Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-06-2007, 06:53 PM   #41
Nautipus
Kraken King

I havnt got a clue about any of those colleges, but I am wondering, what are you majoring in?

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Nautipus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:18 PM   #42
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I don't know yet. My strength would probably be literature. I'm also interested in science, probably chemistry. I just don't know. That's one of the advantages of St. John's, no majors!

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:32 PM   #43
Nautipus
Kraken King

Really? No majors? That's....different, at least to me. I've gotta tell you, chemistry is one of my major weakspots, but anyway, goodluck to you in college, and if you do go into literature, I hope you can get published!

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 10-07-2007, 01:23 AM   #44
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

How about St. Mary's of Maryland?

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 03:09 AM   #45
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Or and also there's St. John's College in Annapolis, not St. John's University in New York but the small St John's college in Annapolis Maryland, that's where my little sister earned her degree. That's an awesome college. St. John's College. That place is definitely the bomb. My sister worked hard to get to go there, and she coul've had her pick of any college pretty much, and she got an amazing education from St John's.

Ooo - yeah, like you said - they don't require majors at St. John's, they give everyone an intensive classical and liberal arts degree and there's no Major choosing or whatever. If I could go back in time and I were eighteen or twenty-one now with what I know now about St John's, and IF I could afford it, too, then hell yes I'd attend St John's for my Bachelor's. Excellent education to be had there.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 10-07-2007 at 03:11 AM.
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:09 AM   #46
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Thanks you guys! suscuz, I hadn't heard of St. Mary's. I looked it up, and I think it looks really nice! I'll be looking at it, thanks. Lotesse, I think St. John's looks really neat. I'm glad your sister liked it. I'm definitely applying, so thanks.

Thanks so much to Last Child of Ungoliant, Twista, and BeardofPants for my avatar!
Old 10-07-2007, 08:03 PM   #47
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Tolkienfan: All three are liberal arts schools. St. Olaf's is supposed to have an excellent music program. St. John's is known for all-around excellence, and is one of the oldest institutes for higher learning in the US. I don't know much about Wheaton, except that it is an Evangelical College; St. John's is non-religious, and St. Olaf's is Lutheran, specifically ELCA, if any of that matters to you.

So, if you want all-around excellence, I suggest St. John's, but if you're sure you want to do music, St. Olaf's would probably be the one for you.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:04 PM   #48
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
So, if you want all-around excellence, I suggest St. John's, but if you're sure you want to do music, St. Olaf's would probably be the one for you.
No one from Maryland should go to St. Olaf's, without a week visit midwinter.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
Old 10-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #49
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt
No one from Maryland should go to St. Olaf's, without a week visit midwinter.
I agree. I spend most of my winters in Iowa, so I think I can handle the cold. I'm not from Maryland. I've never lived in one place for more than 3 years, so I'm not sure where I'm from. My extended family is in Iowa, and I spend a lot of time there. I've lived in California a lot, and I love it there.
Thanks Gwaimir! I think St. John's is my top choice. As long as I can get in... Their "heart" of the application is the essays (3), which are not my strong point. I'm working on them though! Maybe I'll post them when I get a little further.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #50
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkienfan
I Maybe I'll post them when I get a little further.
Oh, don't. Run while you can!

Even though each and every one of us has a heart of gold and the writing skills of Proust, you should never submit to being edited by a committee of strangers, especially when it comes to something personal.

Really.

Ask someone you like and trust, and look at the essays that are posted online...several colleges have samples of successful essays for them.

But, even with the best of intentions, we're bound to have 40'leven different opinions, and just make you extra crazy.

My opinion, for what it's worth.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 10-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #51
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Oh, absolutely, listen to SisCous, I totally agree. Your college-entrance essay is a very important big deal, and it's none of our business, for us here(meaning for-all-intents-&purposes, us "strangers") on the internet to be critiquing or reading your very, very important essays. No way let us see them while you're working on them!! That's something to do with trusted friends or mentors or a teacher, someone like that, in your real life, just like Sis said.

And Tolkienfan, your wanderling life sounds like mine! I did the same thing, grew up everywhere and could never say I was "from" anywhere. I STILL never know what to say, I just tell people I'm from England because I was born there and then raised everywhere, and now I'm from L.A.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:49 PM   #52
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

2 years later - I never replied in this topic where I ended up going to college - although I probably did mention it in another topic. Or maybe I didn't. :P

I got in to all 7 school that I applied to and I decided to go to Elon University in Elon, North Carolina. Pretty good school. I'd reccomend it.

Sophomore now - Broadcast Communications Major with a minor in political science. Heavily involved in communications stuff.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:17 PM   #53
Nautipus
Kraken King

I'm in ETSU (East Tennessee State University) right now, but next year I'm moving to the North Carolina coast to go to UNCW (University of North Carolina at Wilmington) and after that I'm going to Hawaii for graduate school.

"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

Old 10-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #54
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Right now

I would not be forking over tuition to Rider college.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/loc...ws_nation_util

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

Old 10-20-2007, 07:46 AM   #55
Mari
Elf Lady

Right now I'm looking for a place to do my masters, or post-graduate. I don't really care where I go, as long as it's affordable. I have seen a few universities and colleges that really appeal to me, but it's just so expensive.
I stopped looking for a place in the Netherlands, because if you study abroad, the chances of getting a scholarship are better.
Anyway, I'm looking into Birmingham College (UK) and SWIF (Swiss) right now.
I want to study hotel management.
There is something new and exciting about looking for a new place to study, don't you think?

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:05 PM   #56
Gwaimir Windgem

Yeah, I need to figure out where to go after my bachelor's. First, though, I'll hafta figure out what I want to do; I'm torn between studying language and studying theology.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 10-20-2007, 05:15 PM   #57
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Gwai - you can't do both?
Old 10-21-2007, 12:55 PM   #58
Mari
Elf Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
I don't know about America, but here (officially) you can choose a major and a minor. Mix and match your own courses so to speak.
In reality though it's not very flexible especially since we have to be present at least 70% of all courses in order to pass and major and minor courses have the tendency to overlap.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #59
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yes, we can do majors and minors as well, but we can also do something called a conjoint degree, which is basically 2 degrees over 4 years (1 degree takes 3 years).
Old 10-22-2007, 12:16 AM   #60
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
For theology, I would probably be doing graduate work, working for a Masters', since the courses we take at my college give an effectual double major in theology and philosophy with a minor in math. I don't think you can do a Master's with a major and minor in two wildly different fields. Anyway, unless I started rigorously studying right now (which ain't gonna happen), I won't have the ability to do high-level studies in any language. I have a rough grasp of Russian, Portuguese, and Latin, but I am far from fluent in any of them. My levels of proficiency with theology and language are, in short, too disparate, I think, to do them at the same time. Though whichever I do first, I do think I want to go back and do the other afterwards, which makes me learn more towards theo., since it's easier to learn a language on your own, than to do in-depth studies on your own.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle