Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-07-2004, 08:59 PM   #41
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I feel like I'm in an episode of Star Trek. "We may just be a hologragic image running and sitting on someone's desk." Not an exact quote. Episode: Ship In A Bottle."

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 09:42 PM   #42
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Actually, that was my psych class...which I suppose is a science. But yeah. I'm really liking school right now.

Going over the different kinds of empiricism in philosophy are throwing me for a loop right now. It's extremely interesting, but hard to grasp.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:18 PM   #43
inked
Elf Lord

O, but you do err, I assert, in stating that orange does not exist aside from our perception of it! It does. It is electromagnetic radiation at a specific frequency which human eyes can receive. It exists whether or not human eyes do. Consider the spectrum and light. Until Newton demonstrated the components of white light no one knew the mix was there and related to rainbows or forget-me-nots, but they were still appreciated. Same for infrared. We could sense it but not see it.

Ergo, reality is independent of our perception of it and may be quite radically different from our perception of it!

The tree falls and the vibrations exist. They are not received by a human observer. (***BUT if a man indeed farts in the woods without an audience, it still stinketh?***)
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 02:34 AM   #44
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

If a tree falls in the forest and hits a mime

...does anybody care?

Ah. Some light-hearted philosophizing. I see our title has been upgraded to newbie friendly. Yea!

I hope new people don't take this to mean there are only 3 total threads on the board that are friendly to them.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 07:23 AM   #45
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

are we here at all?
is all of this just a fantasy made up by a man that has too much vodka, and too much time?
if we don' exist, why are we worried?
if worry doesn't exist, what am i talking about?
and if we don't exist, how am i talking?
is it me, or am I a figment of my imagination?

these are the questions i want answering, but do these questions exist?
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 07:54 AM   #46
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

While I understand the spirit of this thread...I cannot relate!
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:47 AM   #47
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
O, but you do err, I assert, in stating that orange does not exist aside from our perception of it! It does. It is electromagnetic radiation at a specific frequency which human eyes can receive. It exists whether or not human eyes do. Consider the spectrum and light. Until Newton demonstrated the components of white light no one knew the mix was there and related to rainbows or forget-me-nots, but they were still appreciated. Same for infrared. We could sense it but not see it.

Ergo, reality is independent of our perception of it and may be quite radically different from our perception of it!

The tree falls and the vibrations exist. They are not received by a human observer. (***BUT if a man indeed farts in the woods without an audience, it still stinketh?***)
Yes, if a tree falls the vibrations exist, thus creating sound waves. There is, however, no NOISE, because noise is something that perceived.

I never said the light rays that cause orange aren't there. However, the color does NOT exist because it is simply an array of light. Light has to be perceived for color to exist.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:05 AM   #48
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

One of these days, someone ought to do a TV show about... nothing!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 09:18 AM   #49
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

perception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
One of these days, someone ought to do a TV show about... nothing!

ahhhhhhh.....Seinfeld. They are going to do a special Thanksgiving episode, a type of reunion or something. Should be good. As a New Yorker (though far from any city) I anicipate Seinfeld's return with glee.

Oh, so right, so right, noise takes a receptor like light (eyes-ears), I agree, but where the question may lie is.....This world, our "bodies" are the receptors to some sort of wave (holograms theory again!!) giving "perception" to Life the Universe and Everything.

Hmmmm......but then it seems odd that myself (X) perceives the universe (Y) at all, because what created (X). Then again, the sound of a falling tree is no more related to something's ears. It's like there may be several (X's) and several (Y's) = perception to take place.

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 10:02 AM   #50
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

No, sound is not related to something's ears...but NOISE is. There is a difference.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:08 PM   #51
EarthBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr Polish
No, sound is not related to something's ears...but NOISE is. There is a difference.

who's arguing with you?????

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Old 10-08-2004, 12:12 PM   #52
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Color is an electromagnetic wave of a certain frequency, independent of whether someone sees it or not.

And given that we now exist, even if we all die, orange will still exist, at the very least as a concept.

And that's my humble (and correct ) opinion

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-08-2004 at 12:14 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 12:33 PM   #53
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Unless matter doesn't exist and everything is simply an idea, and the only reason we exist is because not because we are made of anything, but are being perceived by God, and thus, when we perceive color we're only really dealing with ideas.

Whoa...::head explode::
Old 10-08-2004, 01:17 PM   #54
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
Color is an electromagnetic wave of a certain frequency, independent of whether someone sees it or not.
this is true to an extent... though "electromagnetism", "waves" and "frequencies" are all human theories that attempt to explain the properties of light

Quote:
And given that we now exist, even if we all die, orange will still exist, at the very least as a concept.
the "electromagnetic wave of a certain" frequency may still exist... the color "orange", only as long as some humans do... it is just a label for a common perception of that frequency... to one who is colorblind that perception might not even exist, at least from their point of view... which is all that really matters
Old 10-08-2004, 01:23 PM   #55
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
how can you have a concept if there is nothing to conceptualize it?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 01:37 PM   #56
EarthBound

Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex
I agree.

Onward.

Question: if there is mostly space and nothing in the make up of an atom (wave/particle) then could we say we are mostly nothing? Since the size of the atom appears to be based upon the outer rings of electrons, the nucleus itself can be quite small in comparison to the overall size of the atom (marble=nucleus lying in a football field=range of electrons flying around)...that leaves a lot of space. Some might suggest there seems to be no lack of it between my ears......

Wouldn't it be great if beer made you smarter....why can't the universe work like that!! Oh, and pizza made you thin, and police pulled you over to compliment your hair, and this could get silly.

Happy to be here

Old 10-08-2004, 01:40 PM   #57
Valandil

Quote:
Is that an egocentric statement though? Just because "WE're gone" doesnt mean there's nothing... or no-one, left to do the conceptualizing now, does it...???

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 10-08-2004, 02:16 PM   #58
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Is that an egocentric statement though? Just because "WE're gone" doesnt mean there's nothing... or no-one, left to do the conceptualizing now, does it...???
well im assuming no living entities at all. not just no humans. yes that would be egocentric if we were only to assume humans were special in this way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound
Question: if there is mostly space and nothing in the make up of an atom (wave/particle) then could we say we are mostly nothing?
we sure can cause we are. we are essentially atoms doing a complicated dance with each other. the solidness is an illusion. of course because we can never know where an electron is at any given time we make the quantum generalization that its everywhere all at once. so suddenly i feel solid again...

Quote:
Wouldn't it be great if beer made you smarter....why can't the universe work like that!! Oh, and pizza made you thin, and police pulled you over to compliment your hair, and this could get silly.
you mean beer doesnt make me smarter?? sure feels that way. no wonder i get all those funny looks at the bar when im rambling on about something i know nothing about. but hey beer may not make you smarter but at least it makes everyone else look sexier. although its not much of a trade off when you wake up in the morning dumb again and the other person is quite clearly much less sexier...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 02:21 PM   #59
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound
Wouldn't it be great if beer made you smarter....why can't the universe work like that!!
it does... i've solved many of the world's problems with my friends at 4am... if only i could remember the details
Old 10-08-2004, 02:23 PM   #60
Valandil

Quote:
well im assuming no living entities at all. not just no humans. yes that would be egocentric if we were only to assume humans were special in this way...
Of course! There's angels and so forth!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court