Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-08-2005, 07:03 PM   #41
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
i doubt that Glorfindel was an Istari, he just doesn't strike me as "wizardly"
Old 01-08-2005, 07:31 PM   #42
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

As often as JRRT changed his mind about Glorfindel, I am not sure I would totally exclude that he might have been somewhat associated with the Istari. Certainly, he was one of the Wise.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:40 AM   #43
Lenya
Elentári

I don't think he was Istari because then I believe Tolkien would have mentioned it somewhere. But I must admit, he would fit the profile.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 12:27 PM   #44
inked
Elf Lord

I think Glorfindel signifies the closest approach to the proper intended function of the Elves as they remained true to the Valar. He has been associated with Elrond for millenia, apparently, and is a picture of the more extant spiritual life and obedience in an individual. He is a very capable creature of both ME and the heavenlies and very much an image of what all elves and men, too, might have been but for the great marring of ME!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 08:20 AM   #45
Lenya
Elentári

That was said very good. I agree, I think it is possible for all people to be like him. But unfortunately there's always more tempting paths to take.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:42 AM   #46
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianLegolas
In one of the books, Tolkien states that along with Gandalf(the Grey), Saruman(the White) and Radagast(the Brown)
came 2 un-named wizards, and all that we know about them is that they were robed in blue, so the obvious question is, what was the purpose of the 2 Blue wizards, because they are never mentioned in the core LoTR books, and is never mentioned by either Gandalf, Saruman or Radagast. So i would like to hear your ideas...
the purposes of all 5 istari was the succour of men and elves in their struggles against sauron, without seeking to dominate by force or power, and so i would say that is the only answer suitable for this question.
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:36 PM   #47
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Yeah, that is the definite answer to it, Chrys.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:35 PM   #48
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

well, that is the answer, but what did they do to better the lives of Men, Hobbits,Elves,Dwarves and all the other races of Middle-Earth? What did they do to thwart Sauron in his attempt for world-domination?
Old 01-29-2005, 08:37 AM   #49
Lenya
Elentári

Well Saruman didn't do much at the end cause he went over to the dark side. Gandalf did his bits here and there, like making Frodo take the ring to Rivendell and helping him further on his journey. He also counseled Aragorn and destroyed the Balrog. I don't know what Radagast or the other did but I'm sure they pushed here and pulled there to set things in motion.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:06 AM   #50
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Gandalf did way more then a little bit, he was, as they say (somewhere) "the architect of Saurons downfall"
Old 01-29-2005, 09:46 AM   #51
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

radagast sought to persuade birds and beasts to become friends of men elves and dwarves
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:17 AM   #52
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

well I guess it worked, the eagles sure came in handy
Old 01-29-2005, 11:56 AM   #53
Pytt

Off course the eagles came in handy. We saved that wizard on that roof, plus those two little children on that volcano. you might say we saved the whole operation
Old 01-29-2005, 04:51 PM   #54
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I don't think Radagast had anything to do with the Eagles though. The Eagles were more connected to Gandalf, as he was sent by Manwe and Varda, and the Eagles are from Manwe too. Radagast's part was very, very minor. Gandalf told him to ask from the animals to give information to him (Gandalf) and Saruman, when he met him near the Shire, and that I think was all he did.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 06:36 PM   #55
Manveru
Elven Warrior

ya he says "Let messages be sent to Orthanc!" or something. Kinda counter-productive as it turned out
Where the shores are sheer and dim
He launched his bark like a silver spark
From the last and lonely sand;
Then on sunlit breath of day's fiery death
He sailed from Westerland
Manveru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:27 AM   #56
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

I think that that's all we are told of what he does, because it's what directly relates to LOTR. However, I don't think Radagast spent all his time frolicking with the animals. Unfortunately, Tolkien doesn't mention much about him, because he's just not a major figure in the known history of ME. But, unlike the blue wizards, we do know enough about him to form an idea of his personality.
In a way, the three Istari of Sarumon, Gandalf, and Radagast make a nice, balanced trio. Sarumon worries a lot about politics and power, Gandalf deals with the problems of the peoples of ME, and Radagast cares for the often voiceless flora and fauna. Too bad that the other two don't have a larger role in the story, it would have been interesting, but maybe ultimately too distracting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
The Eagles were more connected to Gandalf, as he was sent by Manwe and Varda, and the Eagles are from Manwe too.
Yavanna also had a part in the song of the Eagles. There's a part in the Silm where she and Manwe speak of them, and she is saddened to hear that they wont be living in the forests of her creation, but instead they will dwell upon the mountains of Aule.

My DA page

Last edited by Embladyne : 01-31-2005 at 01:30 AM.
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:19 PM   #57
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embladyne
I think that that's all we are told of what he does, because it's what directly relates to LOTR. However, I don't think Radagast spent all his time frolicking with the animals. Unfortunately, Tolkien doesn't mention much about him, because he's just not a major figure in the known history of ME. But, unlike the blue wizards, we do know enough about him to form an idea of his personality.
In a way, the three Istari of Sarumon, Gandalf, and Radagast make a nice, balanced trio. Sarumon worries a lot about politics and power, Gandalf deals with the problems of the peoples of ME, and Radagast cares for the often voiceless flora and fauna. Too bad that the other two don't have a larger role in the story, it would have been interesting, but maybe ultimately too distracting.
Radagast did spend all his time with the animals, it seems.. especially in the UT. I can't quote it, I don't have the UT in English - but in the part of the Istari is specifically says Radagast left the mission and spend his days among the animals and birds.
Quote:
Yavanna also had a part in the song of the Eagles. There's a part in the Silm where she and Manwe speak of them, and she is saddened to hear that they wont be living in the forests of her creation, but instead they will dwell upon the mountains of Aule.
The Eagles were of Manwe's, I'm pretty sure... They're mentioned all over the book as the Eagles of Manwe.
This part doesn't mean Yavanna had anything to do wit hthe Eagles.. she just wanted them to live in the nests of her trees to protect the trees.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:36 PM   #58
Pytt

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Eagles were of Manwe. It is mentioned in the Sil, i remember.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:49 PM   #59
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

Here ya go:
Manwe to Yavanna
Quote:
But dost thou not now remember, Kementari, that thy thought sang not always alone? Did not thy thought and mine meet also, so that we took wing together like great birds that soar above the clouds? That also shall come to be by the heed of Illuvatar, and before the Children awake there shall go forth with wings like the wind the Eagles of the Lords of the West.
Although the Eagles may be called the Eagles of Manwe by some, Yavanna had a part in their making, as well.

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:06 PM   #60
Pytt

Ok. I didn't remember that. I think the reason I see them as Manwes, is beacuse he is the Headseat of the Valar, and they are mentioned with him later on in the book.