Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-09-2004, 06:57 PM   #41
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I have no problem with the death penalty. Some crimes fit the punishment. It also isn't the easiest thing to get the death penalty. It has to be unanimous jury and then it goes through repeated appeals. Even after all that - the person may never be executed.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 10:14 PM   #42
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
I just heard on the news that this guy is the father of three little girls. What a wacko!
one of his neighbors said that she always thought he was a great father to his kids though. Thats why Im so interested in finding out the facts to this case. What the hell happened? Did this guy snap? Most of his convictions were drug related or stuff like keeping an unregisted fire arm. Only one was actually assault I think and that was assaulting another adult. Hed never had any issues with kids I dont think. So was he just out of his mind on drugs at the time? Did he snap? Was he thinking hed use her for ransom and then panicked? Id like to know before you guys lynch him and drag his body down main street.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 10:17 PM   #43
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

and if it was an accident type thing, he shouldnt get the death penalty, but he should still be harshly (as in, a real tough term behind the bars) punished.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:08 AM   #44
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Id like to know before you guys lynch him and drag his body down main street.
You guys? I don't recall saying any such thing. I did speak on the death penalty.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:49 AM   #45
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Quote:
Doesn't the bible say something about [an eye for eye, tooth for tooth]?
Yes it does: Exodus 21:23-25:
Quote:
"But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, bruise for bruise."
And this is not referring to trade (as I think BoP said), but to personal injury. (In case anyone was wondering, Exodus is thought to have been written around 1500-1400 BC.)

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)

Last edited by Shadowfax : 02-10-2004 at 01:51 AM.
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 02:02 AM   #46
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yes, but I'm pretty sure the phrase pre-dates the biblical inclusion - I think it comes from mesopotamia or something like that.

Edit - yeah it comes from Hammurabi... one of the first set of codified laws to be written up I believe... Not sure where I got the trade thing from - vaguely remember some lecturer telling us about it, but I can't find anything. Mebbe I'm thinking of something else?

Last edited by BeardofPants : 02-10-2004 at 02:17 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 02:08 AM   #47
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Myself, Hemel, and The Gaffer are against the death penalty altogether. Obviously everyone in this thread can't be lumped into one group.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 02:47 AM   #48
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Okay, now I've got it... The Laws of Hammurabi deal quite a lot with trade and such, and if such and such forfeits, they'll have their eyes cut out. So I WAS correct in thinking that it deal with trade, but wrong in assessing that it wasn't meant in a vengeful manner. It seems that the bible usage is correct in accordance to the origin of the statement.

The Laws of Hammurabi:
http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~wldciv/worl...hammurabi.html
Old 02-10-2004, 03:08 AM   #49
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Okay, now I've got it... The Laws of Hammurabi deal quite a lot with trade and such, and if such and such forfeits, they'll have their eyes cut out. So I WAS correct in thinking that it deal with trade, but wrong in assessing that it wasn't meant in a vengeful manner. It seems that the bible usage is correct in accordance to the origin of the statement.

The Laws of Hammurabi:
http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~wldciv/worl...hammurabi.html
Ok. Thanks for looking up sources. That always helps.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:18 AM   #50
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

Somewhere in the bible it says that if an owner knows that his ox or something is dangerous (as in it has previously attacked someone) and it kills someone that the owner should be killed.
Wow. It was in the old testament tho and thats the thing a lot of christians are like 'jesus fulfilled the old testament we don't have to do that anymore' but supposedly it was 'god's law not the pharisees or whatever. Plus there aren't any laws in the new testament really I don't think... whats with that
Old 02-10-2004, 11:43 AM   #51
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I am opposed to the death penalty. For me, you either think murder and torture are wrong, or you don't. To say it's totally wrong to kill an innocent person and perfectly right to kill a guilty one is a triumph of emotion over reason, and the beginning of a dangerous train of thought, IMO.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 03:27 PM   #52
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well said, Sun Star.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:20 PM   #53
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by sun-star
I am opposed to the death penalty. For me, you either think murder and torture are wrong, or you don't. To say it's totally wrong to kill an innocent person and perfectly right to kill a guilty one is a triumph of emotion over reason, and the beginning of a dangerous train of thought, IMO.
In this situation, what would you suggest should happen, or in any situation of cold blooded murder? I for one am not eager to work my ass off all day every day to feed, cloth, and support some idiot that doesn't know I exist or cares if I live or die, let alone his victim. I don't think he should be tortured and people only feel that way because they are angry now. If the system works, he will die though, and deservedly. More mercifully than she did.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 06:06 PM   #54
jerseydevil

I agree with SGH. Also the death penalty in the US has nothing to do with emotion - it has to do with the severity of the crime. People outside US have no understanding what so ever of our justice system or our death penalty. Some of the comments from non-Americnas has made this perfectly clear.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 02-10-2004, 07:18 PM   #55
Hemel
Elven Warrior

*sigh*

Come on, JD, let's not start the US vs the rest again.

I don't agree with the death penalty. I don't care what the country is that enacts it, nor how they may try to sanitise it, nor how they may try to justify it.

I think the death penalty is barbaric. End of story.

Last edited by Hemel : 02-10-2004 at 07:20 PM.
Hemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:38 PM   #56
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Hemel
*sigh*

Come on, JD, let's not start the US vs the rest again.
I'm not - it's just a fact that they don't understand our justice system - but yet have no problem in saying how it works here. If they didn't tell Americans about OUR justice system - I wouldn't have to tell them they have no idea what they are talking about.

I realize that sun-star didn't point out America in particular - but many people have posted before about how America can just kill anyone with the death penalty.
Quote:

I don't agree with the death penalty. I don't care what the country is that enacts it, nor how they may try to sanitise it, nor how they may try to justify it. Anyway - the death penalty is a STATE issue and NOT a US issue.

I think the death penalty is barbaric. End of story.
I don't - nor do the majority of Americans. Some crimes fit the death penalty and each case has to be based on it's individual merits.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 02-10-2004 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:01 PM   #57
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
I for one am not eager to work my ass off all day every day to feed, cloth, and support some idiot that doesn't know I exist or cares if I live or die, let alone his victim.
Yes - but you are willing to pay for his/her appeals on deathrow? Because the reality is that it costs more to put a criminal to death, than it does to keep him/her in prison.

JD - just because someone disagrees with the death penalty, doesn't mean that they are against America.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:11 PM   #58
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

The USA isn't the only country with a death penalty anyway. I actually think it would cost more to keep someone in jail for the rest of their natural lives than it would to go through the appeal process. However, money is not a good consideration of wether or not to put someone to death.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:36 PM   #59
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
I actually think it would cost more to keep someone in jail for the rest of their natural lives than it would to go through the appeal process.
No thats an old pro argument for killing people but its been disproven. The amount of money poured into captial punishment cases and the special housing and all that is still a lot more then putting someone in jail for life.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:56 PM   #60
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
JD - just because someone disagrees with the death penalty, doesn't mean that they are against America.
I didn't say it was. It's when people outside the US start trying to say how the US justice system works and how the death penalty is handed out, when they obviously have no idea what they are talking about that bugs me. As I said - Sun-Star didn't mention the US - but it has come up before with past threads from various people.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide