Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-17-2005, 03:48 PM   #41
Lenya
Elentári

Diffinately mortal. I'm assuming of course that I get an unnatury long life, being half-elven and all. But even if I don't, mortality beats being forced to stay here eternaly. I really don't see the fun in an imortal life.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 03:15 AM   #42
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
Quote:
Originally Posted by azalea
This belongs in the ME forum, so it has been moved. Also, this has been discussed before, so if you wish to see more opinions on the subject, try a seach. Finally, please remember that posting three times in a row can be considered spamming. Try to be patient when awaiting replies. Thanks.
Sorry about that it was just this was my first thread.
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
strider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:43 AM   #43
Lenya
Elentári

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider8
Sorry about that it was just this was my first thread.
Oh, cool. I can't remember where I posted first.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:19 PM   #44
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

I would choose immortallity. I dont exactly know why.

My first post was in the rpg forum

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 04:15 AM   #45
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia
My first post was in the rpg forum
I have never posted in the rpg.
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
Old 08-15-2005, 10:12 AM   #46
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Stay on topic folks.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 01:05 PM   #47
strider8
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
Stay on topic folks.
sorry (I want to keep my thread open)

Old 08-15-2005, 01:11 PM   #48
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
sorry (I want to keep my thread open)
No worries to close the thread. It's a good topic, one of my favorites. We were just a tad off topic and I wanted to get us back on track.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 04:01 PM   #49
Acalewia

Sry i joined the off topic covo.

this is a great topic though

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Old 08-22-2005, 12:59 PM   #50
strider8
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia
this is a great topic though
Thanks

Old 08-24-2005, 02:32 PM   #51
Smeagol_fan
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenya
Diffinately mortal. I'm assuming of course that I get an unnatury long life, being half-elven and all. But even if I don't, mortality beats being forced to stay here eternaly. I really don't see the fun in an imortal life.
That's true. If you were immortal and decided that you were tired of living forever, I'm sure you could commit suicide (strange thought, but it might not be so strange if you were immortal. Who knows?). I'd chose immortality. That way I could technically choose when I wanted to die. And, besides that, it would be cool to just see how the world, technology, etc. evolves over time more elaborately than one would be able to with a normal life span.

No one expects...oh, bugger.
~ Monty Python's The Spanish Inquisition

-What is taters, precious?
-Po-ta-toes
~ LotR, Two Towers (the movie)

Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow;
Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow.

~Tom Bombadil, LotR, The Fellowship (the book)

"-Do you remember your mother?
-You mean Natalie Portman?"
~The One-Man Star Wars Trilogy
Smeagol_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 07:06 PM   #52
Acalewia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeagol_fan
That's true. If you were immortal and decided that you were tired of living forever, I'm sure you could commit suicide (strange thought, but it might not be so strange if you were immortal. Who knows?). I'd chose immortality. That way I could technically choose when I wanted to die. And, besides that, it would be cool to just see how the world, technology, etc. evolves over time more elaborately than one would be able to with a normal life span.

I agree with you
The down side, though, is people would notice that you don't age. You would end up, like in Highlander and My Soul To Keep, faking your death every few years.
The up side is you wouldn't age from the time you chose immortality

Old 09-06-2005, 08:22 PM   #53
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

I'd say mortal...it makes you really treasure every day...who knows if it's your last?
(a bit cliched, I know )
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 05:00 PM   #54
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Treebeard

Yes, I would choose mortality. I always felt sorry for Galadriel, having to just sit around and watch the centuries go by, a wise and powerful observer but never really being part of things.

You know, I always wonder why Elros chose as he did. Here's a little speculation. We know of only a handful of cross-racial marriages, and all of those seem to have the woman marrying "down"-- that is, from a more powerful/knowledgeable race to a lesser (Luthien/Beren, Idril/Tuor, Melian/Thingol, Arwen/Aragorn). The only one I know of where the man married "down" was Elros. He was half elven, and married a human woman. I don't know who she was (do any of you? I haven't read all the obscure stuff like HOME), but I wonder if he might have known her before he made his choice, and therefore his choice might have been influenced by love.

I guess it's the bit of feminist in me that wants to have the man give up his immortality for a woman, instead of the other way around!

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 05:30 PM   #55
Rconsole
Elven Warrior

I don't remember Elros marrying anyone...but i could be wrong Anyway i would choose to be immortal i think i would enjoy being alive for that long getting to know everyone and everything and even if i did end up like Galadriel if i really did not want to be alive i could go on some quest that would most likely get me killed, but then again that's how i imagine it living it would probably different.
Rconsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:34 PM   #56
Este of Lorien
Sapling

I'd choose to be immortal, because there are so many things to learn, places to see, books to read , that a life-time is not enough.
Este of Lorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 10:00 PM   #57
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Elros had kids. All the kings of Numenor were descended from him, and so was Elendil. He must have gotten married at some point. I just don't know how soon after he chose mortality.

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 02:32 PM   #58
Caraedry_Ellessar
Sapling

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
No. Earendil, had the choice, as did Elrond, Elros, Elladan, Elrohir and Arwen. I wonder why Elros's children didn't get the choice when Elrond's did.
Because Elrond's Children were sired by Elves while Elros' children were sired by Mortals ( how do we even know Elros' had children?)
Caraedry_Ellessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:42 AM   #59
strider8
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caraedry_Ellessar
Because Elrond's Children were sired by Elves while Elros' children were sired by Mortals ( how do we even know Elros' had children?)
Because Aragorn was a descendant of Elros

Old 10-30-2005, 09:29 PM   #60
Acalewia

Quote:
Because Aragorn was a descendant of Elros
All of the kings of Numenor were desended from Elros. Hmmm would that make Elrond Aragorn's distint uncle?