2002 at 10:36 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 02:41 PM   #57
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

my plan for obtaining all of the dvds:

wait till glorfindel gets the first one from her ankle twisting plots, go round her house every day to watch it until she gets tired of me and gives me the dvd to keep. then i'll do the same for her for the second dvd of course.
Old 04-16-2002, 03:10 PM   #58
Glorious Glorfindel
Elven Warrior

lol eowyn! i will be forced to twist my ankle or break it or whatever without going through THAT much pain. then, i will put on the 'im trying to be positive and brave here!' act which will then hopefully get me a dvd player as well! i could ask the family to club in together so that i didn't sound like too much of an attention seeker!
Na-chaered palan-diriel
o galadhremmin ennorath
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, si nef aearon!

add a drop of lavander to milk.
leave town with an orange and pretend you're laughing at it.
Glorious Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 04:24 PM   #59
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

I figured i'd just pay money.

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2002, 04:28 PM   #60
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

well some of us don't have that kind of money