Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: Do you believe in ancient predictions of the end of the world in 2012?
I believe we are approaching the end of the world. 5 19.23%
I do not believe we are approaching the end of the world 16 61.54%
I am not familiar with such prophesies and have no opinion. 5 19.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2006, 12:45 AM   #41
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Should I start wearing a tin hat now?

Why is this poll important anyway? Maybe if it was 2012...
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:02 AM   #42
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

An iron hat, Nurvi. An oxidized iron hat.

Yeah, we got some years to go. Meanwhile, I'm going to live life as though I never saw this thread! (But I still plan to post here just for discussion's sake.)
Old 09-25-2006, 02:50 AM   #43
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Lief, regardless of how good we get with destructo-con technology, I highly doubt we will be able to figure out how to wipe out every single microbe, insect, or other misc. biota from the face of the planet. Earniel is right, organisms adapt, and it is the very nature of evolution to push towards those species who adapt the best to fluctuations in the ecological environment. And don't forget that old adage that cockroaches would survive a nuclear explosion - there is some truth to it.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:51 AM   #44
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

The way I see it, we're exhausting the resources of our planet and are already responsible for one of the greatest mass extinctions of species in our planet's history. This is pre-Global Warming and pre-ozone layer disintegration, and prior to whatever other world dangers the world might cook up for itself in the next four or five centuries. Meanwhile, our destructive abilities are increasing in huge leaps and bounds, and the likelihood of them being used is constantly increasing due to the inevitable proliferation of WMDs. The ecosystems in our environment and ocean are collapsing and in many places are completely destroyed, and all this incredible harm to life on the planet is happening without any of the suggested mass-scale catastrophes.

I understand what you say about microorganisms, but even they are dependent on the environment to survive. The environment could be rendered uninhabitable.

Anyway . . .

But anyway, it's all a matter of opinion and now that I've had the last word, I'm willing to suggest that we drop a useless argument. I understand your point of view, and I certainly can't disprove it anymore than you can mine.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 09-25-2006 at 03:56 AM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:50 AM   #45
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

As most have wandered from the titles purpose, I'll mention once again.....I was hoping for input on: Prophecy for the end of the world in 2012 . The first word should have given direction. Aztec, Mayan, Sioux, Cacye, etc. etc.

....oh well only another week to go.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:57 AM   #46
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Why is this poll important anyway? Maybe if it was 2012...
It is only "important" insofar as the fact that it is an interesting topic, to which I hoped to gain insight from the membership as to their views and beliefs.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:47 AM   #47
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
It is only "important" insofar as the fact that it is an interesting topic, to which I hoped to gain insight from the membership as to their views and beliefs.
Just say it - you put a sticky on this thread simply because you're a mod and its your thread

You folks who believe the world will end in 2012, how will you let that belief affect you and your lives? Like, will you try to live life to the fullest or just don't stress out about buying Christmas presents until after December 21, 2012? Or won't it affect you at all?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:56 AM   #48
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
Humanity is selfish and aggressive, not improving, no matter what Brownjenkins says .
Selfish being the key. Our selfish desire to survive will always overcome our aggressive nature. And, if not, other life on earth will survive us.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:30 AM   #49
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Just say it - you put a sticky on this thread simply because you're a mod and its your thread
Gee, I didn't think all this hostility would be generated by a genuine interest in members opinions and views.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:04 PM   #50
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Gee, I didn't think all this hostility would be generated by a genuine interest in members opinions and views.
Excuse me, hostility?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:12 PM   #51
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

....it's all in perception.....perhaps "sarcasm" or another word would have been better.....I'd apologize but the Pope is ahead of me
Old 09-25-2006, 12:24 PM   #52
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I voted No, because only God knows...and if we had really figured it out that easy, it just wouldn't be a surprise when Christ comes on down here...
We're not that smart...

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:28 PM   #53
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
I voted No, because only God knows...and if we had really figured it out that easy, it just wouldn't be a surprise when Christ comes on down here...
We're not that smart...
good answer but check my post #1 and you'll see that it misses the mark......(off topic BTW, I tend to agree )
Old 09-25-2006, 12:34 PM   #54
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

no because, well, would you want to think about the end of the world only in six years?
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:39 PM   #55
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Actually I've known about the prophesies for quite some time, so, for me it isn't a "suddenly in six years" thing.

Think nuclear N. Korea, Iran = possible confrontation, leading to battle in the valley of Armeggdon or there abouts.
The geopolitical climate has all the elements in play right now for the germination of the fulfillment in six years.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:56 PM   #56
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telcontarion
I just want to say I love you guys.
Here here! *hugs Tel*

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 02:36 PM   #57
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I would just like to squeal with excitement at seeing a poll on Entmoot.

*squeal*

Thank you very much.

Also, I posit no theory as to when the world will end or not end. I think it is silly to say that it will end soon (except in the Aslan sense of 'soon'), just as it is silly to say that it will not end soon. Quite simply, we don't know.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:14 PM   #58
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
....it's all in perception....
Isn't everything!
Old 09-25-2006, 04:18 PM   #59
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I believe we are approaching the end of the world (at least we're not approaching the beginning), but I don't believe in the "ancient predictions of the end of the world in 2012".. So what should I answer in the poll? o.O

The end of the world should've come so many times during my lifetime.. So I don't really care. For me, it's okay if it comes in the year 2012. Or sooner. Or later. May it come whenever it will.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:22 PM   #60
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

Quote:
Actually I've known about the prophesies for quite some time, so, for me it isn't a "suddenly in six years" thing.
i didn't say that it was a "sudden" thing, all i said was that who would want to think about the end of the world as they know it.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote