Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-22-2004, 01:36 PM   #41
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mercutio
See...I'd rather have a loving, loyal friend such as a dog. Cats are so independent they get...too independent.
And your point...???

Quote:
You can't cuddle up as well with a cat...
The small, compact and soft feline is tailor-made for cuddling. They only take up about half of the bed or the sofa, as opposed to the dog which takes up the whole darn thing!!!

Quote:
... barking is better than hissing
Purring is better than barking...anytime, anywhere!!!

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 01:40 PM   #42
Beruthiel's cat

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
personally i find cat personalities go with my own personality so much better then dog ones. In fact I find I like the same things in cats that i like in girls.... you gotta love an animal that can sleep anywhere and acts like they own the place. i was definitely a cat in another life.
I want to be a cat in my next life!!! (all nine of them!!!!)

~~~~~~~~~

"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 06-22-2004, 04:04 PM   #43
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I miss having a cat. All mine have been scatty, dim males. I wonder what that says about me? I've always had large, fluffy, black males, and when we finally move stateside (soon, I hope...), we hope to be able to get an apartment that allows cats. I want to get a Burmese cat; I love how they're so friendly, and outgoing, and silly. I also like the look of Birmans, and Somalis. However, they're both pretty intensive cats, and probably wouldn't be suited to full-time working. But god, the somali is so beautiful...

BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 04:38 PM   #44
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

It is, isn't it? Most cats are beautiful.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 04:54 PM   #45
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Is that a somali? I thought it was an abessynian the first time I saw it. Either way that's one gorgeous cat! Lovely colour.... I'd love to have such a beautiful cat one day, so far we only had black cats and norwegian forest cats and one smoke black and white female. I myself am totally in love with colourpoints.

But the chances of finding such a cat, or a cat like a somali in a shelter are very slim and right now out cat quota is full anyway.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:00 PM   #46
Beruthiel's cat

A Somali is a long-haired Abyssinian. Both are beautiful.

A shelter is really the best place to find a cat if you aren't interested in a pure bred. The cats in shelters have had to leave their homes for some reason and most are accustomed to sharing their lives with people. It's sad to see those poor kitties in such need. Especially since many shelters around here will euthanize the animals after a period of time if they do not find homes.

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 06-22-2004, 05:15 PM   #47
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel Hissing doesn't make so much noice as barking and you won't have neighbours over to complain about your cat hissing, while they will if your dog barks all the time. Have a headache and then see whether you prefer the barking.
Believe me, I know what a lot of barking is. (I have a shetland sheepdog...). But its better than hissing/purring.
Quote:
Besides a cat lets itself out where as you have to go on walks with your dog.
You aren't spending quality time with your pet, getting them and you excercise.
Quote:
And cats don't drool in that quantity....
Large amounts of drooling is a trait of only some dog breeds.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 05:24 PM   #48
Nerdanel

I almost have a Norwegian forest cat; he really looks like one, but his mum is not.
He's beautiful!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 06-22-2004, 08:57 PM   #49
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Nerdanel
It is, isn't it? Most cats are beautiful.
*nods* Yes, they are. Except the eight-toed monster we had when I was kid. She was EVIL. The problem with somalis is that they're extremely naughty, and playful (must be that fox-like nature), so they require pretty much a full-time guardian, and companions. *sigh* Oh well, I guess I'll just have to continue being that weird girl who goes around foisting herself onto strange cats until I can get one of my own.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 10:04 PM   #50
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I have 4 cats right now, I would go to the Humane society...they have SOOOO many to choose from! All my cats were strays, and all are quite different looking. I like males best. (though one of my females is such a petite little doll, yet an excellent hunter..her name is "Tail-Up" because she always walks around regally, tail-up, like a tiny, fluffy yellow queen) Our male cats (neutered of course!) are very forceful with their affection. They purr SO loud, and are rather "doglike"...not shy! My black male loves to lick bare feet. That really tickles!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 01:25 AM   #51
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
... and when we finally move stateside ...
What does this mean? Are you coming to the US, or does that mean something else in NZ-speak?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:46 AM   #52
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

my two cats have just given bieth, so i have two litters of 3 kittens and we are keeping all 6 with any luck!
dogs and cats are both as good as each other, i love all animals
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:13 AM   #53
Beruthiel's cat

Quote:
Originally posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
Although I prefer cats, I like dogs, too, and might like to have one someday. I don't have sufficient room where I live for the dog that I'd like to have (a greyhound), however, so it will have to wait to another time.

When I was younger, my family had a German Shepherd. He was a great dog.

But I know I will always prefer cats over dogs...especially little, yippy/barky dogs like Pomeranians or poodles, or any dog that has a salon hairstyle...

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 06-23-2004, 10:15 AM   #54
Earniel

Quote:
Originally posted by Beruthiel's cat
A shelter is really the best place to find a cat if you aren't interested in a pure bred. The cats in shelters have had to leave their homes for some reason and most are accustomed to sharing their lives with people. It's sad to see those poor kitties in such need. Especially since many shelters around here will euthanize the animals after a period of time if they do not find homes.
Indeed, you won't find much pure breds in a shelter. But I refuse to go to a petstore or a breeder to get the gorgeous cat I'd love to have. There are far too many abandonned cats that I can't get myself to buy one from a breeder. Buying cats doesn't help the stray-situation. I've placed myself under the moral obligation to try and choose a stray or abandonned cat first. Jinx was found as a kitten in a cardboard box near a highway, Smaug was rescued as a kitten from the fangs of a dog and is rather traumatised by it, and Chefren was found on a soon to be built-on ground and brought with his mum into the shelter. They all deserve a good life and though they started with a bit of a lag, I'm glad that we were able to give them a home.

Quote:
Believe me, I know what a lot of barking is. (I have a shetland sheepdog...). But its better than hissing/purring.
I know many people who wouldn't agree. Barking is too much noice IMO.

Quote:
You aren't spending quality time with your pet, getting them and you excercise.
I don't need a dog to excercise, I do karate, that's enough excercise for me and you can't do it with a dog. Besides you can spend as much quality time with a cat as with a dog, in some cases more. My last cat needed to be hugged at least once a day.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:33 AM   #55
Beruthiel's cat

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Indeed, you won't find much pure breds in a shelter. But I refuse to go to a petstore or a breeder to get the gorgeous cat I'd love to have. There are far too many abandonned cats that I can't get myself to buy one from a breeder. Buying cats doesn't help the stray-situation.
I agree. My cat Jasper was a nearly-feral kitty of the streets when he found me (and stole my heart away...). He never would have survived that life and although it took three months of intensive and patient interaction, he came to trust me and allow me to take him into my home. He has never once tried to go back outdoors since the moment I brought him inside thirteen years ago.

Oddly, though, I did once buy a cat from a pet store. It was about a week after I had lost my half-siamese calico cat to kidney disease (she was only seven years old). My ex-husband and I went to the mall to do some shopping. The pet shop was next to Sears. My ex said he'd meet me there when I was finished at Sears. I found him in the back of the store, watching an adorable calico kitten. He got the clerk to let us hold her. The grief for the cat we had just lost was so raw, we couldn't bear the thought of taking home another cat, so we left the store. After a long night of discussion, he went back the next day and brought her home. She was one of the best cats I've ever known -- extremely smart and very healthy (which is often not the case with pet store animals). He kept her when we separated and she lived to be 16 years old.

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 06-23-2004, 03:35 PM   #56
Nerdanel

Quote:
Originally posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
my two cats have just given bieth, so i have two litters of 3 kittens and we are keeping all 6 with any luck!
Sounds lovely!

I love all animals too. I'd love to have lots and lots of animals; I absolutely prefer them to kids.

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Smaug
Lovely name for a cat!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page

Last edited by Nerdanel : 06-23-2004 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:29 PM   #57
Earniel

Quote:
Lovely name for a cat!
My sister chose it. The cat, however, doesn't live up to her name. She's smoky black and white, she gets scared easily and is very uncertain.

Quote:
Originally posted by Beruthiel's cat
She was one of the best cats I've ever known -- extremely smart and very healthy (which is often not the case with pet store animals).
It's not all too often the case with shelter animals either. Each cat we had from the shelter had a (minor) health problem. Chefren had a cold and a throat infection, Smaug was a little wreck when we got her, she needed pills and eye drops for months. Administering those was a nightmare because of her anxiety problem. Jinx had sneezing disease and a fungus infection, which gave me every time he scratched me incredibly itching itches. We ended up decontaminating the house.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:24 PM   #58
Beruthiel's cat

It's very important that you get proper veteranary care for your cat immediately after aquiring it. I has to be checked for the sake of its own well-being, as well as the safety and health of any other pets in the household and the humans living there as well.

Commonly, parasites such as intestinal worms, fleas and ticks are found upon an initial examination, but other, more deadly diseases could be lurking as well. It is particularly important that a new cat be checked for feline leukemia, feline AIDS and viral diseases that can be easily passed from cat to cat. Feline leukemia and feline AIDS are fatal diseases, but innoculations are available for leukemia now, which are recommended if the cat tests negative and will be exposed to other cats (outdoors) that might be carrying the disease.

My cat lives indoors and is not exposed to other cats. I feel that it is safer if cats are always kept indoors, not only because they are not as likely to be exposed to diseases and parasites, but also because they are less likely to run into the road or encounter unfriendly, cruel people and be harmed.

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 06-28-2004, 03:31 PM   #59
Nerdanel

My cat lives outdoor most of the time. He's better that way. That way he can be the wild animal he is.

Around here, a lot of families have their cats outside. That way no one does any harm to cats in my area.

EDIT: btw, go check out my cat here

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page

Last edited by Nerdanel : 06-28-2004 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:44 PM   #60
Beruthiel's cat

Quote:
EDIT: btw, go check out my cat here
He is a very noble looking cat, Ner! Very handsome indeed. I wish I could post a picture of my cat, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it!

Quote:
My cat lives outdoor most of the time. He's better that way. That way he can be the wild animal he is.

Around here, a lot of families have their cats outside. That way no one does any harm to cats in my area.
I found Jasper outdoors, a feral, wild, kitten. The street I lived on wasn't busy, but I lived near a busy street. Shortly after I took Jasper in, one of his litter-mates was killed by a car on the busy street nearby. I never wanted to let Jasper go out again, and he was never interested in going outdoors once he came inside. He is very happy as an indoor cat!

My mother lets her cats come and go and has (unfortunately) lost a number of her cats to the traffic on the very busy highway near her home. Her pets also have fleas and she is always fighting to get rid of them! Jasper hasn't had fleas since I brought him indoors and gave him a flea bath.

I hope the area you live in is much safer, Ner. I'd hate to see anything happen to your kitty!

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~