Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-06-2002, 11:36 PM   #41
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I got a guitar for Christmas, but I didn't have time to really mess around with it until recently, with school letting out and everything. I can play a few tunes, like beginning of "Sweet Home Alabama", but nothing too complex yet. I'm sure I'll get it all figured out soon. Like any new instrument, it just takes time.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 12:58 AM   #42
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Ahmm...I still can't play it, and now I"m takin up the clarinet as well!
Old 06-07-2002, 11:10 AM   #43
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I am going to go out today probably and try and find a beginners book.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 05:51 PM   #44
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

4 chords and an attitude is all you need

Actually, if you learn a few things you like and play them over and over and over and over....

...you'll get stonger hands and those much needed finger tip callouses. Then you can learn most anything if you've got the ear.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 01:35 PM   #45
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
...you'll get stonger hands and those much needed finger tip callouses.
Yeah, I am going to have to learn on my mom's steel string. I hear that is rough on your hands. Oh well, I have big, fairly strong hands.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 03:37 PM   #46
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

i'd love to be able to play! my dad and sister have guitars though neither are all that good (the people, not the guitars!). my main aim would be to be able to play with the likes of Brian May-THE best guitarist i know. he rocks. who's everyone's favourite guitarist?
Old 06-09-2002, 06:29 PM   #47
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
Johnny Winter
Jimmy Page
Joe Satriani
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 01:19 PM   #48
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

ah yes. Jimi. My dad is possibly his biggest fan. haven't heard of the others though apart from Eric Clapton who my mum is a big fan of.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:45 PM   #49
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
My father.
Old 06-23-2002, 06:24 PM   #50
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

You know, changin' chords quickly is hard.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 08:59 PM   #51
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

You're tellin' me. Especially if you're going to or from F.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 09:50 AM   #52
kiwi
Elven Warrior

are u able to read tabs?........because they are really easy..........both guitar and bass tabs are easy
Old 07-27-2003, 10:08 AM   #53
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Evenstar
I used to play the violin!!! That was fun for about a year!!! Now I cant remember the note!!!

Congrats on the Guitar, Starr Polish!!! Have fun!!!
I had a violin. Actually, I still have it. Liked it for a while, hated my teacher, so that kind of set me off lessons, and after the first year I didn't want to play anymore, but m&d MADE me play for another year before they let me quit. At one point they were threatening to make me play til I was 16!!!

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 10:25 AM   #54
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
I play the violin but dont enjoy the stuff i learn with my teacher. I like to play kinda country muic. like little jigs. they are fun to play. I hate playing classical music.
Lately i have wanted to start playin the guitar. My bro has am acoustic but i am tryin to convince my parents to buy me an electric for christmas. My friend(who happens to be very fit) has offered to teach me aswell. So thats good.

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 11:18 PM   #55
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I'd love to play violin. I've been playing guitar for about 4 years now. I will now give some words of wisdom to those looking to better themselves and be on the road to playing anything that they desire.

For chords . . .

If you're having trouble with a chord, place your fingers where they are supposed to be and press down as hard as you can for 10 seconds. Sometimes this helps your fingers "remember" where to go next time.

Learn the names! This is the easiest way to remember where to place your fingers. Learn everything (example the differences between a Dmaj7 and a Dsus9). Both played with a D root, but very different fingering. Learning all the suffixes will tell your fingers EXACTLY where to go each time.

Know all the notes on a guitar's neck. This will help you in figuring out where to start a chord, or scale for that matter.

Scales and the rest . . .

Practice scales everyday. This is key. By doing this and ONLY this you can become better than you might think. It helps excercise the fingers, helps picking accuracy, is a good timing excercise, and demonstrates how single notes work together to form harmony. (each chord is a bunch of notes played on the same scale, that's the basic tie-in)

Start with the Major scale. That is the most important because all other scales are just variations of it. Other important scales to remember are the Minor, Phrygian Mode, Lydian Mode, Mixolydian Mode, and Dorian Mode.

To find all this stuff look on a guitar website and look for a scale generator. Easy to find.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote