Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-07-2004, 07:31 PM   #41
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Of course, I agree. There is a fundamental difference between the Silmarils and the Ruling Ring: the Silmarils were holy, the Ring was evil. Holy objects only cause harm if they are mishandled, like the Sils burning Morgoth's hand, paining him forever, and like the Ark of the Covenat in the movie (and in the Bible). Evil objects cause evil effects, ruining Smeagol and causing Boromir's and Deagol's death. EDIT to add, the Sils burned Maedhros' hand, also, or was it Maeglor?

Last edited by Attalus : 11-07-2004 at 07:33 PM.
Attalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 03:17 AM   #42
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

It was definitly Meadhros and it may have been Maglor as well.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 01:47 PM   #43
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Although at first I was of the opinion that the Silmarils caused greater damage, I now had a 180 degrees change of opinion. Here's why:

If you imagine what ME would've been like without the Sil's, and what it would've been like without the Ring, you'll find that w/out the Sil's much of ME's beauty would be lost (Earendil, Beren and Luthien, etc...) but without the Ring, the Elves could've stayed a while longer in ME and the power of the Three would've been preserved.
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 04:49 PM   #44
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren3000
Although at first I was of the opinion that the Silmarils caused greater damage, I now had a 180 degrees change of opinion. Here's why:

If you imagine what ME would've been like without the Sil's, and what it would've been like without the Ring, you'll find that w/out the Sil's much of ME's beauty would be lost (Earendil, Beren and Luthien, etc...) but without the Ring, the Elves could've stayed a while longer in ME and the power of the Three would've been preserved.
But... Sauron helped the Elves to make the Rings (he gave them the methods, didn't actually helped them in the Three). Without the One, and Sauron's plan with it, and Elves wouldn't have the Three either.

I'd guess that without the Silmarils the Noldor would still be in Valinor - but that Luthien would still exist. (as she had nothing to do with the Silamrils when she was born)

Think abnout it... without the Silmarils, maybe the One Ring would'nt be created.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 07:30 PM   #45
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Okay, now you're just reaching...

Last edited by Wayfarer : 11-08-2004 at 07:38 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 03:24 AM   #46
Telcontar_Dunedain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
But... Sauron helped the Elves to make the Rings (he gave them the methods, didn't actually helped them in the Three). Without the One, and Sauron's plan with it, and Elves wouldn't have the Three either.

I'd guess that without the Silmarils the Noldor would still be in Valinor - but that Luthien would still exist. (as she had nothing to do with the Silamrils when she was born)
And Beren would have met her to as Barahir's folk would have been hunted, as that had nothing to do with The Silmaril's.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 11-09-2004, 04:18 PM   #47
Lenya
Elentári

OK ok, you convinced me also. One tends to forget that the Ring has kind of a mind of its own, meaning it has more power to influence others. So maybe the Ring did inflict more damage
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 05:44 PM   #48
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
And Beren would have met her to as Barahir's folk would have been hunted, as that had nothing to do with The Silmaril's.
No, I don't think so - you can't possibly know that. Beren's fathers went to Dorthonion becasue the Noldor were there - therefore, without the Silmarils, they wouldn't go there - and therefore Beren wouldn't know Luthien the way he did. Maybe another way - but that's unpredictable... it's just if's.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:00 PM   #49
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider The ring

The ring
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:19 PM   #50
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

I have to say that the damage the Silmarils is more tragic because of their original purpose for beauty and goodness. I'm undecided as to whether or not they caused greater damage though....

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:18 AM   #51
Telcontar_Dunedain

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996
The ring
Why do you think that?

Old 01-19-2005, 03:35 PM   #52
Sirion
Sapling

How many elven kingdoms did the Ring destroy? By the time the ring was forged, Middle Earth was just a shadow of what it was in the first age. It has to be the Silmarils. I mean, they either indirectly or directly brought down so many of the great Elven kings. If not for Feanor and his stupid greed, the elves might never have come to Middle Earth, after which none of what followed might have happened. It has to be the Silmarils.
Sirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:49 PM   #53
Lenya
Elentári

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirion
How many elven kingdoms did the Ring destroy? By the time the ring was forged, Middle Earth was just a shadow of what it was in the first age. It has to be the Silmarils. I mean, they either indirectly or directly brought down so many of the great Elven kings. If not for Feanor and his stupid greed, the elves might never have come to Middle Earth, after which none of what followed might have happened. It has to be the Silmarils.
That's a pretty nasty thing to be saying around here. There are always Feanor fans sneeking around, waiting to jump on anyone who happens not to like him. But I agree with the whole greed thing.

The ring were worse though, IMO. It destroyed directly, not as the Silm that were in themselves powerless to destroy anything.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:31 PM   #54
Telcontar_Dunedain

Well what did the Ring destroy directly? Eregion was destroyed by Sauron's forces, not by the Ring.

Old 01-19-2005, 05:36 PM   #55
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenya
That's a pretty nasty thing to be saying around here. There are always Feanor fans sneeking around, waiting to jump on anyone who happens not to like him. But I agree with the whole greed thing.

The ring were worse though, IMO. It destroyed directly, not as the Silm that were in themselves powerless to destroy anything.
Maybe the Ring was worse, but it didn't inflict as much damage. The Silmarils caused a lot of killed Elves and Men... and Orcs, and other creatures. Maybe without the Silmarils The Valar could handle Morgoth without all the unnecessary kills.
The Ring didn't do much worse that Sauron couldn't do without it IMO.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:39 PM   #56
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
The Ring didn't do much worse that Sauron couldn't do without it IMO.
I agree, and seeing as how it kinda held a lot of his powers, I'd say that in a way, it put a check on the amount of damage he was able to inflict...just my thoughts.

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 05:58 PM   #57
Lenya
Elentári

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Well what did the Ring destroy directly? Eregion was destroyed by Sauron's forces, not by the Ring.
Yeah ok. It didn't grasp a sword and slice someone. I'd still say it worked more directly. At least it spoke/called to people to do something.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:01 PM   #58
Telcontar_Dunedain

Well the Silmarils very directly cause the both destructions of Doriath. If it wan't for the Silmarils then the Noldor wouldn't have returned to ME so all the Noldorin kingdoms made there wouldn't have been destroyed etc.

Old 01-20-2005, 03:43 AM   #59
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirion
If not for Feanor and his stupid greed, the elves might never have come to Middle Earth, after which none of what followed might have happened.
Yet another Fëanorophobic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenya
There are always Feanor fans sneeking around, waiting to jump on anyone who happens not to like him.
I don't get it; are you one of those fans?
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 05:25 AM   #60
Lenya
Elentári

NO! I am not a Fëanorophobic.