Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-28-2002, 01:33 AM   #41
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Faramir can't kill the witch-king though. That totally ruins the whole "can't be killed by a man" thing about the witch-king. It has to be Eowyn. I'd hate it if they cut out too much of her role.

I think the ending will have to be bittersweet. You can't have a Hollywood happy happy joy joy ending to this because I think they are going for that "epic" feel. No proper "epic" feel movie can end on a sick-sweet happy happy note and still retain that feel. It would be lame. Although they could soften it, they couldn't sugar-coat it.

I don't like omissions as much as I like outright distortions. E.g. I can deal with lifting the scouring of the shire (a clean lift! ) , but I couldn't deal with a scouring that was changed so that the hobbits were rescued by a bunch of elves who happened to be wandering by and it was Sauron instead of Saruman they were trying to chase out or some other weird, inexplicable change.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 12:20 PM   #42
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Well I just read on tolkien online that the scouring of the shire is cut out for sure. I left a more explicit post in the TT Edit thread.

I read a while back (before the movie was released ) that the single most moving scene in the entire shoot was the Grey Havens scene. So no Hollywood joy fest. Thankfully.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 08:14 PM   #43
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I haven't gotten to the scouring yet, BUT...
I think it will make sense to leave it out. Most movies can only base on one major theme, thus, the destroying of the one ring/Sauron.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:41 PM   #44
Evenstar
Elven Warrior

I just know that I am going to cry when the last film finishes!!!

I have a question. You know how in the appendix they have what happens to the fellowship afterward, like Pippin becoming a Thain and Sam eventually going to the Havens, will they have that in the movie???
I think that showing it will be the only way that I won't be on my knees wailing!!! Those last three words from Sam "Well, I'm back", had me sitting on my bed bawling, thinking, GO TO FRODO!!!
Old 02-28-2002, 11:18 PM   #45
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I know one way they could ruin it. After Sam says "I'm back.", He stands up and the camera zooms out to show the set, the booms, the lights, and he proceeds to show introduce the rest of the cast including voice actors a la sitcom season ender. PJ then shows up with a copy each of the 3 DVDs trying to make a sales pitch.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 11:48 AM   #46
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

Yeah, that would sort of turn me off to the end, haha. I really hope they keep Sam's Song in there...I really love that and I would be really ticked off if they cut it out. If they don't keep it, how is Sam going to find Frodo?
~Rosie~
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 11:54 AM   #47
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
I know one way they could ruin it. After Sam says "I'm back.", He stands up and the camera zooms out to show the set, the booms, the lights, and he proceeds to show introduce the rest of the cast including voice actors a la sitcom season ender. PJ then shows up with a copy each of the 3 DVDs trying to make a sales pitch.
Don't be stupid.
Of course that won't be at the end of the Return of the King.
They will save that for the special edition.

Sheesh......
Old 03-01-2002, 12:09 PM   #48
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Wow. LOL, I should've used the happy smiley. I was expecting laughter and I get scorn instead. Take it easy hamster

Anyway, now that you've brought up special edition; wouldn't it be cool if they did sindar and quenya audio tracks aside from the director commentaries?

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...

Last edited by Arathorn : 03-01-2002 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-01-2002, 12:20 PM   #49
Earenya
Elven Warrior

I still say its a shame that they're cutting the scouring. I mean, sure, after the destruction of the ring and 3 years for the non readers to wait its definately a cleaner ending. But come on- its part of the point. Its part of what makes it ok for Gandalf/Elves to leave, because the little people, because the mortals, are able to fend for themselves- its an example of what the end of the third age is an end of- the end of 'magic' being needed.
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 01:09 PM   #50
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
[B]Wow. LOL, I should've used the happy smiley. I was expecting laughter and I get scorn instead.
No you didn't, you got a silly answer, delivered deadpan. Of course, with text the effect is lost somewhat, so I am probably more guilty of the need to have put a there!

Quote:
Take it easy hamster
You must be thinking of a relative of mine
Old 03-10-2002, 11:17 AM   #51
Khadrane
Elf Lord

They better have the Scouring of the Shire. I would be so ticked off if they make Saruman die on a spikey wheel. I also hope they leave the Dead Marshes in.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 11:23 AM   #52
Rosie-Lass
Elven Warrior

They're leaving the Dead Marshes in, Elijah Wood said that it was his favourite thing to film.
Old 03-10-2002, 05:23 PM   #53
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

I can't believe that they atre cutting out the Scouring of the Shire! That is one of my favourite parts!

And i really don't like Arwen and ill be really mad if she is in it too much!

Can someone please e-mail me with answers to these questions?

What does Arwen do in the next 2 films? - I mean i have read that she virtually takes over Eowyns part, and acts as a guide to Frodo and Sam.
Which parts are being left out and which ones are being modifyed?

I know that that sounds like a lot but i need to know.

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 07:30 PM   #54
Earenya
Elven Warrior

A GUIDE to Frodo & Sam? hmm, Im not so sure about that...
Tiro! El eria e mor
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Old 03-10-2002, 08:13 PM   #55
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

I think you were referring to this post - but I may be wrong - Arwen's role expanded in Two Towers and Return of the King

In it I make a sarcastic senario where Arwen is a guide to Frodo and Sam and then takes Eowyn's part. Rest assured these were just sarcastic senarios I made up about how Jackson could expand her role. Jackson completely destoryed the Flight to the Ford scene by making her take over everyone's part - I was just thinking more ways he could do that in TT and RotK.

I just wanted to put you at ease - I really don't think Jackson, unless he has a death wish, will be doing the two scenarios I made up. However, Arwen, I feel, will be just as hateable in the next two movies.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-10-2002 at 08:29 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 08:32 PM   #56
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Taking off from Gerbil's suggestion of a special edition DVD on this thread, I posted on a similar similar thread (Tom Bombadil) with the following:

Quote:
Give it a few years. Technology will be available for a special edition DVD or even one of the new Blu-ray discs(in 1 to 3 yrs) which can store a little more than 5 times that of DVD's today. With today's games allowing you to paste and even morph your pics. on to game players, they can easily do a remake of the Arwen scenes or even get EW and Co. to redo THEM plus a new actor for Glorfindel. They can then come up with original and enhanced plotline features on the discs. This goes for Maggot, Tom, and anyone else not in the current release.
It worked for ILM/Lucas; why not for WETA/PJ?

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...
Old 03-11-2002, 02:17 PM   #57
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Thank you, jerseydevil. I was indeed concerned... I honestly dont mind expanding her role a bit, but major alterations that affect other characters positions (like Frodo at the Ford) are just ridiculous.
Tiro! El eria e mor
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Old 03-11-2002, 02:20 PM   #58
Ararax
Elven Warrior

watch arwens gonna start talking like mesa nowsa yousa just to put he as one of the most hated charaters ever lol
Old 03-11-2002, 02:22 PM   #59
Nibs
Head Hollara

That would be fine with me, as long as Aragorn slays her instead of marrying her.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 02:29 PM   #60
Ararax
Elven Warrior

lol