Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-26-2002, 07:00 PM   #41
nami-chan
Sapling

God forbid anyone from making a Silmarillion movie. That book touched me so deeply that I don't think I could stand seeing a movie of it. Some things should just be left alone.
nami-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 04:48 AM   #42
elendili
Elven Warrior

D-Sen agrees I don't

The Silmarillion movie would be really interesting it would be like the introduction to the LotR you would be able to have the entire history of ME on DVD, think lof the possibilities

"Courage my soul, now learn to wield
The weight of thine immortal shield
Place on thy head thy helmet bright
Ballance thy sword against the fight
See where an army strong as fair
With silken banners spreads the air
Now if thy bee'st that thing divine
In this days combat let it shine:
And shew that nature wants an art
To conqeur one resolved heart"
Andrew Marvell
elendili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 07:18 PM   #43
entss89
lord of the ents

Gollum WOW!

WOW DO YOU KNOW HOW LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG THAT WOULD TAKE?
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 08:17 PM   #44
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Geez. What's with the bleeping caps lock
!??

Quote:
God forbid anyone from making a Silmarillion movie. That book touched me so deeply that I don't think I could stand seeing a movie of it. Some things should just be left alone.
What he said.

I think I would seriously go loco if PJ touched it. Honestly. Can you imagine? It'd be fulled with crappy hollywood battles, and one particular heroic character would take over all the fighting scenes.
Old 08-21-2002, 03:47 AM   #45
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

What he said.

I think I would seriously go loco if PJ touched it. Honestly. Can you imagine? It'd be fulled with crappy hollywood battles, and one particular heroic character would take over all the fighting scenes.
I would die. Actually, I would probably just not see it. And write letters complaining. And all that. I mean, waste of a decent life to die over it, but still. . .

I really like the Lord of the Rings movies (mostly) but there's a lot of it I don't like, and I think I would go crazy if PJ were doing part of the Sil.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 03:13 PM   #46
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Oh my goodness! I agree with you guys - BoP and EG! I love the book so much, and yes, I think it would be awful if anyone attempted to put parts of it into a movie!

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 02:56 AM   #47
Beruthiel
Hobbit

Arwen Undomiel

AUUUGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I'm so taken by some of the artwork out there of the Sil, imagine what a freak I'd turn into if they made a movie?! I'd be a raging lunatic! (Prolly have to see it a million times and own it, but then, would they mangle it? YEP.)

Beruthiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 10:31 AM   #48
Oivalar
Sapling

For one who has read LOTR several times. I am just getting into the Silmarillion. Actually, I believe that I could possibly be done as a series but there would be no mini prefix to it. However I believe that someone mentioned that they could pull a tale or two from the book. Beren and Lúthien (IMHO) would be one of the best ones to do.
Oivalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 04:36 PM   #49
DraztiK
Enting

Strider

Quote:
But no one has the license to make movies based on the Silmarillion. The Tolkien Estate holds that license.
Actually New Line Cimema bought the filming rights to The Hobbit and The Silmarillion together with those to LOTR.

Our Armies in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales
Our Brothers in Belgium, Holland and France will not fail.
Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Italy,
Switzerland, Austria, back to the Glory of Germany!
~Manowar - Blood of the Kings~
DraztiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 05:14 PM   #50
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by DraztiK
Actually New Line Cimema bought the filming rights to The Hobbit and The Silmarillion together with those to LOTR.
I don't think they did...as I recall they were strictly forbidden to use any information from any books other than LotR and the Hobbit. So definitely not the Sil.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 09-07-2002, 08:53 AM   #51
UnStashable
Enting

Well In the Movie Sarumen eluded to something (orogin of orcs)from the Sil so they may not have the rights to makes the Silm movie, but they could use information from the Silm.
Old 09-08-2002, 04:13 AM   #52
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by UnStashable
Well In the Movie Sarumen eluded to something (orogin of orcs)from the Sil so they may not have the rights to makes the Silm movie, but they could use information from the Silm.
I think there's something in LotR about orcs' origins. Anyone here know the answer...? 'Cause I have the feeling the movie would have been quite different had they used info from the Sil. Balrogs, for example

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 09-08-2002, 04:50 AM   #53
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf
I don't think they did...as I recall they were strictly forbidden to use any information from any books other than LotR and the Hobbit. So definitely not the Sil.
Yes, I recall reading this as well. As far as I am aware, Tolkien estate still holds the rights to the Sil.... which is why some of the appearances of the characters is not accurate in the movie.

Regarding the origin of orks... well, they certainly didn't come out of pods in the ground. It's pretty safe to say that that was a PJ innovation, not Sil inspired! And yes, there is something in the book... Treebeard mentions the perversion of elves doesn't he?

Last edited by BeardofPants : 09-08-2002 at 04:52 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 05:53 AM   #54
Elvellon
Elf Lord

Tolkien speculated about that a lot. Elves, Men, soulless creations without a will of their own, animated by Morgoths malice; in the end I think he never found an answer that he considered satisfactory.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 05:47 PM   #55
Rhûnboy
Sapling

Location: Flint, Michigan, or Chicago, Illinois, depending on when you ask...
Devil's Advocate

Maybe as a Newbie, I shouldn't risk the wrath of those who know better, but I'd be really excited by a movie about all or part of the Silmarillion.

I will say I liked the first LotR movie, a lot. At the same time I have 2 or 3 dozen objections, but ultimately when I come to something like that, I can take it or leave it. I won't affect the book for me. It's just another way to sense or experience a book that I love.

Especially given the nature of narration in the Sil, I think there would be great potential to demonstrate (or really botch) characters that are really thinly sketched in this book. And don't read this as a criticism of Tokien... it's not. It's a different medium. An actor has a whole physical presence that can give expression... so I would like to see, for example, the look on Luthien's face when she first confronts Beren in Neldoreth, or Morgoth's expression when his foot's all hacked up. Hell, I'd be interested in seeing Morgoth, period.

I can't say that the LotR movie's Warrior Sauron matched what I saw in my mind's eye, but it was still neat to see.

And I think a big part of my point-of-view on this is that the movie at no point becomes a substitute for the read.

Anyway, just my 2 cents!

~ Connor
Rhûnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 09:34 AM   #56
Maren
Hobbit

I read that Peter Jackson actually has the rights to make the Silmarillion into a movie too. Since it is such an epic scale, I doubt he will, at least not in the near future. But he does have the rights, and he said it might be made into a movie someday, so that's encouraging. I'd just be afraid (even more than for the LotR) that he'd get it wrong, but I guess I have more faith in him now that I've seen the Fellowship.

Namarie,
Maren

Van?!?!?! Red, right?
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 11:24 AM   #57
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Welcome to Entmoot Maren.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 01:24 PM   #58
LadyMelia
Sapling

Location: The house of the Lady Galadriel- Lothlorien, Middle Earth
I'm pretty sure PJ won't take on the task of creating the Silmarillion movie, although they already own the rights to it and also the Hobbit. I heard him say that the LotR movies were the biggest project he has and ever will take on, and I think that converting the Silmarillion into a movie would be a even more daunting task that LotR was. Maybe someone else will eventually buy the rights though, but I don't think it will be for a while. I personally am hesitant to believe that anyone can do it well, though it would be interesting to find out, wouldn't it?

Well, anyway. If they do, I want to be an elf extra this time!
LadyMelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 02:26 PM   #59
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Welcome to you also LadyMelia.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 04:00 PM   #60
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

I think I'll do it. A production of the tale of Beren and Luthien with an all "little people" cast and Shaquille O'Neal as Morgoth. The voices would be like the munchkins in "The Wizard of Oz". (j\k)

I'm reading the Lost Tales and there are parts of the earlier versions that would work better in a movie. I wonder if the stories of the Sil could be done in a mini-series format so that each story was just an hour. I don't think it requires the massive CG to pull it off if the dialog and story lines are handled properly.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote