Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-18-2005, 04:06 PM   #41
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

JD does so have a sense of humour. I know you have one too IRex... I have a feeling yours and JDs just don't align very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
EDIT: PS - I think I'm done here. This thread is a bit boring and repetitious itself. It's kinda like a goofy Seinfeld episode gone bad (all this talking about what we can and cannot talk about!).
An ironic twist of irony.

I have nothing more useful to add so I may depart as well.

(I predict a padlock on this thread pretty soon. )
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:08 PM   #42
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
As I said: how many ways can you say the same thing. How can you take it to 200 pages of religious discussion for one topic when there are many other aspects of that topic to discuss also. You can't keep bouncing around, on and off topic and repeating the same thing over and over and expect the thread to stay on track. There is only so many things that can be said about the religious aspects of homosexuality, and it doesn't take 200 pages to say it.
Says who?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:10 PM   #43
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
Says who?
The fact that we have 200 pages of repetitive religious discussion says it.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:13 PM   #44
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Uuggh.

It's like a certain forum I post at.

Three threads. One on the differences between the various variable valve timing variants, another on the upcoming forum gettogether, and yet another on a photographic assignment for the weekend.

The innocent, naive poster joins the discussion, immaturely and unjustifiably thinking that all three threads were distinct subjects, yet each thread degenerates to the lampooning of Charl and the rampant hatred towards him spewed forth in post after post of irrelevant e-derision.

FFS R47|-|3r cr3473 4 s1ng13 7|-|r34d f0r 4ny p0s7s re1473d 70 C|-|4r1.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:15 PM   #45
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

So what's the point of this thread now? It has gotten it's message accross already.

This topic could just go on and on.

I happen to agree with SGH and JD on this, but see nothing that can be done about it.
As IR has said, if something religous has to do with the topic, then you can't stop it from being discussed in the topic.

A lot of these topics are getting way repetitive and boring, with the same thing being argued for hundreds of pages....

We just need new, interesting topics that won't center around the same old same old.

I'd say the whole discuss religion/creationism/evolution/homosexuality/etc has completely expired FTM and is completely stale.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:26 PM   #46
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

well i think the "on topic only" theory of threads has more to do with that. When this isnt enforced threads tend to just die off instead of having to be resurected EVERY time something having anything to do with the topic (homosexuality) comes along. So people will start a thread about something happening to gays in the news or something and it will be discussed. then it dies. then later someone will start a thread about their specific experiences with being homosexual and it will be discussed. then it dies. that way people dont feel like they have to hunt up the one single thread that has to do with the topic (sometimes even the topic can be splitting hairs. does it diserve a seperate thread?). So what happens when you have the kind of policy we have here is that its much more likely that the topic will be dominated by certain points of view and other things will get drowned out. and then because new similar threads cant be made you get threads like this where people complain that people are dominating certain threads in ways they dont agree with themselves. very predictable really.

Old 02-18-2005, 04:27 PM   #47
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Get a sense of humor Jersey. You seem to be lacking one as usual. And remember I have no animosity toward you whatsoever. Never confuse disagreement with animosity. Its a fatal error. But clearly you cant see through your blind hatred when it comes to replying to me Im lead to assume from this post (and many others).
See I'm not the one that makes indirect statements to someone like you do though. I say exactly how I feel. instead you come out with this crap...

Quote:
Valandil dont you know its their god given right to get annoyed when god is brought up in a discussion that wasnt about religion to begin with! I mean next thing you know we'll be talking about god in THIS thread...
As usual - you're sacrastic tone. As for blind hatred of you - that is hilarious. I just don't really care for your snide side comments you have a habit of doing. Even this wording in this post demonstrates your contempt for me - so let's not go around acting like you are the injured, innocent party here - okay?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:30 PM   #48
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
As usual - you're sacrastic tone. As for blind hatred of you - that is hilarious. I just don't really care for your snide side comments you have a habit of doing. Even this wording in this post demonstrates your contempt for me - so let's not go around acting like you are the injured, innocent party here - okay?
what was that about off topic SGH?

Im hardly injured. Although I am curious as to how the wording shows "contempt" for you exactly.

Old 02-18-2005, 04:33 PM   #49
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
let me ask you - have you NOTICED me posting there?
No, I have not seen you posting there - have you noticed me posting in the political threads? I find them boring, so I don't post in them. But I don't complain about them, either, even tho I find them terribly repetitive and "same old stuff" by same old people.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 04:34 PM   #50
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
what was that about off topic SGH?

Im hardly injured. Although I am curious as to how the wording shows "contempt" for you exactly.
Yeah, let's stay on topic and not start a flame fest here.

IR, I'm not saying not to discuss the religious aspects of a topic. I'm saying there is only so much that can be said though and you have to draw the line somewhere to keep the starting post on track. When religion begins to dominate the discussion, the original topic is now on the back burner and is over shadowed because it has been changed into a moral/religious debate.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-18-2005, 04:38 PM   #51
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Fair enough. But my point is that its REALLY REALLY tricky to draw that line...

Old 02-18-2005, 04:39 PM   #52
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
No, I have not seen you posting there - have you noticed me posting in the political threads? I find them boring, so I don't post in them. But I don't complain about them, either, even tho I find them terribly repetitive and "same old stuff" by same old people.
Well - more people can post in them - then it wouldn't be the same old people. Politics change - what the bible said doesn't. But then again - you said that people complaing should just stay out of the thread - hence my question to you as to whether you have seen me in there lately or not. Also - it's not that I'm not interested in the subjects of evolution or gay and lesbian relations - it's just that the only thing discussed is in those threads are how it relates to religion. Sorry - but initially neither of those threads started out that way and now that is the ONLY way they are.

SGH - I was responding to IR's attitude. He keeps it in check - then I wouldn't have to respond to it.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-18-2005, 04:40 PM   #53
QueenAnnesLace
Elven Warrior

I think everyone knows where certain people stand on thier religious beliefs. I suggest that after considerable discussion in topics that didn't start with religion, it should be either taken into the religious thread or the person being vocal of thier religion and or beliefs should take the conversation into PM. That way everyone can talk about things openly and at the same time the ones that want to preach to others on their beliefs can do it more one on one. I think that is part of the reason the that it may have become so repetitive.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:41 PM   #54
jerseydevil

Quote:
Fair enough. But my point is that its REALLY REALLY tricky to draw that line...
No one said it wasn't tricky to draw the line. All people are saying is that this is what those threads have become.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-18-2005, 04:44 PM   #55
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
219 pages later - nothing has changed and it's the same old argument.
*checks the thread*

That's not true, JD - something HAS changed.

It's the people.

Most of the people on page 1 are not at the Moot now.

And as I said before, I don't mind re-discussing a topic with new people (altho obviously some people do) because to me, people are more important and interesting than topics.

I got pretty irritated a while back when people would start a new topic and it would get cold water thrown on it with a curt and clique-ish "We discussed that last year". That may be true that the TOPIC was discussed, but the "we" part isn't true, because obviously the new person wasn't in on that discussion! If a new person brings up an old thread and wants to discuss it, then I don't have a problem with that, and if the topic is interesting to me, then I'll join in I'm sure the newer people appreciate that someone is willing to re-discuss a subject that they missed, and for those who find it boring to re-discuss, well, there's no compulsion for them to post

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Last edited by Rían : 02-18-2005 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:47 PM   #56
Rían

Quote:
Also - it's not that I'm not interested in the subjects of evolution or gay and lesbian relations - it's just that the only thing discussed is in those threads are how it relates to religion.
Please remember that it's the creationism thread that got resurrected (and NOT by me!), not the evolution thread. I think it would be hard to argue that God isn't involved in creationism

Last edited by Rían : 02-18-2005 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:52 PM   #57
Rían

Quote:
Maybe there should be TWO gay/lesbian and evolution threads - one where you can talk about the religious aspects and one where you can talk about personal experience.
That would be fine

And I've been considering asking IRex to start a thread and present a multi-post opinion on "evidence for evolution". I think that would be interesting! What do you say, IRex?

Old 02-18-2005, 04:53 PM   #58
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

You know, this is exactly why I close threads at 100 pages in the Middle-earth forum. What newbie is going to come and read a thread that is 200 plus pages. They read the opening post and then post. That in itself causes problems I think and makes for repetitive posting.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 02-18-2005, 05:02 PM   #59
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
The issue is that it is the same religious argument in multiple threads where originally there was no religious tone to the thread to begin with.
Could we stop and do a reality check here and find out how many threads the objectors object to? I'm hearing all sorts of exaggerations, IMO, such as every second thread - let's check with reality and see how many threads we're talking about. The only ones I've heard so far are gay/les, evolution (which was incorrect - it's currently creationism), and religion/individualism, which is obviously about religion.

And again, I sincerely don't see how beliefs of ANY kind can be kept out of moral issues like gay/les IIRC, TC started the thread with a very simple "what do you guys think?" or something like that. If someone wants to start a thread with "please share your gay/les experiences but let's not discuss the belief systems behind them", that's fine, and people should honor the thread-starter's request.

Maybe most of the people are mad at me, personally - I don't know. I know I certainly post a lot and have long posts. However, I must point out that people ASK me to explain things, and to do them justice I have to make it a long explanation. I've been asked quite a few times to explain how I view things, and the more observant among you (hi, Nurv!) have noticed that I've actually tagged some of my posts with "refpost" so I can find them and refer to them, instead of re-typing! If people ask me a question, I like to answer them - I'm glad to see new people come in, and I'll answer a question I've already answered out of respect for them and out of enjoyment of meeting a new person

Old 02-18-2005, 05:04 PM   #60
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
I would contend that such threads as GLB, etc, get into repetition because we end up with a lot of different people saying the same things others have said - instead of just contentedly reading the 200+ pages. Can you blame them?
No! That's why I don't mind an old topic coming up again, even if it's repetitive, because it's new to the new person, and I sure like when people talk to ME when I'm new somewhere ...