Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-13-2004, 08:50 PM   #41
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

I would add Beren to that list. Not Christ-like, but definitely Imitatio Christi.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:59 AM   #42
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus
I would add Beren to that list. Not Christ-like, but definitely Imitatio Christi.
Perhaps Hurin also.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 02:18 AM   #43
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
It amounts to their behavior, sacrifices and deeds they commited for the good of others and Beleriand.
But, SGH, though their deeds may have some Christ-like qualities (and I'd like to know which deeds you're referring to), they didn't have a quality specific to Christ Himself. For instance: Aragorn had prophecies said about him, just like Christ. Gandalf died and was born again, just like Christ. Frodo carries on himself the burden of all ME, just like Christ. But the other people you referred to simply BEHAVE IN A GOODLY MANNER, IMO this doesn't make a comparison with Christ hold water. See what I mean?
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 04:16 AM   #44
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Is it only in ME or does Eru count!
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:58 AM   #45
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren3000
But, SGH, though their deeds may have some Christ-like qualities (and I'd like to know which deeds you're referring to), they didn't have a quality specific to Christ Himself. For instance: Aragorn had prophecies said about him, just like Christ. Gandalf died and was born again, just like Christ. Frodo carries on himself the burden of all ME, just like Christ. But the other people you referred to simply BEHAVE IN A GOODLY MANNER, IMO this doesn't make a comparison with Christ hold water. See what I mean?
I do see what you mean Beren, but we can measure this at different levels I think. We could say that some characters were more Christ-like than others. Look at Finrod for instance. Here is a character that was very nearly perfect in comparison to others of the First Age. Someone that was wise and powerful, yet kind and selfless. He sacrificed his life to save another. Is this not Christ-like?

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-14-2004, 11:11 AM   #46
Attalus

Also, Beren died and was re-born, sort of. He was sacrificial and kept his word, and he was the means by which the salvation of the Elves (i.e., their return to Aman) could eventually come about. Eärendil was the final agent, but without Beren it wouldn't have been possibe.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:51 PM   #47
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
He sacrificed his life to save another. Is this not Christ-like?
He sacrificed for ONE PERSON. The sacrifices of Frodo and Aragorn (not to mention Earendil) were made to save A LOT OF PEOPLE! (mankind, if you will).
Quote:
Also, Beren died and was re-born, sort of. He was sacrificial and kept his word, and he was the means by which the salvation of the Elves (i.e., their return to Aman) could eventually come about.
But, again, Beren sacrificed for ONE PERSON: Luthien. His being reborn is NOT Christ-like as he came back just to be with Luthien, while Gandalf (as with Christ) came back for some time to show that he's above Death and to help others.
Quote:
Eärendil was the final agent, but without Beren it wouldn't have been possibe.
As to that, the Virgin Mary was an indirect participant in the process of salvation (and you can say to some extent that salvation wouldn't have been possible without her) but she's not Christ, is she?
Old 11-15-2004, 04:57 PM   #48
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Yes, but let's not forget that their actions went beyond that. But for Finrod Beren, and Luthien's efforts, the rest of the free people would not have realized that Morgoth was not unassailable. So they were instrumental in the outcome of Morgoth's overthrow, if you look at the big picture.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-15-2004, 05:04 PM   #49
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
So they were instrumental in the outcome of Morgoth's overthrow, if you look at the big picture.
They weren't instrumental enough, IMHO. At least not as Earendil was.

PLUS, even if they were, that takes us back to the original question: why are there many Christ figures in ME?
Old 11-15-2004, 06:22 PM   #50
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren3000
They weren't instrumental enough, IMHO. At least not as Earendil was.
Yes, but had it not been for their deeds, Earendil would not have been able to do what he did.

Quote:
PLUS, even if they were, that takes us back to the original question: why are there many Christ figures in ME?
As I said before, I think that is because we see so many acceptionally good characters throughout this story and throughout the Ages.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-16-2004, 03:10 AM   #51
Telcontar_Dunedain

Quote:
Yes, but had it not been for their deeds, Earendil would not have been able to do what he did.
No Earendil would just not have gone to Valinor with the Silmaril. Bearing the Silmaril didn't grant him special access. It was the fact that he had come on behalf of Men and Elves, which he could have done without the Silmaril!
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Last edited by Telcontar_Dunedain : 11-16-2004 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:50 AM   #52
inked
Elf Lord

The reason, I think, that we see so many figures with Christ-like qualities in ME is that they are preludes to the theme of Eru in time, ultimately worked out in fully realized humanity in Christ and set among the eternal for their co-creation with God of that reality in their time ans space and situations. Given Tolkein's theory of eucatastrophe, they anticipate the Eucatastrophe, thereby participating in it priorly by Grace just as we may post-Eucatastrophe by the same mode. Remember St. Paul's remark that "God has not left Himself without witness." This included, IMHO, not only the world of nature but the world of mankind - imperfectly recognized or followed gleams of the Divine Plan falling on humanity (Elves - the arts/intellect, Hobbits - the social/individual, Dwarves - the material body/desires, and Humans - the unity in all its realizations). All IMHO, of course.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 11:02 AM   #53
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
No Beren would just not have gone to Valinor with the Silmaril. Bearing the Silmaril didn't grant him special access. It was the fact that he had come on behalf of Men and Elves, which he could have done without the Silmaril!
I think you mean Earedil, TD

Baring the Silmaril may not have granted him special access, but it certianly was helpful probably. It gave the Valar the incentive to intiate the War of Wrath, attempt to retrieve the other Silmarils, and overthrow Morgoth. Think of it as a chain of events where several contributed to a common cause by the act of their own individual good deeds

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-16-2004, 11:21 AM   #54
Attalus

Yes, and being Christ-like is the Christian ideal, not being Christ Himself. That is too much to ask for, and might even be thought blasphemous.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:35 PM   #55
Telcontar_Dunedain

Quote:
I think you mean Earedil, TD

Baring the Silmaril may not have granted him special access, but it certianly was helpful probably. It gave the Valar the incentive to intiate the War of Wrath, attempt to retrieve the other Silmarils, and overthrow Morgoth. Think of it as a chain of events where several contributed to a common cause by the act of their own individual good deeds
I agree that it was probably helpul but it was his words that persuaded the Valar to start the War of the Wrath, no the Silmaril. I think that he could have gone to Valinor and being halfelven talk for both men and elves without the Silmaril.

Old 11-16-2004, 01:14 PM   #56
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
I agree that it was probably helpul but it was his words that persuaded the Valar to start the War of the Wrath, no the Silmaril. I think that he could have gone to Valinor and being halfelven talk for both men and elves without the Silmaril.
That may well be, but that's not what happened. Also, what would the Valar have done with him after setting foot upon the Undying Lands, had he not had the Silmaril. Remeber that he was placed in the sky with the Silmaril bound to his brow as a sign of hope to the people of Middle-earth.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 11-16-2004, 04:24 PM   #57
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Yes, and being Christ-like is the Christian ideal, not being Christ Himself. That is too much to ask for, and might even be thought blasphemous.
But don't forget that we're discussing a work of literature, where such or such character could STAND FOR Christ in our "real" world. To Gandalf, Frodo or any of them, being Christ wouldn't be blasphemous, because the concept of a Messiah was not even present in ME. I'm talking from OUR perspective as related to TOLKIEN'S WORLD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Given Tolkein's theory of eucatastrophe, they anticipate the Eucatastrophe, thereby participating in it priorly by Grace just as we may post-Eucatastrophe by the same mode. Remember St. Paul's remark that "God has not left Himself without witness." This included, IMHO, not only the world of nature but the world of mankind - imperfectly recognized or followed gleams of the Divine Plan falling on humanity (Elves - the arts/intellect, Hobbits - the social/individual, Dwarves - the material body/desires, and Humans - the unity in all its realizations). All IMHO, of course.
That sounds like a well-informed post, inked. If only I could understand it . Would you mind explaining what's eucatastrophe and what's Tolkien's take on it? Please?
Old 11-16-2004, 04:40 PM   #58
inked
Elf Lord

Beren.

That sounds like a well-informed post, inked. If only I could understand it . Would you mind explaining what's eucatastrophe and what's Tolkien's take on it? Please? [/QUOTE]

Sorry, I am referencing Tolkein's ON FAIERY STORIES an address he gave and which I first read in ESSAYS PRESENTED TO CHARLES WILLIAMS a festschrift to one of the Inklings who died unexpectedly. The essay is reprinted in THE TOLKEIN READER, as I recall.

Also Tolkein discusses this throughout the LETTERS tho' not always directly.

The condensed version is that the turn of unexpected deliverance in fairy stories is a reflection or subcreation of the actual Incarnational fulfilment of that theme: the deliverance of humanity and indeed all creation by the events of the Resurrection. Tolkein coined the term eucatastrophe as the opposite of the expected tragic ending in fairy stories and the Main Event as the Eucatastrophe.

Kindly read the essay and see if I am being accurate. I am sure fellow 'mooters will correct error if I have erred!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 07:57 PM   #59
Attalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked

Kindly read the essay and see if I am being accurate. I am sure fellow 'mooters will correct error if I have erred!
I think that you have been quite accurate. Anyone who wishes to understand Tolkien's work should have that essay memorized.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:02 PM   #60
Acran Mern

Christ in Middle Earth

Personally, I think that the entire work points towards the Christian worldview of Tolkien. Sometimes it is intentional and sometimes not. This is not to say that LoTR is an allegory, its not. However, there is an unseen power that intervenes throughout the story.

In The Hobbit, Bilbo is constantly referred to as being lucky. He happens to come across the most powerful item in the world...by accident. Gandalf later says that there are other forces at work, besides that of evil, and that Bilbo was meant to find the ring.

Deagol happens upon the ring by chance.

Just as Sam charges into Cirith Ungol, the orcs are engaged in battle with each other and destroy each other without Sam having to strike a blow. (This is an event that takes place in the Old Testament on numerous occasions.)

The ultimate showing of this invisible hand is in Orodruin. When Frodo prooves in the end to be fallible (as another theme is that the capacity for evil is present in all of us), Gollum plays his part and _trips_ and falls to his death, destroying the ring. This event cannot be interpreted as "luck".

The "help unlooked for" aspect of LoTR reoccurs over and over again, just as it does in the Bible.