Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-21-2002, 12:50 AM   #41
JenniferTook
Hobbit

I had this exact experience. I took my best friend to see it and I actually thought she knew it was a trilogy, since I kept commenting about how I was reading the 3rd book, but apparently I was wrong. At the end of the film, right in the silence between the end of the movie itself and the beginning of the credits, she yells out, "No s**t!" We almost peed ourselves laughing. Well, she has become a fan....

Jennifer
JenniferTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 08:33 AM   #42
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Hi JenniferTook - I see from your profile you are studying history.
Don't make the same mistake as FF - Middle Earth history does NOT count as valid answers during exams
Old 01-21-2002, 11:45 AM   #43
JenniferTook
Hobbit

LOL, Gerbil! But I wouldn't be so sure if I were you. I am currently taking an real class at college called Tolkien and His Circle and required reading is Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit and Silmarillion. However, it wouldn't be a good idea to answer ME history to other classes! I am trying to get as close as possible by studying English History. I bet that is the closest I can get to ME.

Jennifer
JenniferTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 11:45 AM   #44
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Ain't it amazing, gerbil, to see how five minutes out of three hours twenty minutes can get so many people ticked off?
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 10:39 PM   #45
Luthien Tinuviel
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
Ain't it amazing, gerbil, to see how five minutes out of three hours twenty minutes can get so many people ticked off?
I don't have a problem w/ Liv Tyler in LOTR. I did until like six months before LOTR came out, cuz i didn't think she was "elfish" enough to pull it off. But i had changed my mind before it came out, and it stayed changed after i saw it. I don't consider the romantic scenes the best in the movie, and she isn't my favorite character, but i think she was fine.

Oh, and one of my friends, who is now one of my favorite people for saying this, right after he saw the movie, he IM'ed me, and told me Arwen looked like me. NOT that *I* looked like Arwen, but arwen looked like me. lol. Anyways, as Liv Tyler is undeniably pretty, i thought it was a extremely high compliment, (hence him being one of my fav people now!) So that put her even higher on my "do i like her or not" meter, cuz according to him, and another one of my friends, i like look her! Anyways, i am RAMBLING...
Of stars in shadow shimmering.
Tinúviel was dancing there
To music of a pipe unseen,
And light of starts was in her hair,
And in her raiment glimmering

There Beren came from mountains cold,
And lost he wandered under leaves,
And where the Elven-river rolled.
He walked alone and sorrowing.
He peered between the hemlock-leaves
And saw in wonder flowers of gold
Upon her mantle and her sleeves,
And her hair like shadow following.

He sought her ever, wandering far
Where leaves or years were thickly strewn,
By light of moon and ray of star
In frosty heavens shivering.
Her mantle glinted in the moon.
And on a hill-top high and far
She danced, and at her feet was strewn
A mist of silver quivering.

Last edited by Luthien Tinuviel : 01-21-2002 at 10:40 PM.
Luthien Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 10:53 PM   #46
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Um errr Luthien?
A quick warning.
Saying Liv Tyler looks like you is not the best way to stop people chatting you up on here.
It's even possible it might, somehow, have the opposite effect.

I bet you get a few private messages after that post

I think you'd better sort this out by sending me a picture of you.
Errr I mean posting it up on this board.

Anyway, would love to stay and chat, I've got an urgent private message to write....
Old 01-21-2002, 11:00 PM   #47
Luthien Tinuviel
Hobbit

*can't stop laughing*

NOW i know what you meant Gerbil... Lol, well, remember, this is just two of my friends comments, not everyone will agree...
Of stars in shadow shimmering.
Tinúviel was dancing there
To music of a pipe unseen,
And light of starts was in her hair,
And in her raiment glimmering

There Beren came from mountains cold,
And lost he wandered under leaves,
And where the Elven-river rolled.
He walked alone and sorrowing.
He peered between the hemlock-leaves
And saw in wonder flowers of gold
Upon her mantle and her sleeves,
And her hair like shadow following.

He sought her ever, wandering far
Where leaves or years were thickly strewn,
By light of moon and ray of star
In frosty heavens shivering.
Her mantle glinted in the moon.
And on a hill-top high and far
She danced, and at her feet was strewn
A mist of silver quivering.
Luthien Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 03:23 PM   #48
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

lots of people went out 4 popcorn and stuff and i was really shocked?i didn't do that once in any of my 5 viewings!
not many stupid comments apart from my m8 bridge making sadass jokes about legolas' name sounding remotely like legless, and my other m8 jess drooling over "that guy with the sword"
i however left the cinema amazed and literally speechless.
some relatives said that there were too many fighting scenes and some should have been cut out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!fools.the lot of em.
Old 02-21-2002, 05:11 PM   #49
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

ack! there IS another one of me running around on the moot!

oh well, i hope the rest of you will be able to distingish the different spacing in the names...eh..?

although, i don't thinkid mind being confused, she sounds smarter than me, well except for the Liv Tyler thing.

well on my 8th veiwing this man ( who had obviously read the book) talked thru the movie to his wife (who hadn't read the books)
it WAS funny to see him FLIP OUT at the flight to the ford scence though haha
these kids right in front of me kept leaning thier chairs back onto my poor knees, so finally i nonchalantly kicked the stupid bastard in his head while pretending to cross my legs

at the end, me and the loud guy were the only ones to get up everyone else just looked at us funny and then saw that the movie was over.

oh it was really funny when one of the kids in front of me (not the one i kicked) turned around in surprise when i was reciting elvish along with the movie.. hehe i just gave him a wink and a smile and turned back to the movie.

ahh funny emories.
anyone hear anything new about the re-release with bonus footage?
Old 02-21-2002, 06:05 PM   #50
Celebwen
Hobbit

Location: somewhere, over the rainbow, preferribly in Middle-Earth......
I admit after my first veiwing I was one of those girls who thought that "That bow dude was so cute!"......But, okay you can't blame me, I wasn't a ent back then. I saw the trailers and thought it looked cool, so when my 19-yr old bro came home from college for Christmas, he took me. (since he had read the series and wanted to see the movie like any other LotR freak. Previously, I was a Star Wars/Redwall fan, but after I got home from the movies.......CELEBWEN was born!!!) lol I started crying when Boromir died (but not when Gandalf fell into Moria-my bro promised me that he wasn't dead so I took his word for it) and I was laughing so hard when Aragorn cut off Lurtz' head!!!
I went to an Imax theater so the sound was REALLY intense and I got a huge headache, and my bro started cracking up at a bunch of non-Tolkien people who were shouting "MR.ANDERSONN!!!!". I have yet to see a better movie!

The second time I went was with my bro AGAIN- This time we were late to the cinema so we got 4th row seats and had to look UP alll the time. Nothing really happened other than a bunch of obnoxious people were throwing popcorn around and a girl next to me was complaining about the sound. I started chanting Galadriel's introduction to the movie (I amar prestar aen....The world is changed...) and got alot of wierd looks from people. After the movie finished a guy came up to me and asked me if I was Arwen (since I was conversing in Sindarin with my brother)-it turned out he was drunk but I said YES!!!!

The third time I went was with my mom. I had to practically drag her along because "scary movies" aren't her thing. She screamed when Boromir died, and she kept asking me who was who and if Elrond was Legolas (heaven forbid Hugo being Orli!!).
...'I chose thumbs because they are very important. If I hadn't my thumbs I don't suppose I could ride my horse or write letters or pinch my litttle brothers, so I thought perhaps I should make a list of everything I couldn't do without my thumbs, for if a heathen came across the sea threatening to cut off my thumbs I might read my list and maybe he would change his mind. Then again, the likelyness of my being threatened by a heathen and whether a list would change his mind is very slim, so I'll save myself some time and not write a list!'
Celebwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 10:36 PM   #51
The_Real_Legolas
Elven Warrior

Re: Did this happen to anyone else?!

Quote:
Originally posted by AngieBaggins
HI,
Ok, did anyone else get up and go at the end and heard people say, "Wait, did i miss something? WHERE's the ending!" lol.
I did, the second time i saw it i was with my sister and when the part came when it was just about to black out, i stood up and she said, "Where are you going, it hasn't ended yet!" I laughed really loud when she turnedback and saw that credits were rolling. All the way to the parking lot and halfway home she woulnd't stop saying, "What happened! It didn't have an ending!" LoL. I had to explain it to her why it, had an ending, and why it didn't have an ending. Anyone else had an experience like this??
it happened to me my cuz and mom did not get it but I hope they show the rest in TTT

One ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them
LEGOLAS ROCKS & so do I! GO ARCHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The_Real_Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 04:33 PM   #52
LuthienTinuviel

ya you guys sould have heard all the high school kids start cracking up and talking whenever anyone was smoking a pipe.
argh! i could have hit them all!

oh well.. im going agin tonite...#9!
Old 02-22-2002, 04:35 PM   #53
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I'm a high school kid and that thought didn't even occur to me at my first viewing! I hate immature people ::sigh::

The last time I saw it someone's phone rang three time. It made me angry, because it was at pretty important scenes (Weathertop, for one)
Old 02-22-2002, 05:13 PM   #54
LuthienTinuviel

im a high school kid and only ALL of my friends are into the whole "lets go get stoned" thing, and i didn't even think of it that way until those kids laughed, gol dern apedixes, making me so smart!

now if only i could spell!
Old 02-22-2002, 05:16 PM   #55
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
AAAHHH! DEATH TO CELL PHONES!!! *grins innocently* But I hate folk with cell phones that ring 24/7.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 08:38 PM   #56
Evenstar
Elven Warrior

The third time that I went to see it...there was like a ten month old baby in the cinema...It didn't cry at all which was good but...the orcs freaked me out...that baby's gonna have nightmares for ever!!!
Old 02-22-2002, 10:29 PM   #57
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I was quite amused by these guys who, after the movie, were saying:
guy 1: They're making more movies, right?
guy 2: I wonder if they'll actually throw the ring into that volcano-thing.
guy 3: I bet they will. I mean, it would be stupid if they didn't.
guy 4: yeah.
guy 1: That Strider guy was pretty cool.

Anyway. I was tempted to tell them what happens, but of course I didn't. They weren't near as bad as some...
That was my 4th viewing, BTW. I just saw it for the 6th time today! (My goal is 9...)

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 10:35 PM   #58
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Evenstar

Hey...I was one of the people that jumped real high!!!! It scared the **** out of me!!! Especially cause his face went strange!!! I didn't scream...but my friend did!!! I LOVED IT!!!
I jumped the first time I saw it, and then today, my 6th viewing, I actually jumped again. I had forgotten about that part, I guess....wierdness.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 10:41 PM   #59
ladyisme
Enting

Treebeard

The last time I went to see it the fire alarm went off in the middle of the movie and then, when we went back they had trouble with the sound so that we saw Saruman talking but heard N'SINC.

Quote:
"The road goes ever on and on down from the door where it began."
ladyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 10:51 PM   #60
LuthienTinuviel

oh no! that is terrible!
saruman and nsync, geez.. i think i have to go have night mares now..