Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-22-2007, 05:23 AM   #41
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
What's so great about the British police, though?
Ever tried getting arrested by the French police?

Hey Lotsy, that's a great list.

Is there a distinction to be made between "popular" culture and "high" culture? Personally I don't think so, but wondered if that would be worth talking about.

Certainly, in the latter case, the US is very much more international than in the former. Meaning that US popular culture seems, to an outsider, rather insular and uniform in its perspective (U-571 being the apotheosis of this: a true story of wartime heroism rewritten with Americans doing the heroics instead of Brits). That's not to say that the same thing doesn't go on in other cultures though, just perhaps not on such a scale.

In "high" culture, I think the US is very much part of the international scene.

And in either arena, America is very vibrant and leading-edge anyway.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:10 PM   #42
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I watched the U-571 movie. Not a bad movie, but a little on the, um slow side.
I guess I should have remembered a little more of my history...I'm assuming the U-571 was one of the famous U-Boats that we sent over to give aid to the countries we were supporting during WWII. But you say it was a british boat, Gaffer?

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:16 PM   #43
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
I'm assuming the U-571 was one of the famous U-Boats that we sent over to give aid to the countries we were supporting during WWII. But you say it was a british boat, Gaffer?
I thought it was a German boat
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:27 PM   #44
sun-star
Lady of Letters

A German submarine.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:55 PM   #45
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Lotesse you forgot about Bob Ross!

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:36 AM   #46
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
By the way, one of the greatest products of American culture (if that's what you want to call it) must be movies!!! Especially Disney-movies with a happy ending.
Ewww...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:57 AM   #47
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
I watched the U-571 movie. Not a bad movie, but a little on the, um slow side.
I guess I should have remembered a little more of my history...I'm assuming the U-571 was one of the famous U-Boats that we sent over to give aid to the countries we were supporting during WWII. But you say it was a british boat, Gaffer?

U-571 was a U-boat, a German submarine. During WW2, the US kindly kept Britain supplied with the stuff we needed (which debt we just paid off last year, interestingly). The U-boats terrorised the supply ships bringing this stuff across the atlantic. It was called the Battle of the Atlantic. Along with Midway, Stalingrad and North Africa, it was one of the key turning points of the war.

But you'll recall that wasn't the point of the film. The U-boats carried Enigma machines, so they could communicate with German command using the "unbreakable" code. As you also know your computing history, you'll know that the British broke the Enigma code, using the first true electronic computers, and subsequently were able to read German command and intelligence. This had a massive influence on the outcome of the war.

In order to break the code, we had to capture Enigma machines. Several were recovered from U-boats. The event U-571 is based on was actually carried out by the Royal Navy.

So, basically, you have Hollywood rewriting history with Americans as the heroes instead of Brits.

"Get over it!" I hear you declaim, and rightly so. But this particular example was especially galling to lots of people in the UK.

Apparently it's an OK action film though. However, the point would be around how Hollywood has to rehash all stories as easily digestible fodder for the multiplex cattle.

Last edited by The Gaffer : 01-23-2007 at 06:03 AM.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:02 PM   #48
hectorberlioz

Sorry about that guys, you're right: German. I've been so indoctrinated with this relativity stuff in college I can't think straight...

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 01-23-2007, 11:50 PM   #49
jellyfishannah
Elven Warrior

If we have no culture than how is it criticized so often by everyone?

Ahem. "Culture: The system of shared beliefs, values, customs, behaviours, and artifacts that the members of society use to cope with their world and with one another, and that are transmitted from generation to generation through learning."

If we go by that particular definition of culture, we can easily see why it may be difficult to say that America has a definite culture. Mainly because it is composed of so many diverse beliefs, values, customs, etc.

When people think of a rich culture, they are like to either think of some people who have not been touched by "progress" or they think of Europeans guzzling wine and discussing America's sad state of culturelessness. The latter thought probably more likely refers to the arts and refinement or something. BEING cultured not having culture.

The first makes sense, since in a society untouched by modernity and industrilization will more likely share all the same beliefs, values, customs. This kind of culture you certainly do find in America but you cannot say that all of America shares it. But if someone is going to claim that, say, France has a culture than there is an argument for America, as well. The only thing they have over us is that they have more history being a "civilised", Christian country. Their history is more well known, their architecture is more well-known...

As the world stands now, it seems that real culture is something to be admired but not desired. You can't really have a culture if you are a connosiuer of culture. You can admire a society, live in it, whatever but you do not share the culture if you believe the people are mistaken in their beliefs.

Culture is a very romantacized idea and therefore, rubbish.

"Don't tell lies you can't keep." ~My little sister...

Last edited by jellyfishannah : 01-23-2007 at 11:52 PM.
jellyfishannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:20 AM   #50
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyfishannah
When people think of a rich culture, they are like to either think of some people who have not been touched by "progress" or they think of Europeans guzzling wine and discussing America's sad state of culturelessness.
I found this completely hilarious.

I don't think the idea of culture is rubbish, but I do think that criticizing another because it's different or has some aspects you don't like is rubbish.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:11 PM   #51
jellyfishannah
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I found this completely hilarious.

I don't think the idea of culture is rubbish, but I do think that criticizing another because it's different or has some aspects you don't like is rubbish.
I know what you mean but I mean, mainly, the romanticized version of it that often applies only to Europe because of its history, art, and heck, its chocolate.

"Don't tell lies you can't keep." ~My little sister...
jellyfishannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:39 PM   #52
hectorberlioz

Anymore fire for this thread?

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 02-06-2007, 09:52 PM   #53
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Quote:
Anymore fire for this thread?
I'd think that, that film thread would give you enough fire without trying to keep this one alive.

But now that you mention it we have sports like rodeo that are uniquely american, us and Canada were the only two countrys to compete in rodeo when the Olympics were held in Salt Lake City.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:28 PM   #54
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirrim TR
But now that you mention it we have sports like rodeo that are uniquely american, us and Canada were the only two countrys to compete in rodeo when the Olympics were held in Salt Lake City.
That's kinda sad actually. Just like "korfbal", the fight for the titel is almost always between Belgium and the Netherlands and when it comes to ice-skating, there is usually at least 1 German or Dutch person on the stage...
But I must agree with jellyfishannah that American culture (you all convinced me that there is such a thing seems to be fragmented, like a mosaic. Probably because there are Italian-Americans, Jewish-Americans, Chinese-Americans, and so on and so forth.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...

Last edited by Mari : 02-06-2007 at 11:29 PM. Reason: spellingmistake :$
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:29 AM   #55
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

I think y'all are looking at this wrong.

You can talk about culture and then feel inadequate because the word you're using means "Something rich people used to show poor people who was in charge." So you have giant palaces full of art that the Medicis hired to show off and hopefully get into heaven.

The US is still kinda short on that stuff, thank goodness.

But "American culture" is a living organism. That's the one people hate. But it's a work in progress. It's being created in a collaborative way that's rare, if not unique, in the world. And it encompasses Georgia O'Keefe, sure, and Mark Twain, but it also makes movies from stories written by Russian Jews with German directors and British actors and Australian musicians, and Mexican choreographers, and thinks nothing of it.

They ain't got that in Bosnia, kwim? And no one in JAPAN, of all places, can make me feel culturally inferior. That culture was frozen in the 14th century until they had the good fortune to lose a war to us. Many as our mistakes are, they would not have loved the world they were trying to get. Neither would the current crop of folks yearning for the Stone Age. It's not as much fun, when all the pillaging is over and flush toilets are gone.

Thorstein Veblen had the right of it. America chose to be on the side of taking chances rather than hallowing tradition, because tradition is the culture of the status quo, and we weren't those guys. We were the ones who could do better by giving up almost everything, and taking a chance here. It gave us a messy pattern, from time to time. But it gave us juxtapositions that are intrinsically more vivid than static cultures.

And the butterfly stroke in swimming. Those darned Americans. They MUST tinker.
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:29 AM   #56
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain carrot
Rian:

little uniforms?

One suspects Rian may have seen one too many striptease shows!
No, just too much Monty Python!

Anyways, you guys are all wrong - culture is something that's grown in a petri dish.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:35 AM   #57
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Haha! In the USA, you grow some darn fine culture.

So how's Arizona R*an? Notice any cultural differences between it and California?
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:41 AM   #58
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt
But "American culture" is a living organism. That's the one people hate. But it's a work in progress. It's being created in a collaborative way that's rare, if not unique, in the world. And it encompasses Georgia O'Keefe, sure, and Mark Twain, but it also makes movies from stories written by Russian Jews with German directors and British actors and Australian musicians, and Mexican choreographers, and thinks nothing of it.

They ain't got that in Bosnia, kwim? And no one in JAPAN, of all places, can make me feel culturally inferior. That culture was frozen in the 14th century until they had the good fortune to lose a war to us. Many as our mistakes are, they would not have loved the world they were trying to get. Neither would the current crop of folks yearning for the Stone Age. It's not as much fun, when all the pillaging is over and flush toilets are gone.
First of all: I agree with you on your first point; culture is something the people who once lived, live now and will live, create together and it is a combination of several things.
But I never attacked the American history, nor did I specifically attack Amercan culture, so I really don't see why you should attack the Japanese history. I would also like to know which statement of mine made you feel culturally inferior, because it was never my intention to do so. Furthermore, if it is possible for someone to make you feel culturally inferior, does that not mean you are not exactly sure of your own culture yourself?
About the Japanese history: they simply imitated what the West (and that includes America) had shown them the centuries before. And who knows what would have happened if America would have allowed them to develop on their own and did not force unequal treaties on Japan (as did other Western countries) and threw atomic bombs on them later on?
Look, I don't want to get in an argumental war over history. And perhaps I should mention that I am not Japanese (which you would have known if you would have read the entire thread) but that I am living here for a year.
If you want to oppose my opinion, fine, that's your right, but please stop throwing around wild statements and knocking others to the ground just so you can stand above them.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:12 AM   #59
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Considering Hector too used the technique of belittling another culture to the advancement of his, perhaps that behaviour is also part of the American culture? ( <- please take note of the smiley)
Old 02-07-2007, 06:51 AM   #60
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
Furthermore, if it is possible for someone to make you feel culturally inferior, does that not mean you are not exactly sure of your own culture yourself?
That seems to be what this thread is really about. I don't see a bunch of smug Europeans looking down their noses at American culture here, or anywhere else for that matter. You guys are defending yourselves from an imaginary attack - why do you feel the need to prove your cultural superiority by caricaturing the rest of the world as hidebound and stale?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.

Last edited by sun-star : 02-07-2007 at 06:55 AM.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote