Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-11-2004, 07:29 PM   #41
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Radagast
And what I think jerseydevil finds hard to swallow is that the Valiant U.S.A.'s Great Noble Stand Against The 'Evil Empire' is a hollow victory. And that is genuinely what I find sad about jersey, and this is not a flame, just a comment, that he does not concede anything. You hold on to your beliefs like a drowning man clutches a raft, something to guide you through the roaring waves and surf all around you. But, essentally, the raft is just a conveniently placed set of values. Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel...
That's funny coming from you. Being that you still clutch onto the vanished British Empire - no matter that it has been dead for over 50 years. But I will not - as I have stated - discuss this here.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 07:30 PM   #42
Radagast
Elven Warrior

EDIT: Maybe not. Goodnight boys and girls.
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 07:33 PM   #43
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
I am dealing with it, madam, and this is why I am raising the issue here, in the aptly titled thread. What better time to have a true evaluation of his life, but after his death?
Well, it does seem that you are itching for a political fight, (withdrawl symptoms due to the suspension perhaps.) Just a reminder: this thread will be closed if it goes beyond memorializing Reagan, whether you find it abominable, intolerable, or whatever.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 07:34 PM   #44
jerseydevil

Quote:
EDIT: Maybe not. Goodnight boys and girls.
[Edited due to radagast changing his post]

By your condescending tone and attitude - you obviously have no respect for Americans - unlike what you and many other Europeans blindly expect from us. I only give respect to people who deserve it - and you don't deserve my respect. You simply refuse to respect this thread or Americans.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-11-2004 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:24 PM   #45
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Let's not rush to carve Reagan's face on Mount Rushmore, agrees Godfrey Hodgson in The Independant. For Starters, the idea he won the Cold War single-handedly, is exaggerated. Though he stood firm, the wheels were already coming off the Soviet Union. His legacy, meanwhile, has in many respects been a negative one. After a decade and a half of gloom, Reagan's sunny confidence was a timely balm for the US. But the mood of euphoria that he created is responsible for the "lone superpower" arrogance in his spiritual heirs in George Bush II's administration.

What many cannot forgive is his insistence that any enemy of communism was a friend of his. This led him to embrace such murderous regimes as the exiled Khmer Rouge government, the Nicarguan "contra" rebels and the Afghan mujahideen. The Reagan years may have been when the Cold War was brought to a draw, but they were also when the dragons teeth of our present conflicts were sown.
Quote:
He and Margaret Thatcher led the western world out of its deep slump. A good man and a great President.
So did you like President Reagan or disliked him?
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 08:29 PM   #46
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Quote:
Sadly, Rian, due to the abominable and frankly intolerable gagging order on political threads I cannot start a new thread.

Let us not be drawn into a state of looking at the past through rose-tinted glasses. Was my post kind? No, nor was it unkind. I did not know the man.

As for Jerseydevil's flippant triumphalism in the downfall of the Soviet Union, of course it was brought to a draw. No one can claim victory, save a hollow one, over rank upon rank of a consistently brutalised people to whose lot it has fallen of the centuries to be ruled by despots, in that over-large and foolish nation. Are the people happier? Possibly. But let us make one thing clear, Jersey, Reagan was not responsible for the downfall of the Union. Economically it was simply not a viable venture. It was through the tireless work of British and American diplomats, infiltrators for decades- Regean was in the right place to claim credit.
I was under the impression that the U.S.S.R. collapsed because their economy was strongly founded on making weapons and selling them. Countries stopped buying from the U.S.S.R. because other countries were making better weapons, which put them out of business.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:03 PM   #47
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i was watching his funeraland i have never known much about him btu it seemed that he was a good president along with being a good and funny person, sad to see that two legends died in this week.
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 11:40 PM   #48
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

i know, i heard about ray charled this morning; that's also sad

we've been watching the funeral proceedings for the past two days and i've learned alot about him. i now realize why my parents admired him so much. i think it's so great that a president can go out with this kind of integrity and with all the honor that's going onto these ceremonies.

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 12:39 AM   #49
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I personally have no recollection of the Reagan administration, but I have found the pomp and circumstance of a state funeral fascinating. It's something we haven't seen in 31 years. I have also enjoyed hearing the remembrances of him. The musical selections at the funeral today were wonderful. I particularly enjoyed "The Mansions of the Lord" as they were taking the casket out of the cathedral. And I managed to keep my composure until I saw Nancy Reagan kiss the casket this morning and tonight when she broke down.

Didn't the tenor that sang "Amazing Grace" and "Ave Maria" at the cathedral (isn't his name something like Ronan Tyner?) sing "God Bless America" at the World Series after September 11? He looked familiar.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 02:29 AM   #50
jerseydevil

It was very sad when she said her final good-bye at the burial. That was very sad. The service was beautiful at the cathedral - as I said - I especially loved what Margaret Thatcher had to say about him.

I was thinking during the burial service - I have never heard "Hail to the Chief" played so many times in a single day.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-12-2004, 02:35 AM   #51
olsonm
Elf Lord

I watched a little of the funeral coverage. I felt the amount of coverage was appropriate considering the enormous outpouring of affection shown by the public in the wake of his death. I was a bit too young to become attached to him as a public figure myself but he clearly touched a chord in this country.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:17 PM   #52
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Too much recollections thru rose colored glasses for me! I remember Regan came in just as I was getting married, and it wasn't too long after that my husband lost his job at the national weather service. I was glad to see him and his jelly beans go. I always think it's sad when a past president (or anyone really ) dies, but I don't think Ronnie any more special than the others. Press overkill IMO, as is usual for this day and age. I think putting him on a coin or currency is wrong.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 07:33 PM   #53
jerseydevil

I personally think that the funeral for Reagan was appropriate. He made a lot of good changes for this country, brought self respect back to this country. Something that had been severely lacking since Kennedy. I think he was one of the best presidents in the 20th century and did far more positive things for the US and the world than Kennedy did.

Presidents don't have much control who companies and businesses hire and fire. The only thing he did was stand up to the air traffic countrollers unions and to other unions and I agree with that.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-12-2004, 07:59 PM   #54
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

I thought this thread wasnt for talking about the particular politics of the Reagan administration. Im pretty sure there have been a number of us here biting our tongues for the past week or so and at least one or two people have already been scolded for commenting negatively. doesnt it work both ways?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 08:07 PM   #55
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
I thought this thread wasnt for talking about the particular politics of the Reagan administration. Im pretty sure there have been a number of us here biting our tongues for the past week or so and at least one or two people have already been scolded for commenting negatively. doesnt it work both ways?
Yes it does - I was commenting on Lizra's comments thank you very much - just like I commented with Radagast. Most of MY statement was in regards to the appropriateness of his funeral and I just pointed out that NO president really has control over who gets fired or hired by business.

Oh - and you and the others can continue to bite your tongue in this thread.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-12-2004 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:18 PM   #56
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

How old were you when Regan was president JD?
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 09:47 PM   #57
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
How old were you when Regan was president JD?
What does that have to do with anything?

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-12-2004, 10:59 PM   #58
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Has anyone heard that Reagan supporters are tyring to get Reagan on one of the dollar bills. I think it is a stupid idea, he was a decent president but I don't think he deserves his face on our currency.

http://www.showmenews.com/2004/Jun/20040609News030.asp

Last edited by Ragnarok : 06-12-2004 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:06 PM   #59
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

JD! *stern motherly look* What did you mom teach you about how to speak to ladies older than yourself?!?! Yes, it was not the kindest thing to say on this thread, but you can still be a gentleman.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 11:08 PM   #60
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
I particularly enjoyed "The Mansions of the Lord" as they were taking the casket out of the cathedral.
OH, was THAT what that was? I've never heard it - but I commented to my husband that it was GORGEOUS!

I also liked the orchestration (or "band-acation?" because the band played it) of the little bit from Dvorak's New World Symphony, "Going Home", that they played as the family was going back to California.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote