Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-13-2002, 10:44 AM   #41
GRONK!!!
Hobbit

Umm... what does this word "I" that everyones using mean? GRONK can barely understand some of these arguments by people talking in jibberish.

Ok... GRONK will reattempt to read Silmarillion. Should be fun to see if GRONKs affected by the book the way most of you are saying he will be. He hasen't read much yet though. Is this fictional theology going to be a big part of the entire book? This sort of thing always bothered GRONK a bit.

But whats all this talk about Unfinished Tales and letters? GRONK never heard of either of these. This is how he thought Tolkien's literary career went.

Tolkien writes The Hobbit
Tolkien writes LoTR
Tolkien writes and rewrites Silmarillion but never publishes it.
Tolkien dies
Tolkien's son publishes Silmarillion.

He wrote more on middle earth?
GRONK!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 10:58 AM   #42
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by GRONK!!!

But whats all this talk about Unfinished Tales and letters?

Tolkien writes The Hobbit
Tolkien writes LoTR
Tolkien writes and rewrites Silmarillion but never publishes it.
Tolkien dies
Tolkien's son publishes Silmarillion.

He wrote more on middle earth?
Indeed he did. Of course it was all published posthumously. I listed all of it earlier. Unfinished Tales was published after the Silmarillion. Then we have the Histories of Middle-earth Series. this consists of twelve more volumes, and all are about different ages of Middle-earth. Tolkien's son Christopher put everything together with manuscripts and notes left by his father.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 05:05 PM   #43
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Tolkien's beliefs shine through a bit more-but not too much in his writings on the elder days. All of its great-but not all of it is actaully finished work. It's like reading someone's drafts.
Old 10-13-2002, 05:43 PM   #44
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

RÃ*an hopes other 'mooters will correct her if she's wrong, but as far as the order of the books goes (your list), RÃ*an believes that the stuff in the Sil was in place (although not in a finished form) way before the Hobbit and LoTR were ever written or even though of. However, the part of RÃ*an's brain that keeps track of dates and times is often sadly mixed up, even though she is very good with numbers in other contexts (computer science major, math minor in college).

And RÃ*an believes what you mean by the "fictional theology" part is not a big part of the Sil, it's just mostly right at the beginning, although it will occasionally pop in for a visit later on in the book.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 08:16 PM   #45
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

GRONK, he actually published much more than that in his lifetime. The two books he published in life having to do with his legendarium that you didn't list are The Adventures of Tom Bombadil and The Road Goes Ever On (with Donald Swann).
Old 10-13-2002, 09:43 PM   #46
GRONK!!!
Hobbit

Lol Tolkien actually published an entire book on Tom Bombadil? GRONK thought that was the part of Fellowship that was generally agreed upon as being completely screwed up. Hence why both the cartoon and recent Fellowship movies skipped that part.
Old 10-13-2002, 11:21 PM   #47
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I saw Bo,badil as an excellent way to impart depth-I suppose one doesn't have to love middle earth to love LOTR.
Old 10-19-2002, 05:20 AM   #48
the real findorfin
Sapling

Sil is cool!

Personally I found the Silmarillion great. However, I have never read the book but have listened to the audio tapes, read by Martin shaw, which were amazing. Perhaps GRONK will find that better.

But I liked the Sil. because of all the names and places and histroical stuff, i'm sad like that!

Whats Tom Bom's book about, how to smoke dope a lot? lol
the real findorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 12:27 PM   #49
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

!

LOL! I did find bombadil a little... woah there, what pondweeds does that guy put in his pipe?
The secret is unfolded... what Tom was REALLY looking for when he came across goldberry

-~*Reilyn*~-
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 02:00 PM   #50
Linarryl
Elven Warrior

I just skipped all the way to the chapter Beren and Luthien. I read that chapter and thought is was cool!
Linarryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2002, 02:58 PM   #51
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

Quote:
Lol Tolkien actually published an entire book on Tom Bombadil?
Falagar thinks that it wasn't an entire book on Tom Bombadil, just a collection of Hobbit rhymes and poems...
Old 10-20-2002, 07:31 PM   #52
GRONK!!!
Hobbit

Audio tapes by Martin Shaw? Yaaaay! Martin Shaw is cool . Too bad GRONK would feel kinda dumb buying audio tapes now that hes bought Silmarillion. GRONK is taking Silmarillion very slowly, and hes only on second chapter. Umm.. but hes beginning to wish now that GRONK knew which names he has to remember and which he could happily forget. Maybe that other thread on how to remember bits from Silmarillion will help.... GRONK will go check that out.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:56 PM   #53
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

The family trees=read every five seconds.
Old 11-09-2002, 12:27 AM   #54
GRONK!!!
Hobbit

Ah! This is even harder then GRONK thought it would be. GRONK read up to page 18 then put it down for two weeks. Time to try again...
Old 12-08-2002, 06:52 PM   #55
TigerWong
Sapling

I'm getting in kinda late on this thread. By now, GRONK has either finished the Silmarillion or died from boredom.

I read the Silmarillion first, before the Hobbit or LoTR. I didn't know much about ME back then. Just figured I'd start from the beginning. I'm a huge fan of mythology so all those names and geneological information didn't bother me. But that might not be the same for everyone.

I can see how GRONK might get bored by all that information. GRONK wants to read a cool fantasy story, not a history book.

All I can say is it gets "better" (at least in the sense that it'll read more like a typical story). Especially when "Beren and Luthien" rolls around. But I wouldn't skip the earlier parts either, as it'll give you a appreciation of when the Valar comes back to help kick some serious a$$!

Don't stress over remembering all the names too much. The important ones will re-crop and eventually it'll all become more familiar.

It will still not feel quite the same as LoTR, you have to approach it differently. After all, you're reading about things that takes place over thousands of years.

But I think the Silmarillion was one of the most stirring and epic novels I've read!

I didn't finish the Hobbit and thought that was kinda boring because it read more like a children's book and not nearly as epic as the Sil.

LoTR Trilogy was a bit better, but I think the reason I liked it was because I read the Sil first. I definitely appreciated it more...knowing Galadriel's and Elrond's background, knowing exactly who people like Gandalf and Sauron were, etc.

And getting a good chuckle at how someone like Sauron was able to hold ME in his grasp and strike fear in the hearts of everyone. If you read the Sil, you'll know what I mean. Kinda puts things in perspective.
TigerWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 07:16 PM   #56
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

It took me a year to read the Silm. I kept picking it up, and putting it down for a few months. When I picked it up again, I ALWAYS started over. I could never, ever find enough in this book to keep me captivated. Until, of course, I read chapters such as "Of Turin Turambar" and "Of Beren and Luthien." After those, I was hooked, and ending up finishing the book in about two weeks.
The Silmarillion really ISN'T for entertainment. But trust me, keep reading. It IS entertaining later on.Just don't give up...even if it DOES take a year!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)

Last edited by Renille : 12-08-2002 at 07:18 PM.
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 02:11 AM   #57
Dar-Tarion2112
Sapling

I've read Sil twice and I still haven't digested it all, but still loved the book. I borrowed it from a friend & read it while I was sick. The first few chapters are fairly information heavy, but there are some really beautiful stories, and after you read that and then read Rings again, you'll appreciate both books even more.
Dar-Tarion2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 10:58 AM   #58
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

I foudn the Sil hard to put down. But then I have read things like the Bible, Apochrypha, Marcus Aurelius, and the 1960s World Book Encyclopedea cover to cover.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 07:13 PM   #59
GRONK!!!
Hobbit

GRONK hopes your kidding about the encyclopedia. GRONK picked that up for light reading but finally gave up when he reached Australia.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:54 PM   #60
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by GRONK!!!
GRONK hopes your kidding about the encyclopedia. GRONK picked that up for light reading but finally gave up when he reached Australia.
GRONK!!!, You are so funny. A real bright spot with your third person address. I love it.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote