FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-11-2000, 01:07 AM   #41
juntel

Clinton's Final Days

No need to rent it.
Old 10-13-2000, 12:15 AM   #42
Elanor

Re: .

Some of my favorite movies to watch, that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

Twelfth Night (last summer my family was watching it every available chance we had--it's so good, and you can find new things every time you watch it)
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Mary Poppins
Ever After
Chicken Run (This is the coolest movie! lol)
Anastasia (animated)
The Truman Show
Dragonheart
The Fugitive
The Shakiest Gun in the West (This is hilarious! quote: "I'm gonna spread dental health through the West like a plague!"-Don Knotts)
Independence Day
To Live

Most of these are movies I've watched with my family--that's the best way to do it!
Old 11-17-2003, 11:56 AM   #43
Snowdog
DĂșnedain Ranger of the North

Some Claqqssic movies to rent

ere are some good movies that may be somewhat obscure. Most are now out on DVD. Give them a watch!

Easy Rider (1969)

Starring Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper, and directed by Dennis Hopper.

A landmark in film history, EASY RIDER blew the studio doors open for more young directors than any film before or since, helping to create the wide-open climate that would lead to the production of many outstanding films in the 1970s. As its director, Dennis Hopper is usually given the lion's share of credit for the film's success, but the revelations of time suggest that the contributions of the late Terry Southern and, to some degree, Jack Nicholson have endowed the film with much of its residual power. Starring Peter Fonda as Wyatt (alias Captain America) and Hopper as Billy, it traces the hippie duo's adventures as they mount their seriously chopped hogs on a journey to find the real America en route to Mardi Gras. In Arizona, they visit a commune whose members seem to be having a tough time, and in a small Texas town they're jailed for joining a parade. But they're quickly sprung by an ACLU lawyer, the quirky, hard-drinking George Hanson (Jack Nicholson), who accepts their offer to join them on the trip to New Orleans, eager to visit the best whorehouse in the South. Although parts of the film now seem dated and some of the language seems quaint, the tensions and hostilities of the period are accurately reflected, Laszlo Kovacs's photography is superb, and Nicholson is exceptional in his breakthrough role.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

The Big Sleep (1945)

Starring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.

This one I love of the classic Bogart/Bacall films with To Have or Have Not a close second (see next entry). Phillip Marlowe, the Raymond Chandler private dick character, takes a job with an elderly riche man to investigate the disappearance of one of his trusted men. It leads him into a tangled web involving his two daughters, Mrs Rutledge (played by Bacall) who is the wise one, and the younger slut daughter (played by Dorothy Malone). A very good movie in my opinion.

To Have or Have Not (1945)

Starring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.

A jaded American fisherman risks his life to help a group of French freedom fighters and a sultry young woman with whom he falls in love. Set in Vichy-controlled Martinique during the Second World War. One of the more memorable lines between these two lovebirds is when Bacall says as she leaves the room... "If you want me, just whistle. You you know how to whistle don't you? You just put your lips together and blow." Also worthy of mention is Walter Brennen as Eddie, the slow but trusted shipmate who loves his drink.

Seven Days in May (1964)

Though a bit dated in its portrayal of Cold War paranoia, the 'big three' television networks, and the morality of an affair, it is a great movie with Burt Lancaster as General James Scott, who has a plan to become president of the United States, and Kirk Douglas as Col. Martin "Jiggs" Casey who figures out things are not as they seem. Ever wonder about a military takeover of the government of the United States? Or why the President of the United States is a civilian and is the Commander in Chief of the armed Fforces? This movie shows why it is so.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:01 PM   #44
Snowdog

The Manchurian Candidate (1962)

Starring Frank Sinatra & Angela Lansbury

John Frankenheimer's brilliant adaptation of Richard Condon's cold war satire stars Laurence Harvey as Sergeant Raymond Shaw. After his U.S. army unit is captured while fighting in Korea, they're spirited to Manchurian and brainwashed by Chinese communists, whose mastery of their subjects is so complete that they can order one G.I. to nonchalantly strangle another. The men return to the U.S. with no conscious memory of their experience, and Shaw is awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for bravery. But when Captain Bennett Marco (Frank Sinatra) starts having nightmares, actually fragmentary memories of the brainwashing, he begins an authorized investigation of that possibility, which comes to focus on the similarly afflicted Shaw. Further digging reveals that the sergeant's brainwashing has transformed him into an unconscious assassin, who can be triggered by his communist controllers at will. Frankenheimer's best film, both a coruscating thriller and a razor-sharp satire of cold war hysteria, it also gets a jab in at virulent mothering, with Angela Lansbury giving her finest screen performance as Shaw's monstrously conniving mom. A film packed with sly details, such as the liberal senator "bleeding" milk when he's shot, THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE demands repeated viewings. Although Sinatra is slightly miscast as a tortured intellectual, Harvey and the remaining cast are excellent, as is Richard Sylbert's inventively designed "brainwashing" sequence, Lionel Lindon's extraordinary depth-of-field camerawork, and David Amram's witty, neoclassical score.

As Kings Go Forth (1958)

Starring Frank Sinatra, Tony Curtiss, & Natale Wood

Frank Sinatra stars as Lieutenant Sam Loggins, an American G.I. stationed in a small war torn French village in AS KINGS GO FORTH. Abroad and lonely, he falls in love with a mixed-race American woman, Monique (Natalie Wood). Monique in turn has set her sights on Britt (Tony Curtis), a rich playboy who's a new member of Sam's platoon. When Sam learns that Britt has told Monique he could never marry her because she isn't white, he resolves to kill Britt. But an upcoming mission vital to the Allies' victory over the Nazis makes both men reconsider their feud.

Set in France in 1944, AS KINGS GO FORTH is a riveting film. Director Daves renders an exotic backdrop of villas and meadows as the two battle-hardened GI's court Monique, evoking a teenage sense of lust and angst. Most delectable however are the hunky leads. Cleverly juxtaposed, Sinatra and Curtis are utterly convincing as enemies. One cannot help but root for Sinatra's character Sam. Yes its a 'sad' war movie, but worth the watch.

Windwalker (1980)

A Cheyenne chief relates his life memories to his grandchildren in the years before major white influence came to their lands. Their battles were with the Crow, and this covers a usually passed over era of the american west. The dialog is in native Cheyenne for the most part, with sub-titles.

The Mountain Men (1980)

Bill Tyler (Charlton Heston) and Henry Frapp (Brian Keith), two aging beaver trappers in the high Rockies, find their lives on the line when they encounter Running Moon (Victoria Racimo), a beautiful Blackfoot runaway. Though Tyler wants no part of her, she takes him as her own--which angers her true mate, Heavy Eagle (Steven Macht), the powerful local Blackfoot chief. Beautiful photography is one of the highlights of this offbeat mixture of action, adventure, and comedy, which features a script by Charlton Heston's son, Fraser Clarke Heston. Jeramiah Johnson with Robert Redford ( a good movie in its own right) gets the accolades for being the #1 Mountain Man movie, but I like this one better.

Last edited by Snowdog : 11-17-2003 at 06:29 PM.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 04:24 PM   #45
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

here are some great suggestions...

The Mission (with rob de niro and jeremy irons, also has a young aidan quinn and liam neeson)

All the Presidents Men(has dustin hoffman)

Canadian Bacon(a good comedy)

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 04:41 PM   #46
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Blue

White

Red
Old 11-17-2003, 06:31 PM   #47
Snowdog

Cool, a French trilogy.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:17 PM   #48
Mercutio

Even if you don't normally like Shakespeare, you will have to love "Much Ado About Nothing" with Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson. It's hilarious!

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 10:17 PM   #49
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

i saw that a video store one day.
it has so many famous people in it.
Hector Berlioz wrote an opera on that shakespeare story; "beatrice and benedict"

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 05:28 AM   #50
Millane
The Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercutio
Even if you don't normally like Shakespeare, you will have to love "Much Ado About Nothing" with Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson. It's hilarious!
Kenneth Brannagh and shakespeare do not mix, im watching his Hamlet in Lit and it is so overacted that its not funny, he included all these flashbacks with Hamlet having sex with ophelia for no apparent reason (except i think he likes Kate Winslet) sure kate winslets hot but he could have been a bit more tactful about it.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:20 PM   #51
Mercutio

Much Ado

I haven't knowingly seen any other movies with Kenneth Branagh, but in this Shakespeare he is definitely good.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote