Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-04-2003, 02:06 PM   #41
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Samwise, I totally agree, you've hit the nail on the head as usual.
However, clearly perceptions differ depending on a multitude of factors.
I don't think M Faramir can be described as loathsome and greedy when he let them go in the end -- I wonder if I'd have the courage to do that in the same circumstances.

Perhaps this discussion should be continued when more information is available -- the EE of TT and RotK.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 06:57 AM   #42
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

I loved the movies. I am grateful, but I have to critizise. Some things were just stupid.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:51 AM   #43
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Yes I love the movies too! Flaws and all!
Did Ruinel say something??
Somehow m Faramir will magically change from an irritating d*ick to a over burdened, under appreciated, good guy! (Please! )
Old 07-05-2003, 09:57 AM   #44
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
'Cuz... ... uh... the books suck. oops. did I say that? *looks sheepish*

Really! I've never read them (too busy) but your opinion seems to be in the minority! My goodness, all I heard for the past couple years is "Harry Potter this, and Harry Potter that" Is there a thread on Entmoot where the book *sucking * is discussed? Seems like most of the Potter threads are fairly positive!
Old 07-05-2003, 12:20 PM   #45
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Yes I love the movies too! Flaws and all!
Did Ruinel say something??
Somehow m Faramir will magically change from an irritating d*ick to a over burdened, under appreciated, good guy! (Please! )
I hope he does. I want to see the kiss between him and Eowyn.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:29 PM   #46
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Oh ho! To do that right (max thrills) IMO, there should be a long, slow build up....the falling in love stage, very pure, gradually becoming very deep, then an explosion of pent up emotion, followed by a knee buckling, melty release of seething romantic tensions! Tasty!
Old 07-05-2003, 06:12 PM   #47
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
Gandalf

Quote:
Oh ho! To do that right (max thrills) IMO, there should be a long, slow build up....the falling in love stage, very pure, gradually becoming very deep, then an explosion of pent up emotion, followed by a knee buckling, melty release of seething romantic tensions! Tasty!
Steady.....steady!
LutraMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 07:22 PM   #48
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Oh ho! there should be a long, slow build up....the falling in love stage, very pure, gradually becoming very deep, then an explosion of pent up emotion, followed by a knee buckling, melty release of seething romantic tensions! Tasty!
You say you're not a writer of romance fiction?
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 07:43 PM   #49
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I'd like to be an actress of romantic fiction! Mmmmm!
Old 07-05-2003, 07:49 PM   #50
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
...but your opinion seems to be in the minority! My goodness, all I heard for the past couple years is "Harry Potter this, and Harry Potter that" Is there a thread on Entmoot where the book *sucking * is discussed? Seems like most of the Potter threads are fairly positive!
yes.. you are right. my opinion is in the minority. I just really couldn't get into the book. I think it was because the main characters are kids.

Quote:
I'd like to be an actress of romantic fiction! Mmmmm!
I'm right there with ya, sister.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 11:34 AM   #51
MasterMothra
Elven Warrior

ok samwise of wherever it is your from(who cares).

"He didn't say that you CAN'T complain mothra...he was just saying that those that don't STOP complaining should choke on a rock! He said sorry...give him a break. "

i can tell from hectors posts that he is a very intelligent person(sarcasm off). as far as giving him a break is concerned, that is for me to decide and not you. i believe that anyone that makes such ridiculous remarks deserves the taunting they receive.

"Alright this is ripe. If the movie was THAT bad...Then WHY in Middle Earth do you keep on going BACK to see the new installments???!!!!! I mean there is NO logic behind that!!! You wouldn't return to a bad resturant, then WHY return to a "bad" movie."
ARRRGGGH,
Cheers,
Sam.

here again, your intelligence shines through. exactly where in my previous post did i say that i did not like the movies? or did you assume this to be true? first piece of advice, sam; dont ever assume anything. i enjoyed the movies very much, i have seen them many times, and i will continue to criticize jackson because i do not think he did tolkien's work justice. the changes that pj made in the first movie were subtle enough that the movie did not stray from the plot, more time related than anything. the second movie was not that fortunate. it was a good movie, but a pitiful attempt at an adaptation, tribute, or whatever you want to label it. i look forward to seeing what pj does with the third film. hopefully he will redeem himself and make a picture that is true enough to tolkien to get that best pic oscar. if it continues to stray from the path like its predicessor, then i would have hoped that pj never would have made the movies rather than see it turned into a mockery of tolkien.

Last edited by MasterMothra : 07-07-2003 at 11:36 AM.
MasterMothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 01:01 PM   #52
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

Re: we must be graterful for peter jackson

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
that idiot who did harry potter and sorcerers idiot? he cant even adapt a novel meant for kids! ( personally i hate harry idiot, and i'd flush his wand down the toilet if i could, as for j.k spalding(rowling, i know) she should be guloutined and her head put on a post( kind of like in braveheart)-hectorberlioz
Ever hear of the Millennium Rod? It controls minds, sends people to eternity in the Shadow Realm, turns into a KNIFE???
Bishounen...get over here!

For someone who's educated in LOTR, you certainly don't sound like it. The movies are bad, but my love for LOTR makes me go to them. This is CIVILIZED BOARD, not Yu-Gi-Oh Dungeon or whatever. If you want to bash something, take it to someone who'll reply "w00t i agr33 with u m4/\/".

Sorry I sound so harsh, but I despise people like this.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:58 PM   #53
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
I hope he does. I want to see the kiss between him and Eowyn.
*bitter* Believe me, you will.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 05:16 PM   #54
FoolofaTook
Elven Warrior

I enjoyed the movies. I thought they were great. FotR was very well done. It left out some things and changed some things, but generally it stayed fairly close to the book. TTT was kind of a mess....but it was still really good, aside from the obvious(Faramir). I think everyone should appreciate what PJ is trying to do. He's trying to make the most widely read books into movies, which is a pretty hard task. If any of us tried to do it, we'd be just as criticized if not more...probably more.
FoolofaTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 07:55 PM   #55
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by FoolofaTook
I enjoyed the movies. I thought they were great. FotR was very well done. It left out some things and changed some things, but generally it stayed fairly close to the book. TTT was kind of a mess....but it was still really good, aside from the obvious(Faramir). I think everyone should appreciate what PJ is trying to do. He's trying to make the most widely read books into movies, which is a pretty hard task. If any of us tried to do it, we'd be just as criticized if not more...probably more.
Maybe yes, maybe no. If the goal of PJ&Co. was to bring a good translation of the books with a minimum loss of content/feel of Middle Earth, then he falls short of the mark. If the goal of PJ&Co. was to bring a good film based loosely on JRRT LOTR then PJ&Co has done a very good job (in general).

I think that PJ&Co. could have stayed closer to the book with a minimum of additions (if any) and still produced a very good film within the 3 hour time frame.

So far I have listed upto Bree one possible way of how things could have been done differently in another thread. Eventually I will get around to the rest of FOTR & TTT.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 02:11 PM   #56
FoolofaTook
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by mithrand1r
Maybe yes, maybe no. If the goal of PJ&Co. was to bring a good translation of the books with a minimum loss of content/feel of Middle Earth, then he falls short of the mark. If the goal of PJ&Co. was to bring a good film based loosely on JRRT LOTR then PJ&Co has done a very good job (in general).
He was trying to reach a medium between those two. He wanted to remain as faithful as possible to the book, while at the same time make a movie that can be enjoyed by anybody, regardless if they read the book or not. And make lots of money.
FoolofaTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 02:35 PM   #57
olsonm
Elf Lord

Since TTT had a lot less going on (in terms of exposition, plot, and introduction) its changes were far more noticable over the course of the three hours. However, the major changes in TTT have their clear origins in FOTR and flow quite naturally from them.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:09 PM   #58
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I was just thinking, if the studio had given him five hours for each movie, would pj have stayed closer to the book?.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 07-21-2003 at 05:27 PM.
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 06:49 PM   #59
olsonm
Elf Lord

Of course a longer movie would allow for a fuller adaption, but PJ wouldn't have made one five hour movie; let alone three.

Last edited by olsonm : 07-21-2003 at 06:50 PM.
olsonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 07:37 PM   #60
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

IT is only speculation. Therefore anything is possible.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote