Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-28-2002, 08:08 AM   #41
Millane
The Dude

ohhh whinge whinge whinge

Quote:
DON'T MAKE THE FILM!!!!!
DON'T WATCH THE FILM!!!!!... honestly did that thought ever enter your brain... all people seem to do round here is sook sook sook... the movie is crap blah blah blah... anyway that is that.
well as everyone also sooks about how arwen is in it too much i will talk about her...

is she at helms deep coz i read The Womans Weekly (a large sacrifice on my behalf that just proved my undying devotion to Lord) coz i heard there was a thing about the TT in there and it says how Eowyn took up sword training with Arwen... now i know eowyn fights but where the hell does arwen... and one more while were on arwen i heard awhile back that she was singing for the soundtrack is this true or just unfounded rumour...

p.s. viggosbeard love the little rasta fella.
Old 11-28-2002, 12:23 PM   #42
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf

okay and here for something that's even annoying about the books but the movie also: potatoes. might i point out that potatoes are a new world plant? if middle earth is supposed to be a sort of pre-history europe, which i believe it to be, then they would NOT have potatoes!!! i'm sorry i always think of middle earth as that and it drives me absolutely crazy when there's potatoes. and worse, tomatoes. all new world.

thank you.
They mention that on the director's commentary, about how there was arguing about including that or something.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 04:36 PM   #43
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf
okay and here for something that's even annoying about the books but the movie also: potatoes. might i point out that potatoes are a new world plant? if middle earth is supposed to be a sort of pre-history europe, which i believe it to be, then they would NOT have potatoes!!! i'm sorry i always think of middle earth as that and it drives me absolutely crazy when there's potatoes. and worse, tomatoes. all new world.

Well, while we're being picky, the technology of middle earth is a wee bit too advanced to place it as far back as pre-historic europe. And there *is* that small matter of the rings of power.

Anyway, who's not to say that the potatoes didn't come from Numeanore or the Undying Lands?
Old 11-28-2002, 07:52 PM   #44
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Well, while we're being picky, the technology of middle earth is a wee bit too advanced to place it as far back as pre-historic europe. And there *is* that small matter of the rings of power.

Anyway, who's not to say that the potatoes didn't come from Numeanore or the Undying Lands?
yes, some of it is too advanced. i think someone was drinking coffee in the Hobbit

maybe the Undying Lands came back into the circles of the world and became North America

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 10:22 AM   #45
Elvellon
Elf Lord

The most annoying thing? The first scenes with Arwen (up to and including the ford). PJ fumbled them big. Enough said.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 05:59 PM   #46
AudrentheRanger
Enting

Location: Grey Havens, Middle Earth, in my own special place, a world unknown and magical, or perhaps of questing and flying like an Eagle with Gwaihir
romantic parts futuring...ta-da... Aragorn and Arwen. How disgustingly beautiful! Ewww.

The Wings of the Wind are swift indeed.

I am a bookworm.

"Fly you fools!" I'm no fool, but I would gladly fly!
AudrentheRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 07:02 PM   #47
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Yes, it's all magic - knowledge now lost, and hence as a result, a step back in our past development.
Also, let's not forget that (although Tolkien obviously implies it) the setup at the start of the fourth age is not necessarily directly related technologically to our day and age.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that if the Incas / Mayans (cant remember which, but South American) had not died out, we'd have reached the moon maybe a thousand years ago - they were way more advanced than anyone else at the time, but the silly sods somehow managed to die out.

So perhaps, not that advanced, or backward in a very specific, death-dealing kinda way
Old 12-01-2002, 09:08 AM   #48
Nunc
Hobbit

Quote:
*Aragorn hitting the pillow in Lothlorien. I still do not understand his motives.
Aragorn hits the pillow, because Gimli is already asleep and happens to snore loudly when Sam is reciting the excerpt from the poem he and Frodo composed in Lothlorien... "The finest fireworks ever seen" etc etc.

At least that's my understanding of it.

Those pillows are totally foul; like some banal design from a 4th rate 1950s guest house...
Nunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 11:10 AM   #49
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
I hate the stupid mushy scene in Rivendell w/ Aragorn & Arwen on that bridge. I mean, how stupid can it get? A love scene in Elvish with subtitles?
*laughs hysterically*

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 02:25 PM   #50
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurelyn
I hate the stupid mushy scene in Rivendell w/ Aragorn & Arwen on that bridge. I mean, how stupid can it get? A love scene in Elvish with subtitles?
*laughs hysterically*
You think that's bad? Try watching the film in another language wher ethey haven't bothered to remove the enlish subtitles.

Result?

Subtitles of subtitles of elvish.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:46 PM   #51
AudrentheRanger
Enting

Location: Grey Havens, Middle Earth, in my own special place, a world unknown and magical, or perhaps of questing and flying like an Eagle with Gwaihir
It really is disgusting. Mushy. Ewww.

The Wings of the Wind are swift indeed.

I am a bookworm.

"Fly you fools!" I'm no fool, but I would gladly fly!
AudrentheRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 06:04 PM   #52
starofelendil
Sapling

Gandalf

crap i agree with you! And how the freak does Gandalf get his staff back? Can someone answer that for me please!

And Arwen... How did she get so important all of a sudden....I never read in the books "if you want him come and claim him"! My word of corse they want him and of corse there are going to at least try to "come claim him"....

Has anyone care to notice the way Gimli says "stay close young hobbits" (in lothlorien)

THE CHICKEN DANCE!!!! I always have to rewind it.... it cracks me up!

In the Extended Edition ( i dont know if its in the reg, version ....ive never seen it) On the cast comentaries, on the very begining of the second movie Elijah Wood goes

BRBRBRBBR!!!!

HAHAHAHAHA! Also i rewound that 100x....gosh you gotta listen to it!

Yall just need to get over Tom Bombadil....hes a good book character...but it want Neccessary, i mean lets be reasonible people!
from their quiet fields,
to shake the towers and counsels of the Great.
Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it?"

Last edited by starofelendil : 12-02-2002 at 06:41 PM.
starofelendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 06:34 PM   #53
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Heh, not quite

Nothing hilighted Liv's efforts better than playing opposite Viggo.
She had problems learning the Elvish lines and had to take them a sentence at a time. Viggo asked PJ to put more elvish dialog in.
Was it because he loved the sound of it and is a classical, classy actor? Or was he simply poking fun at Liv's inadequacies?
Old 12-02-2002, 06:56 PM   #54
Big_G
Sapling

Does any one else find Aragorns "You cannot Weild it" speach in Rivendell one of the funniest things in the film? It really does sound like his voice hasn't broke yet......
Old 12-03-2002, 11:36 AM   #55
Elf.Freak
Orli's lil fan

Strider

my turn to complain again!

I saw the theatrical trailer for TTT and there's this bit where Arwen yabbers on to Elrond etc. why don't they speak in elvish? if Aragorn does to legolas at the council, why can't Elrond talk to Arwen in elvish?

*hates repeating self* Frustrating!
~
I've gotta new avatar! looks kinda like me...anime style!
~
LOST: Orlando Bloom. If found, please send him straight to Elf.Freak
Elf.Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 11:51 AM   #56
Agburanar
Elf Lord

In TTT trailer there are 'orcs' (and I use the word as broadly as possible) riding on lions, or at least cream-coloured wolves. Where the smeg are the great black Wargs?

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 12:53 PM   #57
Big_G
Sapling

I stasis for smuggling cats?
Old 12-03-2002, 06:14 PM   #58
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Welcome Big G! :P Lots of new people lately... okay 2.

I agree that all the previous scenes are dumb. Except, I didn't notice the benign Lothlorien pillows.

I actually don't have a lot of complaints about the movie, barring annoyances that will happen in any book to movie transformation. Apparently PJ wanted to make six movies origionally, and I would have preferred this greater depth.

If the Scouring of the Shire is truly removed, I'm gonna rage! But as this isn't 100% sure, no major complaints yet...

#1 Annoyance: I'm unhappy that each character was one-dimensional in the movie.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 06:41 PM   #59
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Apparently PJ wanted to make six movies origionally, and I would have preferred this greater depth.
Sadly you are wrong, or at least, he originally pitched for just ONE movie - it was New Line who said 'go make 3'. I'm sure he'd have preffered to have enough money to make it real-time set over months
Quote:
If the Scouring of the Shire is truly removed, I'm gonna rage! But as this isn't 100% sure, no major complaints yet...
As far as I'm aware, PJ himself has said the scouring is out. I thought this was an established fact?
Old 12-03-2002, 08:46 PM   #60
Entish
Sapling

Gandalf amazed nobody mentioned this

I was extremely dismayed to NOT see in the extended version of FOTR all of Galadriel's gifts to the fellowship upon their departure from Lothlorien, particularly that of Sam getting the mallorn seed and soil in the little box. he got some rope? Like Lothlorien was a hardware store....

And what about the Elftone... did I glimpse it on his cloak???? It was supposed to be the beginning of his trnsformation towards kingship and away from renegade ranger status.
Oh well... still love the movie and enjoy the magic of it all

Last edited by Entish : 12-03-2002 at 08:51 PM.
Entish is offline   Reply With Quote