Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-04-2002, 05:14 PM   #41
Keith K
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Nibs
What if he flapped his arms really REALLY fast?
You may have something there Nibs. He might've put a hurt on Gandalf from the odor such action would generate.

Quote:
"Aren't you glad you use Ban, don't you wish everyone did?"

Last edited by Keith K : 12-04-2002 at 05:17 PM.
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2002, 03:28 PM   #42
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Hamlet got it all wrong, to have, or not to have wings, is the “real” question. ::

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 02:19 PM   #43
Blackboar
Legolas's beloved sister and Queen of the Wood Elves of Mirkwood

Location: Under the hill at Bag-end, Hobbiton the Shire Or Rivendell,I can't remember!!!!!!!!!!
If...it can fly I can understand it not flyingin Moria-to confined a space but I don't understand how it fell of a mountain. I t wasn't that injured, it never actually died until it hit the bottom so I would say it can't fly!! Penguins can't fly, Ostrices can't fly so thats my opinion!
Blackboar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 05:19 AM   #44
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
but I don't understand how it fell of a mountain. I t wasn't that injured, it never actually died until it hit the bottom so I would say it can't fly!!
How do you know it wasn't that injured? It had been fighting for ten days. Gandalf was evidently so injured, for he died without plummeting to his death. If you shoot a sparrow from it's nest, it will fall and die, whether it has wings, or whether it can fly, or not.
Old 12-24-2002, 04:25 PM   #45
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
originally posted by Blackboar
If...it can fly I can understand it not flyingin Moria-to confined a space but I don't understand how it fell of a mountain. I t wasn't that injured, it never actually died until it hit the bottom so I would say it can't fly!! Penguins can't fly, Ostrices can't fly so thats my opinion!
I supported the theory that this balrog had wings though it wasn't able to use them... as Blackboar said. It is logical... *thinking few minuts* but than, if they had wings, WHY? Maybe because they wanted to look more frightening?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2002, 06:03 PM   #46
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

The putatvie wings may have heat exchange organs, like the finned dinosaurs had, which were also used for threat and display.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 01:22 PM   #47
Fair Ranger
Sapling

I think the Balrog is like a chicken or a penguin. I mean, a big chicken or a penguin, but one none the less.

I mean, chickens and penguins have wings, but they don't fly. Actually, neither do ostritches!!! Mind you, it would be a lot less scary if it was a giant chicken chasing you instead of the Balrog!

Fair Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 01:26 PM   #48
Fair Ranger
Sapling

Sam Gamgee

Quote:
Originally posted by Ñólendil
How do you know it wasn't that injured? It had been fighting for ten days. Gandalf was evidently so injured, for he died without plummeting to his death. If you shoot a sparrow from it's nest, it will fall and die, whether it has wings, or whether it can fly, or not.
But if you shoot a sparrow from it's nest, it will be dead before it hits the ground, so surely it couldn't fly even if it wanted?

Fair Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 04:07 PM   #49
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
originally posted by FR
But if you shoot a sparrow from it's nest, it will be dead before it hits the ground, so surely it couldn't fly even if it wanted?
I think he meant that the sparrow will not die from hitting the ground. He meant that the sparrow will die from the shot.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 09:14 PM   #50
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

My points is actually that it does not matter when it dies (at impact of arrow, or earth) -- what matters is that any bird will not be saved by its wings after being shot, whether it can fly or not. The argument that The Balrog couldn't have had wings because he fell is thus absurd. The title of this thread if "If the Balrogs had wings, how could he fall?" My answer is "he was mortally wounded and dead tired", wings or not, flight or not, he fell and I don't know why anyone wonders why. Smaug fell and died when Bard shot him, wings, flight, and all, and no one questions that.

Last edited by Ñólendil : 12-30-2002 at 09:16 PM.
Ñólendil is offline   Reply With Quote