Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-31-2005, 06:00 PM   #41
inked
Elf Lord

Happy All Hallow's Even...ing, Ya'll !!!
And then we have All Hallow's (All Saints Day)
And then the Commemmoration of All the Faithful Departed (All Souls)
And then(Mexico & Texas) The Day of the Dead
all in all a good time of year for the Dead!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:11 PM   #42
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Why not just create a new topic? That would have been better, but oh well.

I was Arthur Dent for Halloween.

Halloween is definitely dying out.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:21 PM   #43
Mercutio

Here is our pumpkin. I carve this cat every year

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:40 PM   #44
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOBBIT
Why not just create a new topic? That would have been better, but oh well.
BECAUSE I am conscious of wasted cyber space and it only had 40 odd posts in a year.

Also because it seemed like a good idea, once Jonathan pointed that out.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:01 PM   #45
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Happy Halloween!

I didn't have much of a costume this year; I just put my Aikido gi on, and some sparring gloves and mat shoes, and carried around a wooden knife. But there was a big contest in school, and a bunch of my friends won the best group costume award: Tetris.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:26 PM   #46
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

hmm, obviously you don't have a traditional teacher or they'd not have permitted nor looked kindly on wearing the gi outside of the dojo.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:23 AM   #47
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
hmm, obviously you don't have a traditional teacher or they'd not have permitted nor looked kindly on wearing the gi outside of the dojo.

Well, it -is- his gi . I wore mine one year (the only year) I went trick-or-treating.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:34 AM   #48
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Sorry to cause more problems, but wouldn't it make more sense to remove the year from this thread altogether? Also wasn't it originally called "Happy Halowe'en 2004"? What's wrong with "Happy Halowe'en"?

Anyway, Trick-or-eat was super fun. We collected a huge amount of food for the food bank, and a lot of people gave us candy too. I had a very healthy dinner of candy and pop and pizza.

I'm really enjoying this Zorro costume. The mask is exciting (though sometimes it slips and pokes me in the eye), the cape is cool (though sometimes it gets all twisted around) and I just look dashing and Zorro-like which is fun. I was having fun fake-sword fighting with my friends and striking Zorro poses.

I went to class dressed as Zorro as well. I was the only one dressed up. After class, I went to Second Cup for a coffee and they gave me a package of costume because I had an awesome costume. How nice!

Halowe'en is one of my favourite holidays. It's full of fun and dressing up and parties and kids having a good time.

(For Catholics, it's a bit more than that. )
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 01:37 AM   #49
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Though my senseis have never said anything about this, I just get that general feeling. It seems wrong to me to wear my gi as a costume.
I'm kinda with you on this one, though I'm not very worried about what other people do with their gis. (I'm not saying you're worried either though. )
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:51 AM   #50
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I'm kinda with you on this one, (I'm not saying you're worried either though. )
Well I appreciate your feelings on this. I always had traditional teachers throughout the long years and feel very strongly about this. In my dojo and of course in Japan, wearing a gi outside is considered disrespectful.

OH, and I took *your* suggestion too; I hope HOBBIT isn't too upset and I promise to be more restrained in the future.....mostly
Old 11-01-2005, 12:19 PM   #51
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Well I appreciate your feelings on this. I always had traditional teachers throughout the long years and feel very strongly about this. In my dojo and of course in Japan, wearing a gi outside is considered disrespectful.

OH, and I took *your* suggestion too; I hope HOBBIT isn't too upset and I promise to be more restrained in the future.....mostly

Ahhhh, I understand now and I just remembered an old thread about it--you only studied the more traditional styles, didn't you Spock?

I took Tae Kwon Do because my parents made me, and then I took Kung Jung Mu Sul for a while because I needed exercise and enjoyed doing the patterns. I guess you could say that my first teacher was a traditional teacher, but my second was into the whole 'new age' spiritual thing... kept trying to convert me, which didn't work too well...

I guess in the end it all comes down to why you're taking the martial arts.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:49 PM   #52
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Ahhhh, I understand now and I just remembered an old thread about it--you only studied the more traditional styles, didn't you Spock?
Basically, yes. Nihon Jiujitsu, then Hakko Ryu Jiujitsu, both with HQ in Japan.
In these I have ranking and teaching licenses. Then I'm a senior student of Tokagure Ninjitsu and have studied Northern Shaolin, Tae Kwon Do, Tai Chi and a bit of 'put the bandages here'

Quote:
I guess in the end it all comes down to why you're taking the martial arts.
Well the 'why' gets you started but usually doesn't determine whether you have a traditional teacher or not. These days I imagine it's harder to find one that adheres to those ways except in the larger styles of Karate, Tae Kwon Do, etc. which have large organizations to formalize the teachings. Even then, while the teachings will be formalized, the style and manner of the teacher does not have to be.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:16 PM   #53
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Well, I guess that's complicated. I would say he's a very traditional teacher, but he regularly calls the Japanese "way too anal about everything." Both he and his Uchi Deshi are somewhat lenient when it comes to issues of respect. I just figure that I don't intend any disrespect, so I feel that any offense taken is taken mistakenly. (I can't think of a less repetitive way to say that.) Although I suspect that rationalization is disrespectful somehow in itself, I also think that expecting every student to wholly buy into Budo and whatnot is a bit too much to ask.

But don't get me wrong--I'm still hugely impressed by you Spock. Ever since I found out you were a student in Ninjitsu, Northern Shaolin, and so many other arts in which you're highly ranked, all your posts have some godlike quality. You command respect.

THere was also a kid in school wearing a Tiger Shullman's karate gi. That was bad.

EDIT: I meant to ask, too, is this trick-or-treat for charity a new idea. I've never heard of it before until you mentioned it the other day, Nurv, and then we had two of our own trick-or-treaters doing something similar as well. They were carrying around little boxes and asked if we could spare some change after we had given them some candy. They weren't together either, so I'm surprised it's so suddenly popular when I've never heard of it before. It's a great idea.

Last edited by Bombadillo : 11-01-2005 at 07:58 PM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 11:27 PM   #54
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombadillo

But don't get me wrong--I'm still hugely impressed by you Spock. Ever since I found out you were a student in Ninjitsu, Northern Shaolin, and so many other arts in which you're highly ranked, all your posts have some godlike quality. You command respect.

THAT or he's some huge, 7'8" Hulk-esque jock with an IQ of 44.3 .

I keed I keed. Spock is, like many people on the moot, very intelligent.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:50 AM   #55
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

firstly happy (pagan) new year's eve to everyone (although it is belated)

i celebrated my (pagan) new year's eve by watching a few films, drinking a little, as i have now stopped my former heavy drinking, and frightening small children from my village, although i did not carve the traditional turnip, i did carve a pumpkin with which i caught all evil spirits overnight, so they did not haunt the following year, so i spent the evening as i spend all (pagan new year's eves
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 12:32 PM   #56
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

This bears sharing in this topic too.

An interesting theory.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:02 PM   #57
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

Hmmm, I visit 'Peanuts', Get Fuzzy, and Dilbert comics every morning I can....that was today's daily comic, eh...

Having experienced Halloween in many states through the years....New England Halloweens are simply the most wonderful...Lots of dry leaves, old cemeteries line the old neighborhoods, sigh....it's almost romantic (Leaves to steal candy from unsuspecting niece...Awwwwww, sugar-loot)

Edit: States as in the lower 48 [glares at Spock incase of looming smarty-pantz 'state-of-mind' joke]

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!

Last edited by EarthBound : 11-02-2005 at 01:03 PM.
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 02:40 PM   #58
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Second year in a row its rained no trick or treating for me this year (Damn cold) well me and my best friend ended up watching Saw and part of Dawn of the Dead while her mom's boyfriend kept saying he could smell our brains in the Kermit voice. We did have lots of cake and candy though

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 04:37 PM   #59
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia
Second year in a row its rained no trick or treating for me this year (Damn cold) well me and my best friend ended up watching Saw and part of Dawn of the Dead while her mom's boyfriend kept saying he could smell our brains in the Kermit voice. We did have lots of cake and candy though

hmmm...your post certainly scared me

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 04:39 PM   #60
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

maybe next year we'll see E.B. in a wet Entmoot T shirt