Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-22-2006, 12:37 PM   #41
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

no, i mean like, complete shut-down for safety reasons, like they considered in the CoS.
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:14 PM   #42
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

for one day!
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:44 PM   #43
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi567
How does Mrs Dursley know that they have a son around Dudley’s age if they haven’t met or spoken in several years?
Lily might have written to her sister to let her know about Harry's birth. This also raises the interesting question of whether Petunia is still in touch with her parents, or whether they're dead, since they could also be a source of information about Lily's life.

Quote:
Why do you think she was reading a map and reading the street sign when she's going to sit there for the whole day and half the night?
Some people (among whom I count myself ) will read absolutely anything that happens to be front of them, rather than have nothing to read. I suspect Professor McG is like that

Quote:
Mr Dursley and his wife then talk about her sister, and how old Harry is, and what a horrible name it is.

We know that the Dursley’s don’t like anything unusual, so why pick a name like Dudley? After all, that name is a bit strange. From a surname which was originally from a place name meaning "Dudda's clearing" in Old English.
I think this is a sign that the Dursleys don't really understand the social rules they're trying to live up to. Maybe Petunia once read something about Dudley as an aristocratic surname and thought it sounded sophisticated? We can tell the Dursleys are ignorant and/or prejudiced when it comes to names, since they think Harry is a "nasty, common name" when it's actually quite upper-class.

Quote:
It is only now why he tells her why he came there, to leave him (Harry) with his aunt and uncle (Mr and Mrs Dursley). In response, she tells him how bad they are, so he says that it’s best for Harry to remain there. We are then told that Hagrid is bringing him, and Dumbledore says “I would trust Hagrid with my life”.

Why the massive trust in him? As far as I can remember, we haven’t been given a reason yet.
My guess is that Dumbledore, like Harry later on, trusts Hagrid because his heart is in the right place. He's very loyal and cares deeply for his friends. However, as we've seen, this doesn't always mean he makes great decisions.

I just looked at that part of the chapter and McG in fact says "his heart's in the right place", so I'll stick with that theory Also, how difficult could it be to carry a baby from Godric's Hollow to Surrey? As long as he didn't drop Harry, Hagrid could hardly go wrong...
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:59 PM   #44
jammi567

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
Lily might have written to her sister to let her know about Harry's birth. This also raises the interesting question of whether Petunia is still in touch with her parents, or whether they're dead, since they could also be a source of information about Lily's life.
I think that they're dead, because otherwise, the Dursley's wouldn't be Harry's remaining reletives.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:16 PM   #45
sun-star
Lady of Letters

That's true. I suppose they might have died in the period between Harry's birth and the Potters' deaths - it would be interesting to know if Lily's parents died naturally or not.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:20 PM   #46
jammi567

i don't think we'll ever know now (unless Patunia reveals everything to harry at the beginning of the 7th book).

Old 06-22-2006, 10:47 PM   #47
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi567
for one day!
i doubt it. it could've been closed for some time. also, the order of the pheonix probably wasn't secret then, so it was most likely known that DD and most of the teachers were needed.
----------------
Old 06-23-2006, 05:39 AM   #48
jammi567

poor kids who couldn't complete their education then.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:02 PM   #49
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

they probably finished up over what would've been the break or something. DD would've found a solution, i'm sure.
----------------
Old 06-24-2006, 06:24 AM   #50
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Quote:
Why do you think she was reading a map and reading the street sign when she's going to sit there for the whole day and half the night?

plus ...you gotta remember it's a whole different muggle world sans magic!!!

She may well find it as fascinating as Mr weasly does!

To her it may be as absorbing as a griddler or nanogram or crossword puzzle or somesuch!

I always took that to be a subtle touch to help develop the dual but convergant worlds they live in simultaneously.

best, BB
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:31 AM   #51
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Quote:
Mr Dursley and his wife then talk about her sister, and how old Harry is, and what a horrible name it is.

We know that the Dursley’s don’t like anything unusual, so why pick a name like Dudley? After all, that name is a bit strange. From a surname which was originally from a place name meaning "Dudda's clearing" in Old English.

yes, to a degree i agree with Sun Star ... (...don't mention the W word...)

but mainly it is for setting the scene in a matter of a few words and also for comic effect ...we have the overly large brusque overbearing eejit, the thin, neurotic and pompusly named petunia ...and the pig like, spoilt, only child of stooopid pompous, faux middle class ...

a few well placed words and we are reading in meanings and shape and form already.

I call that good writing.

Go see Big C's 'hook' thread!

Same principle.

Of course the main point is to show up their 'normality' and their insistent desire to cling to it and their desire let it shut them up in a suburban sized narrow box .... as against the parallel of harry and the world of Wizards ... and the hypocrosy of their wanting to "normalize" harry ..

best, BB
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:27 PM   #52
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

come on, chaps, only a few days left. can anyone think of anything interesting to say? i can't...
----------------
Old 06-29-2006, 06:33 PM   #53
jammi567

What was Mrs Dursley doing that day?
Maybe she was replying to letters dd sent her, and shouting 'won't' all the time, hense how dudly learnt a new word, plus why she was so uptight that night.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:04 PM   #54
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

run by klat the great! ruler of all katts! i shall dispatch a PM promptly!
----------------
Old 07-07-2006, 06:22 PM   #55
jammi567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
She may well find it as fascinating as Mr weasly does!
To her it may be as absorbing as a griddler or nanogram or crossword puzzle or somesuch!
best, BB
Interesting. but i would think that afer an hour or so, that would get extreamly boring.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:54 AM   #56
jammi567

The significance of the statement that dd has powerful powers, but is too nobal to use them may mean that he has studied the dark arts, to understand the effects and get an idea of what voldy and the death eaters would use, but won't actually use them because he's fighting for the side of good.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:45 AM   #57
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi
Interesting. but i would think that afer an hour or so, that would get extreamly boring.
Yes, well, was she reading for an hour or so? Dursley only saw her looking at them. Personally, I thought she was checking the map and road-sign to make sure she was in the right place, Hagrid's instructions might have been vague. And she spent the rest of the day spying on the Dursleys, and waiting for DD. Very dull...

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Serenoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:57 AM   #58
jammi567

But how can we be sure that Hagrid knew specifically knew where he was going?

Old 07-26-2006, 05:54 AM   #59
jammi567

And why would McGonagall be sitting on a brick wall in the first place?

Old 03-23-2008, 01:12 PM   #60
x0xfaizax0x
Sapling

Because its not unsual]
x0xfaizax0x is offline   Reply With Quote