Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-10-2002, 12:04 AM   #41
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Comic Book Guy,

I think there is a close up of just Pippin and Merry from Gandalf's point of view just after they say "Let's get another one!" and Gandalf grabs their ears and just before the scene where they are washing the dishes while Gandalf watches over them.

'Am talking of the point where Gandalf addresses them:
"Ah, Meriadoc Brandybuck and Peregrin Took... I might have known."
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 12:11 AM   #42
fedos
Hobbit

There is a close up of Merry and Pippin from Gandalf's perspective, it shows them covered in soot from the firework. They didn't bother to clean up before doing the dishes. Whichever one was drying didn't bother washing his hands before touching the clean dishes.

Although Gandalf did look smug seeing them to their task.
But the discord of Melkor rose in uproar and contended with it, and again there was a war of sound more violent than before, until many of the Ainur were dismayed and sang no longer, and Melkor had the mastery.
fedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 12:26 AM   #43
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

oh those are just scare crows?

I thought that hobbits killed any outsiders (except Gandalf) gutted them, and put them out on a pole to dry.

I have a few other ideas about what they might be but......

well now that we have a 9 year old on the loose j/k I don't really have any nasty ideas (well more nasty anyhow).

speaking of which...... HOW THE HECK CAN A NINE YEAR OLD SPELL BETTER THAN ME?!!?!?!

like, I knaw hi wath bard, bert thet bard?

unless his MOM spell checks it for him. (which leads us to a whole new level of "scary")
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 04:19 PM   #44
Kyote Fields
Elven Warrior

It is my firm conviction that the car seen in the background of the scarecrow scene is full of elves going to the Grey Havens.
Old 01-11-2002, 04:34 PM   #45
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Elven Auto

Kyote Fields, I think your theory about the car being a form of elvish transport is correct. I believe it was a Cadillac Eldar-ado.
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 01:37 PM   #46
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

No, it was not Elves going to the Grey Havens in an Eldar-ado. It was the "Watch on the Shire" driving past in a Ford Ranger.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 01:45 PM   #47
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

GROOOAAANNN!!!
I suppose your going to tell me that the Ranger was bought at a dealership alongside the River Bruinen, therefore it was one of the Fords of Bruinen...
Old 01-12-2002, 02:22 PM   #48
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I think I'll Ram right past this roadblock and Dodge the issue...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-12-2002, 02:32 PM   #49
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

LOL This is KILLING me!! I think I'll go over to Beorn's neighborhood and ask him to throw me off CARrock. My poor brain can't take any more puns!!
Old 01-12-2002, 03:45 PM   #50
Churl
Elven Warrior

This thread, just like "What would you do? heh heh heh . . .", has officially crossed over into "scary fan" territory. And I love it!

By the way: I watched for the car during my third, most recent viewing. Are we talking about the thing that's kicking up a cloud of dust/smoke in the background?

Even when I was watching for it, it looked like nothing more modern than a cottage with smoke coming from its chimney. Any "headlights" appeared to be just light shining from a window.

If this isn't what you're talking about, then I couldn't see it even when I looked for it.

Additionally, if these are the worst gaffes in the (three hour) movie, then I have even more respect for Jackson and the production team.
Churl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 12:35 AM   #51
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Churl, you know, I saw the film for the sixth time today, and when I looked for the car's headlights, they weren't there! I it possible some theaters got a "corrected" version? I know I was looking in exactly the right place at the right time, but this viewing, the headlights just weren't there!

Actually, the headlights appeared just to the left of the smoke. The smoke was, supposedly, from a chimney. The car is shown by headlights peeping on the horizon, to the far right of the screen, again, just to the left of the smoke.
Old 01-13-2002, 01:22 AM   #52
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

YO, BROPOUS!!

I loved your puns yesyerday. They were pretty bad, which is what puns are supposed to be.
I was out in your corner of the Shire last March. Went to Garden of the Gods and Focus on the Family. Real beautiful country. Do Ents like living in that altitude? I didn't see any, as far as I can tell.
Old 01-13-2002, 02:59 AM   #53
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Sure Ents live at these altitudes, ragamuffin, recall that Quickbeam's people, the people of Skinbark, lived on the mountain slopes above Isengard. Only thing is, our local variety of Ents look like aspens!

Glad you made it to our neck of the woods, this is truly a paradise.
Old 01-13-2002, 03:01 AM   #54
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I couldn't find the car. I just didn't see it. I saw the smoke, but now car.
Huh.
Well, a thing ran in my paper about that website, and how someone that worked for PJ went to review adn see if the mistakes were true and couldn't find any of them. But...
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 05:33 AM   #55
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

i picked this one up from the website you mentioned:

Quote:
The two portraits in oval frames hanging above the fireplace in Bag End are of Peter Jackson and Phillipa Boyens
pretty cool if it's true. i guess this is an "easter egg" (you really do learn something new everyday! ) so i'll have to look out for it when i next see the movie.
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 06:48 PM   #56
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

They are actually supposed to be Bungo and Belladonna Baggins, parents of Bilbo with Peter Jackson and his Partners faces.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 06:54 PM   #57
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

"Bungo" . . . what a name. It's almost as bad as "Groin the Dwarf."

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 09:01 PM   #58
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well, I know for a fact that I DID see the headlights in the scarecrow scene on the fifth viewing of the film, but in the sixth viewing, when I pointed it out for my girlfriend to watch for it too, it simply did not occur. No headlights. Had to be either a re-edit or a new copy of the film.

Well, FrodoFriend, at least it wasn't "Dung-O," LOL!
Old 01-14-2002, 12:10 AM   #59
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Not really anything to do with the film as such, but I have a FotR calender.
It's a small official one with 1 page per day, with a quote or pic on each page.

Anyway, for Jan 5/6 (weekends are done together) there's a picture of Strider leading the Hobbits towards Weathertop.
This shot isn't used in the film as far as I'm aware.

BUT (drum roll please!) Weathertop has no ruins on top of it, it's just the hill.

Tres bizarre - does anyone know if PJ actually built the ruins on top or they were just CG and the set was only on a stage somewhere?
Old 01-14-2002, 12:27 AM   #60
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Are you totally sure he's leading them to Amon Sul?