Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-16-2002, 10:06 PM   #41
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Can't we all just get along? I know that's an overused quote, but it's true. As a 'training pacifist' (I still have a temper over silly things) I hate to see people fight, especially over little things like this.

Bropous, I've read many of your replies and I feel it would be a great loss to the moot if you left. I'm new, but I've figured out that you're pretty cool.

Martinez, I haven't heard much from you, perhaps simply because I'm not interested in some of the threads you post at, but even if bropous did 'start it', there is no point in EITHER of you getting too upset.

Tsk. Such a small thing. Such a little thing.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:09 PM   #42
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Starr Polish

Tsk. Such a small thing. Such a little thing.
Allowing abusive behavior to go unchecked, unchallenged, is never "such a little thing".

People like Bropous have ruined many online forums through the years. They need to be dealt with swiftly and sternly. All he had to do this last time around was refrain from starting a second flame war with me. That WAS all he had promised.

And his promise wasn't even good for two days.

So, don't bother laying this at MY feet. I was ignoring him and had no intention of replying to him again until he decided it would be okay to break his word.

If you miss having someone like THAT around, you're in for some very rough times ahead as you become more involved with the Net.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 10:39 PM   #43
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Note I said "Either of you". I am not laying this at your feet, not by a long shot. In my personal opinion, if you don't like something on a forum, ignore it. If you find it offensive, report it. That's that.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:48 PM   #44
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Quote:
Note I said "Either of you". I am not laying this at your feet, not by a long shot. In my personal opinion, if you don't like something on a forum, ignore it. If you find it offensive, report it. That's that.
Doesn't work. Trust me. I've been dragged down this road too many times.

I WAS, after all, ignoring him anyway. And he decided to draw attention to himself. The only way to deal with flamers is to put a stop to their flames. If they want to participate in a community, they must BE a part of the community -- responsible and civil.

Otherwise, they are just bullies, pushing people around, and the more they are tolerated and supported, the more they push, and then you end up with a gang of bullies who like to verbally abuse anyone they take a disliking to. The community evaporates as other people seek out better forums.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:08 PM   #45
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

It seems several people here have expressed dismay at the thought of losing bropous.

Personally, I like you both. I also will not get into a blame game. I think that there was situation were you BOTH could have done something better.

How about AT THIS POINT YOU BOTH IGNORE EACH OTHER.

This way the board does not suffer form the loss of either of you.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 11:13 PM   #46
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Afro-Elf, that was a very wise post. I think you should change your name to Afro Wizard.

(sung to the tune of "My Boyfriend's Back")
Now, Gandalf's back, and you're gonna be in trouble
(Hey-la, hey-la---Now, Gandalf's back)
Soon, Barad-dur is gonna be a pile of rubble
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 11:17 PM   #47
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

I agree with you completely, afro-elf.

Anyway, back to the original flow of the thread.

If dwarves are born with beards, that'd make childbirth rater...odd.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:26 PM   #48
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

RE

Michael Martinez is definately not the one in the wrong here. Bropous constantly misreads people's messages and doesn't show an ounce of sensitivity when talking to people.

I'll point you out to the thread entitled 'Notes Towards Orcology' for the most extreme case of Bropous' behaviour. He completely misunderstood what Kiri the author of the thread had written and promptly proceeded to HUMILIATE him because he THOUGHT that Kiri was insulting Tolkien, which those of us who actualy read the message properly, know wasn't the case at all.

He did apologise for his actions ( or it was implied maybe ) later on in the thread. Yet the nastiness doesn't end here. In another thread he went on to call Michael Martinez' book 'not worth the paper it was printed on' or something along those lines ( Bropous hasn't read it by the way )

Again in this thread he has to be hurtful; making insults that have no basis in fact:

Quote:
I kept to my promise as long as self-respect could allow. You have shown such puerile immaturity in the face of sincere desire to build bridges you are beneath contempt, and from this point on, are not worth the energy to waste words upon. Tolkien himself would throw you to the wolves as a poser, copycat, and scholar only of bathroom stall graffitti. How 'bout you actually write a book of originality instead of standing on the back of the Master? Y'ain't got it, Martinez, you never had it, and as for "quoting discarded works", it seems your entire "book" [sic] is constructed of such "cast-offs". Pot calling the kettle black, Mikey-poo. I'd rather discuss the works of Tolkien with someone of greater mental agility, such as a retarded troll.
And before people start jumping on MM for calling Bropous an 'ass hole' it should be pointed out that he didn't start to refer to Bropous as an 'ass hole' untill after he'd been the recipient of Bropous' legion of unfounded hurtful comments. One can only be civil to a point.

Some of you might remember that I had a similar argument with Michael Martinez about a year ago ( though not nearly to this scale ) I'm sorry to say that I exhibited equaly childish behaviour as Bropous. I swiftly saw the error of my ways though and accpted all blame and apologised. Well...he didn't accept my apology and I'm certain that he won't accept your's either Bropous, especialy as you keep doing the things that you so often apologise for.
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2002, 11:37 PM   #49
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Captain Stern, apologies are a dime a dozen. Exemplary behavior is much more appealing, and you and I have not locked horns since.

And though I am sure people may now feel it might help to leap to my defense, or to point out that Bropous actually flamed me on at least one previous occasion (he apologized then, too), it would (in my humble opinion) be best to just let this thread die.

I will eventually pay for claiming to be in command of all the facts. I have laid myself open for recrimination of a type you should all hope will never occur on this forum.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:41 PM   #50
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

What I mean, Captain Stern, is that I had completely forgotten you and I had ever exchanged harsh words. I have too many other things to attend to, to remember every past fight, and have no wish to remember them. So your apology, at least, was a worthwhile one. Thank you.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:58 PM   #51
Nibs Cotton
Sapling

Although,Bropous had some interesting thoughts,and opinions(I read much more than I post.),I can see Michael's point of view.Why allow this kind behavior?I'm a member of four posting forums,and this one is the best,I've been hooked ever since I watched the movie,and searched,and found the Entmoot.It is very well organized,and virtually flame free.And it's about one of my favorite subjects.I think it's up to Michael to decide if he wants to accept his apology.I'm sure more people will side with Bropous,since he seemed sincere in his apology,but he also seemed sincere in his attack.Maybe Michael could ignore him,but seeing several "sincere" apologies,by Bropous,this looks to be a reoccuring event.
Nibs Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 12:00 AM   #52
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Strider

That's an interesting flame war if you ask me...unpleasant but gives the rest of us something else to read about from time to time...

keep posting if you still want to, though...because

i am always in personal need of your opinions and lore...been reading quite a bit of MM's work since I downloaded it a month ago...helps a lot in making me understand those many versions of text. i also enjoy brops' humor and inputs..

Now going back to bearded infants:

I personally think the females would be rolling in ticklish labor and therefore have no need for the hubby to coach:"Breath, you hairy lovemuffin...huh...huh...huh..."

P.S.

Afro-Elf, I personally picture you to be a groovier version of Tuvok, IMHO....

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 01-17-2002 at 12:05 AM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 12:09 AM   #53
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

A few posts back, I told Afro Elf he used the wisdom of a wizard. I, on the other hand, can not be credited with the same thing. I too often take sides without knowing all the facts and history involved. So Michael, I apologize for opening my big mouth out of my own misguided ignorance. I should been more gracious. For all I knew, this feud could have gone back as far as the one bewteen the Arabs and the Israels, or the Elves and the Dwarves. I'm sorry for accusing you when I didn't know what was going on. Now, I will make the trip to see a different wizard, and I shall be singing "If I Only Had a Brain."
I still think that AfroElf's idea was the best. BOTH of you just ignore each other. BOTH!!! or it won't work.

Old 01-17-2002, 12:10 AM   #54
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Ticklish labor? There's a thought! If she was rolling around, wouldn't the infant get smushed?
Old 01-17-2002, 12:13 AM   #55
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Did Dwarf birth announcements contain the following information?

Sex: Female
Weight: 4 pounds, 6 ounces
Length: 18 inches
Length of Beard: 8 inches (and forked)

Old 01-17-2002, 01:35 AM   #56
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

If they're born in the afternoon, would they have a three o'clock shadow?
Okay, that's bad, but hey.
Old 01-17-2002, 01:37 AM   #57
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Ticklish labor? There's a thought! If she was rolling around, wouldn't the infant get smushed?
Yup!...That's what I think.

In fact, I would venture that it might be one of the reasons why they are so used to the rock and..er...enclosed places...

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Old 01-17-2002, 06:28 AM   #58
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Ragamuffin, thanks for the compliments.

P.S. I've heard the term ragamuffin in the reggae cirlce forever. What does it mean? I assumed ( and ya know what that does) it meant
Raga= reggae Muffin= girl

But you're male, so that crushed that particular thought.

Arathorn

In appearance and voice I look and sound exceedingly similar to Michael Dorn the actor who plays Worf.

In manner and emotions and I AM a complete composite of Worf and Tuvac.

Thus my friends often call be Warvoc.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.

Last edited by afro-elf : 01-17-2002 at 06:30 AM.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 07:15 AM   #59
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

giving birth to bearded babies? i dunno...

all i can say is that's one hell of a place to get beard rash! *blush*
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 11:00 AM   #60
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Afro elf:

Er...Warvoc....

Turf sounds better IMHO...

luinilwen:

I think that tops it for me...

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Put aside the ranger...