Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-11-2001, 07:57 PM   #41
Johnny Lurker

Hmmm... Macs vs. PCs...

I respect one thing and one thing only about Macs. The laptops. I'm a hardcore PC'er, but if I was given the choice of any retail laptop, I'd probably get one of those titanium numbers.

Aside from that... with PCs, you get more bang for the buck, and more bang period. You can't rack-mount 40 iMac's in your wiring closet, now, can you? (I'm referring to those beauties from Dell, btw... and technically, I have read something about rack-mounting iMacs, but they're still rather bulky without the monitor and power supply).
Old 03-11-2001, 08:33 PM   #42
mRoWrY

Macs still rule, regardless

I doubt you'd want to rack-mount iMacs since they ARE the lower end of Apple's line; if anyone was looking for that kind of power, obviously they would use G4s. Which CAN be done; I read about it in MacAddict. =)

Of course, when I say "Macs rule" it's an opinion and opinion only, and all opinions are biased because otherwise they wouldn't be OPINIONS. However, I find that many PC users have never used Macs extensively and therefore jump to conclusions about it automatically sucking because they can't get accustomed to the interface quickly enough. On the other hand, I grew up in the age of technology using a PC, and I have used a PC longer than I have used a Mac. This explains why I found myself in heaven when I got my iMac, although it isn't quite the strongest machine in Apple's line of computers. (LOL, what does that say about PCs?) Also, I have this little fascination with graphics and movie-editing and I rarely game so... to each her own. Besides, all the best games (with the exception of CMI) do get ported to the Mac because they are successful enough in the PC world to have the financing! Hehe... which reminds me... someone with the intials Y.M.R. still owes me either The Sims, EMI when it comes out this month, or Alice when it comes out in May, for my last BIRTHDAY which was in SEPTEMBER. (Ben knows who I'm talking about.)
Old 03-11-2001, 10:41 PM   #43
Johnny Lurker

I'd just like to point out...

... that Half-Life wasn't ported.

(Oh, and I have put in a lot of hours on Macs... done everything from word processing to video manipulation to setting up a DNS server. I haven't found anything that they can do better as of yet.)
Old 03-11-2001, 11:07 PM   #44
mRoWrY

Re: I'd just like to point out...

Shall I reiterate? All the BEST games get ported... :lol:
Old 03-12-2001, 12:06 AM   #45
Grand Admiral Reese

How did a discussion on age turn into a Mac vs. PC discussion?
Old 03-12-2001, 05:38 AM   #46
Lief Erikson

No idea.

I'm fifteen.

Anyone else interested in risking fame and fortune and telling their age?
Old 03-12-2001, 04:26 PM   #47
Tar Melian

Risk! LOL!!!

I don't think anyone has really risked anything yet! I think being the youngest is cool, being the oldest...well, perhaps not!
Old 03-12-2001, 05:21 PM   #48
Lief Erikson

Well. (in an exasperated tone)

Actually, that's my opinion too. (Sniffs) Some people have no sense of humor.

Upon my word! You give your opinions very decidedly for so young a person! Pray, what is your age?
Old 03-12-2001, 06:21 PM   #49
Gilthalion

Who is the eldest?

Currently, I believe that I am owed the distinction and veneration due to the eldest regular participant.

I was born before man walked the surface of the moon! I was born before the assassination of Kennedy and the death of Churchill!

I personally remember the veterans of the World Wars and the Korean War.

I am friends with the veterans of the Vietnam War.

I am a child of the Cold War.

I was in the first graduating class to use calculators instead of slide rules.

I have watched the science fiction I read when I was Biriwilg's age, become the reality of the present.

From my perspective, I see the advent of the Third Millenium as the beginning of a Golden Age, or a Dark Age.

Which it becomes, will depend largely upon what you youngsters decide as individuals in your personal lives, and as citizens when you take up the mantle of participation and leadership in the civilization of the future.

I envy you, and I fear for you. I shall always pray for you. Remember, in this new age of wonders, not to neglect the widom of the ages. There is really nothing new under the sun. Nothing that truly matters. If you do not see that today, perhaps with age and experience and an ever-young and teachable heart, you will see that for yourselves.

Regards!

Gilthalion the Old
Old 03-12-2001, 06:28 PM   #50
Lief Erikson

Re: Who is the eldest?

So, ancient fellow, how old art thou claiming to be?

Please forgive any disrespect in this question, I am simply a youth in heart, soul and body, perhaps lacking the ability to give you your due, Gilthalian the Old.
Old 03-12-2001, 07:40 PM   #51
biriwilg

This is what happens...

This is what happens when I don't check this board for a few days. It turns into a 3-page long discussion of iMacs! I think it's fun being the youngest. Although most people can't tell, they always think I'm 14. I don't know why. :P
Old 03-12-2001, 07:53 PM   #52
Lief Erikson

A challenge!

And Gilthalian the Old thinks it's fun to be the eldest. Tar Melian's theory is hereby challenged!

Who has the most fun? You, or the Old One?

I'm waiting in anticipation for the contestants to begin . . .
Old 03-12-2001, 11:00 PM   #53
Tar Melian

Oh Ancient One...

Ditto for me on all of those, Gil!! Except, I believe it was college before I got my first Texas Instruments, and it cost $60! (That was alot of money back then!)

I can remember when gasoline was 25 cents a gallon, (there's not even a cents sign on the computer!), and I could get a coke and a candy bar for a quarter.

At Christmas, Mom made me make my Christmas list from the Sears catalog, and it couldn't add up to more than $25! There were actually several items on my list, and we were a typical middle income family, 3 bedroom rancher and all. I can't even fill an Easter basket for $25 nowadays!

Oh, and my dad was IN the Korean War, and my brother got his draft number for the Vietnam war...luckily it ended before he got called.

I do believe I'm probably older than you Gil, (I have the stretch marks to prove it, having had 3 kids, but thank goodness I don't have to!) Being a lady, however, I will concede to your Agedness, because...I'll never tell!
Old 03-12-2001, 11:04 PM   #54
Lief Erikson

Re: Oh Ancient One...

I apologize profusely.
Old 03-13-2001, 03:08 AM   #55
Tar Melian

apologize?

No need to! But maybe I should... I can't believe I said that! Oh well....being oldest is fun because you don't worry as much about what other people think of you!
Old 03-13-2001, 03:25 AM   #56
Lief Erikson

Re: apologize?

Have you ever seen Pride and Prejudice?
Old 03-13-2001, 02:27 PM   #57
Tar Melian

P&P?

8o Oh noooo! Now I'm really going to show my ignorance!?....Sounds familar, but no, don't think I have.
Old 03-13-2001, 04:55 PM   #58
Lief Erikson

P&P

Okay, I was apologizing for a quote I gave at the bottom of a previous post that's from P&P which now seems rather badly placed.

Well, can't think of anything else to say right now. Is the discussion between whether or not Macs or PCs are better over?
Old 03-13-2001, 08:06 PM   #59
mRoWrY

Macs vs. PCs

Of course, the conclusion has been reached: Macs win.

[c] :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: [/c]
Okay okay, fine. Let's call it a truce. PCs aren't that bad after all... they're just aaHAa sT&^oP )*#&tRYiNg )*#( tO rEfrA#*))*iN mE i wA*@#^$S gOiN&(#G tO Ad#*(D tO Th#*)2At.... fdf0)*#@sklc)*
Old 03-13-2001, 08:30 PM   #60
Gilthalion

Respect my ancientry!

I am old enough to know better! (But you can check the forthcoming Membership Directory...)

And I think the TI calculator issue declares that I am indeed probably older than Tar Melian, though gallantry would have me insist even if it were not truely so!