Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-19-2008, 04:44 PM   #41
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
I had forgotten about that illustration.

Two questions:
  1. Is that Sauron after the Ring has been destroyed, reaching out toward the Captains of the West and the expeditionary force of Dunedain and Rohirrim?
  2. Does he have one eye or two? (If he has a third eye, it must be in the back of his head, as many children recall their mothers claiming...)
I don't have the book - so I can't check. But I think the illustration is of this passage:
Quote:
And as the Captains gazed south to the Land of Mordor, it seemed to them that, black against the pall of cloud, there rose a huge shape of shadow, impenetrable, lightning-crowned, filling all the sky. Enormous it reared above the world, and stretched out towards them a vast threatening hand, terrible but impotent: for even as it leaned over them, a great wind took it, and it was all blown away, and passed; and then a hush fell.
If it is the case, it is not a real flesh-and-blood Sauron (who was NOT gigantic) , but some illusion.
Yet, I think I see TWO eyes!

NEL - I don't really see why you discuss the ability of Palantirs to see in the Spirit World. Pippin clearly saw over the Palantir Sauron's physical body, not the Eye:
Quote:
'And then he came and questioned me; and he looked at me
He did not speak so that I could hear words. He just looked, and I understood. [...]
'Then suddenly he seemed to see me, and he laughed at me. It was cruel. It was like being stabbed with knives. I struggled. But he said: "Wait a moment! We shall meet again soon. Tell Saruman that this dainty is not for him. I will send for it at once. Do you understand? Say just that!"
'Then he gloated over me. I felt I was falling to pieces. No, no! I can't say any more. I don't remember anything else.'
It was in Galadriel's Mirror that Frodo saw the Eye. And the Mirror, unlike the Palantirs, that are merely high-tech, is a purely magical device, even Galadriel herself admits as much. ("But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel. Did you not say that you wished to see Elf-magic?") The Mirror indeed shows visions, not only real things. I guess the Eye in the Mirror was a Spirit-World image.

Also, consider Galadriel's words to Frodo:

Quote:
`Yes,' she said, divining his thought, `it is not permitted to speak of it, and Elrond could not do so. But it cannot be hidden from the Ring-bearer, and one who has seen the Eye. Verily it is in the land of Lórien upon the finger of Galadriel that one of the Three remains. This is Nenya, the Ring of Adamant, and I am its keeper.
Suppose for a moment that the Eye is a physical feature of Sauron's body. Then anyone who had simply once seen Sauron (i.e. Gollum, Pippin, Aragorn, Denethor etc. + quite a few orcs,) would afterwards be able to see and recognize Galadriel's Ring? It just doesn't ring true.

Much more plausible is the other explanation: to see the Eye=to be able to see into the Spirit World. And for those who have access there, Galadriel's Ring is no mystery.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:54 PM   #42
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post

NEL - I don't really see why you discuss the ability of Palantirs to see in the Spirit World. Pippin clearly saw over the Palantir Sauron's physical body, not the Eye
Because I do not necessarily believe that Pippin did see S's physical body. Maybe, maybe not. Your quote is, excuse me, too vague to deduce that Pippin saw a body, not the Spirit-world manifestation of S's evil will, the Eye. *bows* Until proved wrong, I'll cling to my view, and try to understand yours to my best ability.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #43
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Elf Lord View Post
Because I do not necessarily believe that Pippin did see S's physical body. ... Your quote is ... too vague to deduce that Pippin saw a body, not the Spirit-world manifestation of S's evil will, the Eye. ... Until proved wrong, I'll cling to my view, and try to understand yours to my best ability. ...
You are free to believe what you like. However, your notion that the palant*ri saw into the “spirit-world” or “wraith-world”, whatever you want to call it – and there is ample evidence in the texts that a “spirit-world” or “wraith-world” exists in Tolkien’s subcreation – is clearly counter to the essay “The Palant*ri” published in Unfinished Tales.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:13 PM   #44
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

I suspect that "Soldiers of the Eye", etc, are the literary device of synecdoche. "A figure of speech in which a part is used for the whole (as hand for sailor),"
Old 12-20-2008, 01:19 AM   #45
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus View Post
I suspect that "Soldiers of the Eye", etc, are the literary device of synecdoche. "A figure of speech in which a part is used for the whole (as hand for sailor),"
<sigh>
It is beginning to look that way. But however things might appear, I think I shall always envision Sauron as cyclopean in my mind's eye.
</sigh>

But I think I will keep a lookout for evidence that he was one-eyed. (What exactly did Frodo see, Sauron looking through a telescope? Was he winking? Have a mote in his eye? Just woke up? Maybe he had pinkeye?)

Old 12-20-2008, 04:44 AM   #46
Noble Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin View Post
You are free to believe what you like. However, your notion that the palant*ri saw into the “spirit-world” ... is clearly counter to the essay “The Palant*ri” published in Unfinished Tales.
Don't have that. Gonna get it someday though.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:28 AM   #47
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
Don't have that.
Fair enough. I've not read the Kalevala, although I understand that it had a powerful influence on Tolkien.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:18 AM   #48
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Because I do not necessarily believe that Pippin did see S's physical body. Maybe, maybe not. Your quote is, excuse me, too vague to deduce that Pippin saw a body, not the Spirit-world manifestation of S's evil will, the Eye. *bows* Until proved wrong, I'll cling to my view, and try to understand yours to my best ability.
Hmmm... interesting.

To throw another kink into all this, and maybe add a little weight to NEL's argument:

My son is reading LOTR (so proud of him!) and lately, I've been reading portions of 'ROTK' with him. I hadn't remembered this, but in 'The Passing of the Grey Company', as Aragorn recounts HIS encounter with Sauron in the Palantir, he says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn
"... I spoke no word to him, and in the end I wrenched the Stone to my own will. That alone he will find hard to endure. And he beheld me. Yes, Master Gimli, he saw me, but in other guise than you see me here."
So Aragorn, at least, was clearly able to project a different view of himself through the Stone. Could Sauron also? (He was not the rightful owner) Would he have bothered to if he could?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:44 AM   #49
CAB
Elven Warrior

Quote:
"... I spoke no word to him, and in the end I wrenched the Stone to my own will. That alone he will find hard to endure. And he beheld me. Yes, Master Gimli, he saw me, but in other guise than you see me here."
I always took that to mean that he just dressed differently for the encounter with Sauron. Maybe the company from the North brought something for him to wear while claiming the Kingship or maybe he simply "showed off" the armor he was wearing. Just something to make him look more "kingly". I seem to recall that Aragorn was accustomed to changing his appearance by conventional methods.
CAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #50
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAB View Post
I always took that to mean that he just dressed differently for the encounter with Sauron. Maybe the company from the North brought something for him to wear while claiming the Kingship or maybe he simply "showed off" the armor he was wearing. Just something to make him look more "kingly". I seem to recall that Aragorn was accustomed to changing his appearance by conventional methods.
Yes, I think so too. And probably this "something" was Valandil's Elendilmir?
Add to this Narsil reforged and the general "kingly air" that Aragorn sometimes adopted. I guess Sau was convinced.

Another thing. I have just stumbled on Gandalf's description of Frodo to Butterbur:
Quote:
'But this one is taller than some and fairer than most, and he has a cleft in his chin: perky chap with a bright eye.
Now we do know Frodo had two eyes!
Old 12-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #51
Valandil

Quote:
:
:
Now we do know Frodo had two eyes!
Do you have a quote to back that up?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 12-20-2008, 07:09 PM   #52
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
Do you have a quote to back that up?
YES!
Quote:
Frodo propped his back against the tree-trunk, and closed his eyes (PLURAL!)
Old 12-21-2008, 09:56 PM   #53
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Gandalf

Quote:
YES!
But could Frodo see out of both eyes?

(Is there a quote to support his ability or inability to see out of both of his eyes?)

Re: Frodo's bright eye.

Maybe one eye was brighter than the other. Maybe Frodo had a shiny glass eye. (I have no quote to support Frodo with a shiny glass eye)

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:54 PM   #54
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

"Bright eyes" are another topic I'm interested in. The "bright eyes" of the Elves are mentioned several times and they seem to be the main distinguishing physical characteristic between Elves and Men, but I'm not sure whether to take the phrase literally.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:10 AM   #55
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrand1r
Maybe one eye was brighter than the other.
Or maybe it's just a long lasting aftereffect of his passionate love for some "stimulating" mushrooms.

Last edited by Olmer : 12-22-2008 at 12:12 AM.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:35 AM   #56
Valandil

Gordis - your quotation only rules out one eye, not three or more.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 12-22-2008, 08:35 AM   #57
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

One eye? Three eyes? Oh dear, you people are insane. Creatively insane, but insane nevertheless. I like this topic, it's amazing how differently people can interpret the same text. I never even considered the possibility of a Cylcopean Sauron until now. I still don't buy it, but I find it an interesting concept.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #58
Noble Elf Lord

I remembered another quote to support the spirit-world Eye, though since I do not possess an English (or whatever) copy of LotR, you have to find it with my guidance. I believe Frodo said near Mt.Doom that there is "no veil" between him and the "wheel/ring of fire". The Ring allowed him to see into the S-W occasionally even when not worn, did it not? The wheel of fire was Sauron, but since Frodo didn't see properly, he couldn't recognize it as the Eye (by his vision) - that, or he knew that Sam knew what he meant. Or both.

Thoughts? Or I know you have thoughts, but what be they?
Old 01-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #59
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
And probably this "something" was Valandil's Elendilmir?
Didn't they only find that later - or is this the copy?

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #60
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
Didn't they only find that later - or is this the copy?
They found Elendil's Elendilmir (E-I) later, in Saruman's hoard: it had been drowned with Isildur. But the Elves made a new one (E-II) for Valandil, and forty Arnor Kings and Chieftains had worn it before it came to Aragorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEL
I remembered another quote to support the spirit-world Eye, though since I do not possess an English (or whatever) copy of LotR, you have to find it with my guidance. I believe Frodo said near Mt.Doom that there is "no veil" between him and the "wheel/ring of fire". The Ring allowed him to see into the S-W occasionally even when not worn, did it not? The wheel of fire was Sauron, but since Frodo didn't see properly, he couldn't recognize it as the Eye (by his vision) - that, or he knew that Sam knew what he meant. Or both.
The "Wheel of Fire" was the Ring itself, not the Eye.
Quote:
Frodo: " And the Ring is so heavy, Sam. And I begin to see it in my mind all the time, like a great wheel of fire"-LOTR, The Land of Shadow
That is how it looked in the Spirit World, I guess.