Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-24-2005, 05:53 PM   #41
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

whilst i do not like rap at all, the main problem i have is with the followers of said rap that attack physically, verbally and mentally anyone they take a dislike to, which includes goths and rockers, gays and anyone that looks slightly different to the "norm", so that's me on 3 counts [/soapbox rant]
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:03 PM   #42
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I hate that kind of s**t. I am violently, viciously intolerant of those who attack people for being who they are. I'll straight out attack the attackers. You gotta actually hear the greats of gangsta rap to be able to have an informed opinion. I used to be a goth, years back; and also a punk which for the most part I'll always be a punk , I haven't stopped loving The Cure or the Sex Pistols or Nine Inch Nails just because now I also like Snoop, Eminem and 2Pac.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:23 PM   #43
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
Oh, no; here we go. How can I convince non-appreciators of "rap" that some of it is music?I'm tremendously choosy as to what rap I like and what I consider to be noxious garbage. It's a genre I grew into over the last few years - 2Pac, Biggie Smalls aka Notorious B.I.G., L'il Kim, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Dead Prez, Wu-Tang Clan, Too Short, Game - good. Jay-z, Puff Daddy aka P.Diddy, almost anything one hears on the radio these days, and Jay-Z -did I mention Jay-Z? - BAD.(as in, extremely not-good fakes, frauds and phonies.)
I don't know how to convince non-believers. Like I said, it's a musical genre I've grown into over the last ten years or so.
(I'm seriously hijacking Pytt's thread here... sorry)
Lotesse, I want you to know that I am trying to have an open mind & I'm trying to understand this, for the limited exposure this middle-aged white guy has of 'rap' is from his two teenagers and their friends. So please do me he favor of not just lumping me into this 'rap-hater musical snob' catagory you have. To convince me, you could start by telling me what makes 2Pac, Biggie Smalls aka Notorious B.I.G., L'il Kim, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Dead Prez, Wu-Tang Clan, Too Short, & Game 'good', and what makes Jay-z, Puff Daddy aka P.Diddy, almost anything one hears on the (rap) radio (stations) these days 'bad'. Tell me what the difference is, for I would like to know why you think what you do about these guys.

I am a classic rock guy who grew up on the music of the 60's and 70's, and I admit I have a rather narrow view when it comes to popular music, however, when disco came along I hated it, but I managed to find some songs and artists I liked. Same with the new wave bands of the late 70's and early 80's, the metal years, the grunge years, and I have found alot of good jazz and blues and even a few (can't believe I'm saying this) country songs and artists I like. But when it comes to rap... I can't seem to find much there.

Re: about my comment where I baited you on this... What 'music' I hear in rap is usually a drum machine track with a warbling sound made by a hand-moving a turntable or two, a vocal track of bad english with lots of profanith mumbled out, with maybe some samples of other peoples music thrown in. Take this said recording and put it in a modern auto sound system where the bass shakes every bolt loose in 20,000 miles whilst rattling the windows of my house and every other house within a mile.

This is my exposure to it and this is what I know. Please enlighten me to what I seem to be missing? What is it I should be hearing from these greats of gangster rap (I assume you mean Snoop, Eminem and 2Pac) that will give me a more informed opinion?
Old 05-24-2005, 10:03 PM   #44
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I don't know Snowdog. If we were to define what Music is, I'll tell you right now - rap is not "music", per se; it's something different. Not sure how to explain it but there it stands. Your kids are most likely just listening to the glut of pop garbage that passes for rap these days; true gangsta rap isn't something they can get away with airing on radio or MTV, and it isn't geared toward pleasing the teenage masses anyway, it's meant for a different segment of society - the segment that generally eschews big-money fraudulent "bling whatever" baloney. Now, what you're probably hearing in the way of rap is the stuff a-holes like P. Diddy and Jay-Z and 50 cent make obsence, disgusting money with, that is NOT art or "something to say", It's just an awful sellout that gives this whole musical or "voiced" genre a bad name.
I don't think you're a snob, BTW, where'd you get that? I realise it is nearly impossible for one to be able to express oneself about a thing one might not have a lot of experience about/exposure to. And I LOVE 70's classic rock, it's another one of my favourite musical genres.
Think about it- I gangbanged for quite a long time; gangsta rap went with the territory so I got much more exposure to true rap than would someone on the outside, know what I mean?

Old 05-25-2005, 04:42 AM   #45
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millane
**** yeah man. a nick cave fan i started a thread on NC over at PiL, but i didnt think id have much of a chance over here, but thats seriously awesome. Any fav Nick Cave song?
I'd say Are You The One I've Been Waiting For as my favorite, though Stagger Lee, Into My Arms and Where the Wild Roses Grow are high up there as well.

I'll have to agree with Snowdog on rap, though I have found a few artists I can tolerate (rapping in 'trøndersk' is, for example, great. )
Old 05-25-2005, 11:36 AM   #46
Snowdog

Quote:
I don't know Snowdog. If we were to define what Music is, I'll tell you right now - rap is not "music", per se; it's something different. Not sure how to explain it but there it stands. Your kids are most likely just listening to the glut of pop garbage that passes for rap these days; true gangsta rap isn't something they can get away with airing on radio or MTV, and it isn't geared toward pleasing the teenage masses anyway, it's meant for a different segment of society - the segment that generally eschews big-money fraudulent "bling whatever" baloney. Now, what you're probably hearing in the way of rap is the stuff a-holes like P. Diddy and Jay-Z and 50 cent make obsence, disgusting money with, that is NOT art or "something to say", It's just an awful sellout that gives this whole musical or "voiced" genre a bad name.
I don't think you're a snob, BTW, where'd you get that? I realise it is nearly impossible for one to be able to express oneself about a thing one might not have a lot of experience about/exposure to. And I LOVE 70's classic rock, it's another one of my favourite musical genres.
Think about it- I gangbanged for quite a long time; gangsta rap went with the territory so I got much more exposure to true rap than would someone on the outside, know what I mean?
I got that "musical snob" bit from another thread.

Thanks for the reply! Its the most articulate one I ever gotten from anyone who likes rap. I guess the raw rap I will never like, however, I did have an MP3 file on my computer of 'The Roots" song 'Concerto of a Desperado' which isn't bad. You probably wouldn't consider it true rap as its got a heavy progressive jass tilt.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:42 PM   #47
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

That's okay guys And please, feel free to discuss why that might be a good band, and what music is good.

I neither don't like rap very much. I think it is beacuse I haven't really heard on it. Only the things on radio and MTV and stuff. It seems to e to be alot of the usual gangstah stuff. Sex, drugs, violence, shooting someone. Or something. But I have found some rap artist that arent bad. but it isn't the genre for me. I am far more a rock person, even though I like ceartain metal bands, and rap( a little) and so on.

But raping in trøndersk is the best

And Nick Cave - Wild Roses (correct?) is a loveley song.

Last edited by Pytt : 05-25-2005 at 02:45 PM.
Pytt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 02:58 PM   #48
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

On topic:

Do you mean best singer/band, or band exclusively?

Great Big Sea
Beach Boys
*racks brain*... bands, bands, bands...
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 03:44 PM   #49
Pytt

Both works fine. I won't shoot you if your favourite artist is for example Bob Dylan

Agree with Beach Boys. Lovely tunes.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:46 PM   #50
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Bob Dylan is the BOMB!! Where would music be today without Dylan's influence?

Old 05-25-2005, 03:51 PM   #51
Pytt

Exectaly. I am not so fan of him myself, but my father is a huge fan. I was with him on a concert here in Trondheim, maybe 7 years ago now. Don't remember much beside I thought it was awesome. But Bob Dylan is great.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:21 PM   #52
Snowdog

Bob Dylan! Yeah! His song 'I'ts Allright Ma, I'm Only Bleeding' Is sort of a rap the way he sings it....

Disillusioned words like bullets bark
As human gods aim for their mark
Made everything from toy guns that spark
To flesh-colored Christs that glow in the dark
It's easy to see without looking too far
That not much
Is really sacred.

Lyrical genius, though he never could sing too well. So many other bands had Dylan-written hits (Jimi Hendrix, Byrds..)
Old 08-09-2005, 01:14 AM   #53
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

*bump* (best band ever)

There can't be a best band ever, but one that gets props from me today (literally today, not figuratively is:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Old 08-10-2005, 11:23 AM   #54
Snowdog

Quote:
*bump* (best band ever)

There can't be a best band ever, but one that gets props from me today (literally today, not figuratively is:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience
I just listened to my Hendrix Live at Woodstock Cds in the car today, and will continue it when I leave work. To think he played in thr early morn after the show was to have ended, and so many had left already. What a treat for those who remained!

I need to go see Jimi... its been awhile...
Old 08-28-2005, 03:13 PM   #55
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

I'm gonna have to vote for Switchfoot...either them or Relient K.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:31 AM   #56
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion
I'm gonna have to vote for Switchfoot...either them or Relient K.
switchfoot is awesome, relient k is good if i'm in the mood

sanctus real should get runner up to switchfoot
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 03:06 PM   #57
Uinor
Sapling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl96
Led Zeppelin is the greatest band of all time, and anybody who denies that is crazy.

Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Beach Boys, etc, are all awsome too, but Zep is a step above them all IMO.

I assure you I am according to you quite mad.......The quality of the lyrics of The Moody Blues places them #1 on my chart.
Uinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:31 AM   #58
DieZel
Sapling

I'll say Bob Marley and The Wailers. Awesome music When I listen to any of their songs I can relax completely and just lose myself in the music.
DieZel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:32 AM   #59
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
I like Green day, Oasis, The Killers and Queen.
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
strider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:07 PM   #60
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieZel
I'll say Bob Marley and The Wailers. Awesome music When I listen to any of their songs I can relax completely and just lose myself in the music.
can't argue with that!