Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-15-2002, 11:50 PM   #41
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Nope - JD is fine.

I should say - that I liked the movie - I just don't think it's the greatest movie or anything like that - as I said before I give it an 8. And certain character changes just annoy me - Aragorn's being one of them. If the action scenes were in any other movie - I wouldn't have minded. It's just that I think Jackson "Hollywoodized" LOTR too much for the general public.

I'm also partially upset that so many of my friends have a distorted view of LOTR because of the movie - and refuse to read the books. One has repeatedly told me that the hobbits were weak and Boromir should have been given the Ring. He has also said that it's no different than the changes that are being made in the Spider-Man movie. Which I do not understand how someone can compare a comic book with The Lord of the Rings epic.

But oh well - I'll fall into the whole hype thing and go see LOTR again when the TT trailer gets added next week. I'll buy the DVDs and the movie posters and anything else I can get my hands on. But I know the only reason why is because it's LOTR and not because of the movie itself. It's only because of my love of the books that I' repeatedly go to see it - and I know that - even if I don't agree with Jackson's changes and "interpretation".

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 12:04 AM   #42
olsonm
Elf Lord

Forgive me, but your friend seems to be a few bricks shy. Someone has a friend who couldn't tell that Strider and Aragorn were the same person! I hear what your saying about 'hollywoodization' (and I agree), but if PJ can't relie on people paying simple attention what can he do?
Old 03-16-2002, 01:12 AM   #43
olsonm
Elf Lord

Gosh I just re-read that last post and it seemed kinda harsh. Sorry jd.
Old 03-16-2002, 01:29 AM   #44
jerseydevil

Nazgul

No - that's alright. I told him I can't even talk to him about the movie anymore.

The surprising thing is he's getting his MBA in english or something. He also wants to be a script writer. It seems like I've gotten into a lot of arguments with him about it. I told him if he reads the books, which hopefully he will - then maybe we can discuss the movie. Until that time it's impossible to talk to him about why I have problems with the movie. When I mentioned the Flight to the Ford scene - he told me that was his favorite scene. I think with LOTR fans - that's the most hated.

I can't believe that someone didn't pick up that Strider and Aragorn were the same though. What did they do - sleep through half the movie? Maybe Jackson didn't dumb down the movie enough.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 03-16-2002 at 01:33 AM.
Old 03-16-2002, 01:37 AM   #45
olsonm
Elf Lord

Keep plugging away at him jd. Mustess have morrre readersss of precious booksess!
Old 03-16-2002, 01:41 AM   #46
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Oh - I've always tried getting people to read the books. Now with the movie it's a little bit frustrating - so many tell me "Why should I? I like the movie and I'm satisfied with that."

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-16-2002, 01:45 AM   #47
olsonm
Elf Lord

Smack them. Then tell them that the book is better. Then smack them again. Repeat. (note: if non-violent substitute tickles for smacks.)
Old 03-16-2002, 01:52 AM   #48
jerseydevil

Nazgul

Generally nonviolent, but sometimes violence is required, such as is in this case. Now if I could only get my cousins to even see the movie.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 03-16-2002, 02:00 AM   #49
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
Generally nonviolent, but sometimes violence is required, such as is in this case.
LOL!
Old 03-16-2002, 02:21 AM   #50
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I know I'm mentioning this a little late, but whoever thought of Johnny Depp as Aragorn, elvet I think, well, he'd be good, but I've got that Sleepy Hollow image of him, and I'd expect him to faint every ten minutes or something. Same problem as Hugo Weaving being Elrond, I have too strong of an impression of that actor as a different character!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 02:36 AM   #51
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Hey, you stole my bit about him fainting, Eruviel! Die, evil stealer of wit! Okay, okay, I'm tired and therefore not making any sense. But I'll try.
Having seen the movie three times, Hugo Weaving has gotten less and less annoying...I still think "Agent Elrond" though, every time I see him! LOL....he was bloodly awesome at the battle, though.
I have severe mixed feelings (is that an oxymoron?) about the movie. I love it, really I do, I think it's great moviemaking, and it's wonderfully entertaining, but then some things just really bug me so badly I could scream (only I don't, cause so far it's only in a theatre near you). The Flight to the Ford scene...well, suffice to say I'm glad they at least kept Glorfindel's horse. And all those battles, well...they get better, I supppose, but the troll one in particular is just a bit too long. And Galadriel...I thought Blanchett was awesome. She creeped me out, just with that little frown and those terrifying eyes of hers! And I really think PJ didn't need to make her go all negative and windy and bellow like that. If I didn't know her lines (hah, having memorized 90% of LOTR) I wouldn't have understood what she was saying. Personally I think she has enough acting talent to pull that off herself, and it would've been more "human" (in quotes because she is, well, an elf) to see the struggle of the ring come simply out of her, instead of tech. effects.
On the other hand, I guess I can kinda see how PJ had to change all this...though some I really don't agree with..anyway, here I am playing Devil's advocate to myself. Lots of changes had to be made to please the public who hadn't read LOTR and were going to the movie for entertainment. Those who aren't...well...ya know, like US. The A/A romance was pumped up, at least partly, to draw people in. Romance does that. Giving Arwen a bigger part was probably to sedate the people who would be up in arms going "why weren't there any WOMEN?" (Well, cause it was written that way, lo siento, pero no hay nada que puedo hacer!)
And I also agree with whoever it was (olsenm?) that said that the reason the movies were enjoyable was precicely because they couldn't be the books on film. You see, film is inherently different from literature, and attempts to bring books to film usually fail miserably. About the only literature I can think of at the moment that lends itself to film is Shakespeare, and well...Bill was ahead of his time. Heh. So of course the movie isn't going to be the book-as-movie. It's going to be PJ's version of LOTR, on film. Is that differentiation making sense? I'm trying to explain, and it makes sense in my head. *sigh*

Okay. That's not nearly everything, but I'll let you off easy tonight. Sorry about being all rambly and strange and probably just resaying stuff.
Anyone who actually read this whole thing: THANK YOU!

Oh, and to answer the actual Q of the thread: I love Viggo's Aragorn. Most of the character choices were partly PJ's, most likely (sue me, I only know theatre acting), and I thought he did a wonderful job.

-tano
this is all of course my own humble hobbit opinion.

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Last edited by Tanoliel : 03-16-2002 at 02:41 AM.
Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2002, 03:07 AM   #52
Eruviel Greenleaf

Sorry, Tano!!!!
I feel your wrath. . .

Well, you weren't here. But I should have at least credited you, huh? My most humble apologies, oh great provider of Lembas!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-16-2002, 06:34 PM   #53
olsonm
Elf Lord

Tanoliel

I read it all, and your welcome! olsEnm? Now That's annoying! (inside joke )
I can't tell if the 'quote' is from me but I'll take credit anyway!
Old 03-17-2002, 02:15 AM   #54
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

Heh..uh...oops. Sorry, olsOnm!
Yeah...go ahead and take credit!
Ya know, Eruviel, I feel like Frodo threatening Gollum with Sting:
"BEHAVE, or thou shalt feel my wrath! I shall no longer give you LEMBAS! YAHHHH!"
-tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Old 03-17-2002, 02:59 AM   #55
Eruviel Greenleaf

No lembas? Whatever shall I do? Oh, how could you be so cruel, Tano?

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-18-2002, 08:09 PM   #56
Richard
Sapling

I think the casting, when it came to Aragorn, was perfect. I thought he was the perfect Strider. He is dark and mysterious, just like he should've been.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 09:40 PM   #57
Eruviel Greenleaf

I couldn't agree more, Richard. Welcome to entmoot!

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-18-2002, 09:55 PM   #58
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Liam Neeson? Yeeesh...

As with most of the movie, what problems there weer with the aragorn character were not witht he actor playing him.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:31 AM   #59
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

I agree, Wayfarer--the character problems that most people seem to have with the "movieverse" Aragorn were character choices made by PJ, I would assume, when he changed the story.
Welcome, Richard!
-tano

Food Of The Gods:

Feed Me....