Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 07:11 PM   #41
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

Gandalf said he couldnt rise again he said his spirit was still there but he could never rise again. You can kill them tho? I didnt know that.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:29 PM   #42
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
Gandalf said he couldnt rise again he said his spirit was still there but he could never rise again. You can kill them tho? I didnt know that.
Think of Sauron as a entity that fed off of evil. When the Ring was destroyed, he was powerless. Still existing, but powerless and unable to take shape. Useless.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 08-21-2004, 09:35 PM   #43
Haradrim

If he fed off of evil then does that mean that he would feed of any evil in ME. That says to me that if some looney wanted to bring him back all they would have to do is do som einsanely horrible atrocities. Maybe if a new Saruman type figure came along and he started researching the irngs again and created another master ring for Sauron then Sauron could come back right?
Old 08-21-2004, 09:41 PM   #44
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
If he fed off of evil then does that mean that he would feed of any evil in ME. That says to me that if some looney wanted to bring him back all they would have to do is do som einsanely horrible atrocities. Maybe if a new Saruman type figure came along and he started researching the irngs again and created another master ring for Sauron then Sauron could come back right?
No. His being was so deteriorated, that he was unable to ever form again or muster his strength. He was done.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 08-21-2004, 09:59 PM   #45
Haradrim

Where was his spirit though? I mean it had to be somewhere. Where did it go?
Old 08-21-2004, 10:11 PM   #46
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Where was his spirit though? I mean it had to be somewhere. Where did it go?
The void perhaps.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 08-21-2004, 10:16 PM   #47
Haradrim

Now did Saruman actually die. IS he gone? Can he come back? I dont think so because he wasnt as powerful as Sauron and plus he wasnt killed in a fight a gainst evl like Gandalf was when he came back. If he died then would he have gone to the void as well.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:30 PM   #48
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Remember, all of the Maiar were spirits. They could physically be destroyed. They did not die spititually, but could become so weakened that they could not physically form again, or muster their strength to become a threat in their spiritual state. Gandalf was an exception because of his deeds and assigned quest. He was granted a return as a balance so to speak of power in aiding against the evil and to replace a fallen Maia.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 08-21-2004, 10:34 PM   #49
Haradrim

I cant remember if he said it in the books but he said in the movie that he was sent back until his job was done or something. What was that about? DId he mean that he was goin gto Valinor because that seems to be saying two different things. It makes it seem like he will die when his mission is over. When he is really going to Valinor. IS that what he meant?
Old 08-21-2004, 10:49 PM   #50
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

He would not die when he went to Valinor. His mission at the end of the Third Age was complete. He returned to where he came from.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 08-21-2004, 11:01 PM   #51
Haradrim

But just because Sauron is destroyed doesnt mean that evil doesnt exist in ME. I mean wouldnt there rise a new evil at some point to equal things out. I mean there cant be no evil in ME agaian can there. That would be a little wierd.
Old 08-22-2004, 02:53 AM   #52
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Yes but Gandalfs enemy was Sauron not the next Dark Lord, I mean the foes of Morgoth didn't rise again to rid Middle-Earth of Sauron. It's like what Elrond said in CoE

' It is for us who still dwell here to deal with.'

If a new Dark Lord arises most likely his enemy will be the King of Gondor.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:24 AM   #53
Haradrim

I didnt think Gandalf had one enemy. I thought he fought evil not just Sauron.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:33 AM   #54
Telcontar_Dunedain

Yes but his one true foe was Sauron thought he had others. Gandalf was Sauron's nemesis so to speak.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:45 AM   #55
Haradrim

I font know. I never realkly thought of them that way. As nemesis'. I always figured it was ood vs. evil and there were certain champions like Aragron, and Gandalf for good and Witch-king and Sauron for evil. I mean I know why Gandalf left but I dont think Sauron and Gandalf were nemesis.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:05 AM   #56
Telcontar_Dunedain

Look on pg 950 The Steward and the King and Gandalf says to Aragorn

'The Third Age was my age. I was the enemy of Sauron; and my work is finished. I shall go soon. The burden must lie on you and your kindred'

Last edited by Telcontar_Dunedain : 08-22-2004 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:31 AM   #57
Haradrim

Oh well thanks. I have to reread the books. thanks for the correction!
Old 08-22-2004, 03:59 PM   #58
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

great, haradrim! it's good that you've started many new topics here, we really need them!

i find this discussion hilarious.. in the general messages we discuss whether animals are moral beings or not, here we discuss whether the gold is evil or not.

well, that's my contribution this time. i don't think gold can be evil in itself, not even in a fantasy world. but the ring was evil, yes.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Old 08-22-2004, 04:04 PM   #59
Telcontar_Dunedain

If its a question of if gold is evil it can be or it can make people evil. Look at the way Thorin acted when Bard asked for his rightful share of the gold of the Lonely MOuntain.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 08-22-2004, 04:15 PM   #60
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
But just because Sauron is destroyed doesnt mean that evil doesnt exist in ME. I mean wouldnt there rise a new evil at some point to equal things out. I mean there cant be no evil in ME agaian can there. That would be a little wierd.
Evil will always exist, the same as good. However, at that particular time, it was such a great evil that the peoples of Middle-earth were not capable of defeating it without the intervention of the Valar and Eru's input himself. Therefore, they were aided with an equivalent balance of power to help them. In todays world our greatest enemy is ourselves. Man. There is no need to have a devine intervention for the sake of good. Good will triumph over evil or otherwise with an equal balance.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Closed Thread