Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-17-2004, 11:21 PM   #41
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Falagar
You just used a post to tell him he's a spammer. I'd call you a spammer, if I hadn't just used a post to tell you you're a spammer for telling him he's a spammer. Plus you're admin....
Spammer!
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 11:38 PM   #42
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Quote:
By the way - the 2,700 users is meaningless too because many people have multiple names, signed up and never even posted or are no longer active members.
now you got it

yeah - there are literaly hundreds upon hundreds of members who have zero posts.

The 2,700th member may never ever post.

On the top posters list - it has 256 total pages and 10 members on each page.

from pages 188-256 are members with 0 posts. and from 155-188 members with 1. There are hundreds more of others with 10 or under posts.

How many members are actually active out of the 2700 are actually active? Around 30?

It is an interesting thing to say though. 10,000 topics is a lot. It is amazing that the board is still successful now with so many topics.

I was just saying that it is not any incredible marker or anything and that the board already hit 10,000 total topics several months ago at the very least.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 11:41 PM   #43
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
now you got it

yeah - there are literaly hundreds upon hundreds of members who have zero posts.

The 2,700th member may never ever post.

On the top posters list - it has 256 total pages and 10 members on each page.

from pages 188-256 are members with 0 posts. and from 155-188 members with 1. There are hundreds more of others with 10 or under posts.

How many members are actually active out of the 2700 are actually active? Around 30?

It is an interesting thing to say though. 10,000 topics is a lot. It is amazing that the board is still successful now with so many topics.

I was just saying that it is not any incredible marker or anything and that the board already hit 10,000 total topics several months ago at the very least.
Tristan I ALWAYS got it. Just close the damn thread if you want to. Obviously it didn't matter. Funny though - to some people it did matter.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-17-2004 at 11:47 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 12:03 AM   #44
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Four new threads and two new members. This thread's already a dinosaur.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:23 AM   #45
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Bombadillo
Four new threads and two new members. This thread's already a dinosaur.
Well then I guess the parties over. We had a grouch here anyway by the name of Tristan/Hobbit.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 02:35 AM   #46
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I'll party with you, JD

*pops some champagne* Here, have a glass! Go us!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 11:19 AM   #47
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Well, I just kinda stumbled upon it while searching "Tolkien" on Yahoo. And really, I have become more obcessed since I joined, both with Tolkien and chocolate. I must say I've enjoyed so much here.

Good friends, good adult influences, Ruinel and SGH, Mud Wrestling, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Bree to Moria, TLA, Entmoot's LotR remake, Hytorax, "I MADE A SONG" with Strawberry IceCream, being a crew member of the NAL, and Canada/America arguments with JD.

And that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface.

Last edited by Finrod Felagund : 05-31-2004 at 10:19 AM.
Finrod Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 11:22 AM   #48
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

gimli found this site while typing in tolkien on google and joined, then i joine and after about 3 months i actually started posting. since then ive been on a lot.

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 11:28 AM   #49
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

There are lots of things I miss. I miss Cirdan and A-E not posting as much. I miss Elf Girl and EG, and XK, and Tano, and TC... they still post, but not much. I miss debating in the anti-theist thread and I miss Nibs, and I miss Frodofriend, and Rogue, and Darth Tater, and even CBG.... And where the hell is Garina?! ... And Wayfarer... God we used to have some great debates.
Wow, I miss all those people too!

...HOBBIT...don't ruin it dude!
Old 02-18-2004, 04:53 PM   #50
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Okay I'm having one of those moments.....

Thank you Ben, the Admins and the Moderators who keep this bored running smoothly and free of spam (well maybe not that free......), without you and without this board I wouldn't have got to know so many Tolkien fans - not movie-fans - as I have done. And without Entmoot there would be many 'mooters' who would be free to go back to 'the real world'.... and we don't want that do we?

Thank You.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 12:22 AM   #51
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

I would have to say that Entmoot made me the Tolkien-lover that I am. I had read the books several times, and I found Entmoot through a link on Barrowdowns while looking for info on the movie (before the first one came out). Lurked for a while, and finally registered in March 2002, just in time to help StrawberryIceCream plan a raid on the Cadberry's factory.
yum.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 06:13 AM   #52
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

One trip down memory lane coming up....

I can still see myself sitting at that same computer in the christmas holidays two years ago, page by page working myself through the TolkienTrail after I had stumbled on it through the barrowdowns. I should have been studying for my exams but the Entmoot was much more attractive, still has that lure now. (I did pass those exams though)

I remember how shocked I was when SGH broke the news to me that Elves can be reincarnated and that LoTR-Glorfindel was very probably Sil-Glorfindel. I didn't even know what HoME was, now I've got them all! (neener neener)

I remember having 'newbie queen' in my signature.

I remember and miss some of the members that used to post a lot and don't do so now anymore. I'm very grateful for those that DID stay and still post.

I fondly remember some absolute gems of role plays, The quest for wine, the Tolkien Lovers Anonymous, the Entmoot parties, the Hytorax...

When thinking about it, these two years have been absolutely grand. I can tell you this: the 'moot life is a good life!
Old 02-20-2004, 10:16 AM   #53
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by crickhollow
I would have to say that Entmoot made me the Tolkien-lover that I am.
Me too. I don't discuss Tolkien's works as much as I would like, but Entmoot was certainly what pushed me over the edge from 'Tolkien fan' to 'Tolkien fanatic'.

Eärniel- "Newbie Queen"? *Raises eyebrow*
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 11:22 AM   #54
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I have cut back my messageboard time recently. My "real" people have requested more attention from me, and I have to agree with them! Still, Entmoot is #1 on my messageboard list. My first, and favorite.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:37 PM   #55
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I've become quite interested in the phenomenon of 'Online Community'... wonder what the socialogists have to say about this.

Say - for you old timers... some of the things said here made me interested in checking out the membership lists. I noticed that the floodgates really opened on new members on August 10, 2001... and people were joining at the rate of 8 or 10 per day for some time after that. Was there something in particular that triggered this? Did it have to do with the impending release of 'The Fellowship of the Ring' in another four months,... or was there an article about the site,... or new links established,... or a particular Michael Martinez article... or did something else happen then??

Last edited by Valandil : 02-20-2004 at 01:13 PM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 01:11 PM   #56
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Think it was SGH that gave me a link to this place, on the SF-board. Had the link for a long time without registrating, then finally decided to check it out. Never regretted.

Last edited by Falagar : 02-20-2004 at 01:12 PM.
Falagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 02:01 PM   #57
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i found entmoot in december of '01 via martinez as i said... but i found martinez as a result of searching for early movie info

eventhough i've always been a tolkien fan, and an internet user since the early 90's, it was the movie which inspired me to tie the two together
Old 02-20-2004, 03:28 PM   #58
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
I've become quite interested in the phenomenon of 'Online Community'... wonder what the socialogists have to say about this.

Yes. Very interesting. Is it (Online community) "real"? I know you all are certainly "real people", but you exist (for me) only on my computer screen. (I cannot hear, touch, see or smell you for that matter, all I can do is read your typed thoughts! ) My hubby veiws message boards as "virtual". I guess that means "not real". The time I spend in front of the computer reading and posting means nothing to him or our children. It is a solo experience. As with many things, there is a fine line between "enhancement" and ....shall I type it... addiction!

It's a phenomenon all right, and I'm sure there are mucho many out there in way over their heads. My main problem was our phone was busy a lot! When I think about people getting sexual jollies over the internet....I shudder at the "wasted" lives. We only have so much time to be alive.....better not get too plugged in!
Old 02-20-2004, 03:33 PM   #59
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I agree with Lizra, you have to be careful how much time you spend online, because it can be addictive . I've been invited to join other boards, but my solution was to ONLY be on Entmoot, or I knew I'd be spending too much time online. The "real" people in your life should have priority, but I really see the Mooters as "real", too. And I know of several that talk on the phone frequently, and get together when they're in town.

(and Lizra, you haven't seen me, but you've heard me before! )

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 03:59 PM   #60
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
I agree with Lizra, you have to be careful how much time you spend online, because it can be addictive . I've been invited to join other boards, but my solution was to ONLY be on Entmoot, or I knew I'd be spending too much time online.
Oh yeah, tell me about it. I have refrained from joining other boards because if I know that if I spent as much time on them as I spend on Entmoot, there would be no time for sleeping.
Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
The "real" people in your life should have priority, but I really see the Mooters as "real", too. And I know of several that talk on the phone frequently, and get together when they're in town.
Oh yeah, tell me about that too

I had a look at my ICQ message archives and found some messages from the day that I joined Entmoot. Insidious Rex sent me this message:
"greetings Jonathan. I wanted to tell you and the others of something before our big meeting today. theres a tolkien message board we should all join. its a great place to talk among even more tolkien enthusiasts. the address is http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/ and the others are now joinging it as well."

And the very first thing I replied was:
"now i've joined that board" and I've been a Mooter ever since
Btw IRex, I don't think you ever told me where you got the link to Entmoot. How did you find it?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote