Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-23-2003, 09:15 PM   #41
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

Quote:
but the elders need to respect us back
Why, what did you do to EARN that respect?

I think its okay for parents to respect CHILDREN, but not BECAUSE they are children.

It's alot like Booker T Washington thought about Blacks entering society. He thought they should EARN a place, instead of it being handed to them.

Quote:
Concerning respect for adults - I don't think adults deserve unconditional respect from children. At my graduation party - I was showing people my prom pictures. There was a picture of two of my friends together - he was black and she was white. My grandmother's "boyfriend" blew up and said how disgusting that was. I started screaming at him and my father said I had accept his criticism because he was older. I yelled to to my father that bigotry was not criticism and I didn't have accept that attitude. This was outside - so everyone was there.
I agree with the fact that your Grandma's dick was wrong in being a bigot.

BUT Perhaps your dad should have said something like, "Just because someone doesn't agree with your opinions, doesn't make you right or you wrong, but it also doesn't give you the right to 'start screaming'." That to me, seems to be a spoiled child trait. I'm not passing judgement, just stating my opinion, are you going to scream at me?

Quote:
When my sister was in high school - my parents asked her if she had done her homework, because she was watching TV. She answered that she'd do it after she finished watching a show or something. My parents told her that she'd do it now. I told my parents to let her just watch TV - she was an A student and I was sure that she'd do it like she always did without having to be told. They were just in a bad mood and were going to take it out on her. They told me to stay out of it - but they knew I was right and let her watch her show.
Just because you were right doesn't mean you had any right to tell your parents how to parent. You don't pay for your sisters education. You didn't raise her, no matter how much you think you did, and you didn't get her to the point of being an " A student".

So what if your parents were wrong, they should figure that out on their own.

Your parents shouldn't take their anger out on your sister, or anyone else, but they need to learn from their own mistakes.

Quote:
Childern and teenagers deserve just as much respect as adults do. And not all adults or children end up deserving respect. If someone doesn't respect me - then I really see no reason to show them any respect either. I won't go out of my way to be mean or a jerk to them. But I won't pretend to like them either.
You don't practise the Golden Rule, I see. Not all adults deserve respect, I am glad you see that, but they are still adults, they chose how to be. Children don't DESERVE respect. They earn it. Not get it automatically. Parents shelter, clothe, feed, and educate their kids, thus they not only DESERVE, but have gone far to EARN respect. When I see a smart aleck 5 year old able to do that (support themselves, and their parents), I'll respect them.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:31 PM   #42
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

An email that I got:
And we said O.K.

Hi all,

I've read this before, and though you may have also, I thought I'd send it along anyway. I needed the reminder: that small seeds turn into big plants - a beautiful oak or a large patch of poison ivy or something even more deadly - but seeds always grow...

Love and blessings to you all, in Jesus
Crystal (Crystie) Allen

In light of the many jokes we send along to one another for a laugh, this is a little different:

This joke today is not intended to be a joke, it's not intended to be funny, it's intended to get you thinking. ~~

Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the Early Show and Jane Clayson asked her "How could God let something like this happen?" ( regarding the attacks on Sept. 11 ).
~~~
Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful response. She said "I believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but for years we've been telling God to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and to get out of our lives. And being the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out. How can we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us alone?"
~~~
In light of recent events...terrorists attack, school shootings, etc. I think it started when Madeleine Murray O'Hare (she was murdered, her body found recently) complained she didn't want prayer in our schools, and we said OK.
~~~
Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school... the Bible says thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbor as yourself. And we said OK.
~~~
Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they misbehave because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage their self-esteem (Dr. Spock's son committed suicide). We said an expert should know what he's talking about. And we said OK.
~~~
Then someone said teachers and principals better not discipline our children when they misbehave. The school administrators said no faculty member in this school better touch a student when they misbehave because we don't want any bad publicity, and we surely don't want to be sued. There's a big difference between disciplining, touching, beating, smacking, humiliating, kicking, etc.).
And we said OK.
~~~
Then someone said, let's let our daughters have abortions if they want, and they won't even have to tell their parents. And we said OK.
~~~
Then some wise school board member said, since boys will be boys and they're going to do it anyway, let's give our sons all the condoms they want so they can have all the fun they desire, and we won't have to tell their parents they got them at school. And we said OK.
~~~
Then some of our top elected officials said it doesn't matter what we do in private as long as we do our jobs. Agreeing with them, we said it doesn't matter to me what anyone, including the President, does in private as long as I have a job and the economy is good.
~~~
Then someone said let's print magazines with pictures of nude women and call it wholesome, down-to-earth appreciation for the beauty of the female body. And we said OK.
~~~
And then someone else took that appreciation a step further and published pictures of nude children and then further again by making them available on the Internet. And we said OK, they're entitled to free speech.
~~~
Then the entertainment industry said, let's make TV shows and movies that promote profanity, violence, and illicit sex. Let's record music that encourages rape, drugs, murder, suicide, and satanic themes. And we said it's just entertainment, it has no adverse effect, nobody takes it seriously anyway, so go right ahead.
~~~
Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill strangers, their classmates, and themselves.
~~~
Probably, if we think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out. I think it has a great deal to do with "WE REAP WHAT WE SOW."

This did come from an anti-public school person, so on some pounts I don't agree, but you get the pount, it may not be 100%on subject, but at least 95%.

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 11:02 PM   #43
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by wahine
Why, what did you do to EARN that respect?

I think its okay for parents to respect CHILDREN, but not BECAUSE they are children.
Where did I say that they should be respected because they're children. I think think EVERYONE should be respected until they demonstrate they don't deserve it. Not all adults end up deserving respect.

Quote:

It's alot like Booker T Washington thought about Blacks entering society. He thought they should EARN a place, instead of it being handed to them.

So what's your argument here? That they should earn it or it should be automatic? As I said above - everyone should be initially respected until they demonstrate they don't.

Quote:

I agree with the fact that your Grandma's dick was wrong in being a bigot.

BUT Perhaps your dad should have said something like, "Just because someone doesn't agree with your opinions, doesn't make you right or you wrong, but it also doesn't give you the right to 'start screaming'." That to me, seems to be a spoiled child trait. I'm not passing judgement, just stating my opinion, are you going to scream at me?
No I'm not going to scream at you - you werent there. And I don't care how my father said it - I would have still have told Simone off. He disrespected me and my friends and he did not deserve my respect. He actually lost it long before that with his n*gg*r this and n*gg*r that comments. So if you think that that's being a spoiled child then I guess you would just turn your back on those type of comments. Sorry but I don't, nor will I.

Quote:

Just because you were right doesn't mean you had any right to tell your parents how to parent. You don't pay for your sisters education. You didn't raise her, no matter how much you think you did, and you didn't get her to the point of being an " A student".

So what if your parents were wrong, they should figure that out on their own.
I was brought up to state my opinions - and I stated them. They didn't have to listen to me. But they taught me to be an individual. That is one of the reason's I never got along with my father's ex-wife he married after my mother died. She brought up her children to be seen and not heard. They accepted everything she said and she didn't like to be questioned. Well I questioned and didn't take anything at face value. She had rules on what could and couldn't be talked about. Possiblility of aliens - was out, ghosts was out - conversations that we used to talk about many times as a family. Also - you didn't question religion - especially christianity what so ever. I'm just very glad that I was out of the house when my father met her - so I didn't have to deal with her. And since she filed for divorce last year - I don't have to deal with her and her phoniness any more.

Before my mother died, my family used to sit at the dinner table for hours just talking - and we expressed our own opinions. We didn't always agree - but we generally respected each other's opinion.

Quote:

Your parents shouldn't take their anger out on your sister, or anyone else, but they need to learn from their own mistakes.
Well most people end up taking their frustrations on others a lot of times. Whether they do it consciously or unconsciously.

Quote:

You don't practise the Golden Rule, I see. Not all adults deserve respect, I am glad you see that, but they are still adults, they chose how to be. Children don't DESERVE respect. They earn it. Not get it automatically. Parents shelter, clothe, feed, and educate their kids, thus they not only DESERVE, but have gone far to EARN respect. When I see a smart aleck 5 year old able to do that (support themselves, and their parents), I'll respect them.
i do practice the golden rule - I treat everyone the way I want to be treated. But if they don't treat me the same way or if they demonstrate that they don't deserve my respect - I won't give it to them. As I said - I'm not going to be a jerk to them or anything - but I'm not going act like we're friends or that I even like them. I'm not going to be a phony.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 11:04 PM   #44
jerseydevil

continued...

Chidren do deserve respect. They're ideas and opinions should be listened to. Not necessarily obeyed and not if they're acting like a spoiled brat (in which case they don't deserve a person's respect anyway).

So you talk conscendingly to younger people? I hated that as a child and I hate it today. I won't talk down to anyone just because they're younger or even a child.

Also - I'm not talking about children not respecting their parents - or respecting people that cloth and feed them. But NOT everyone deserves respect.

I respect my father for a lot of things and I respected my mother - but i was brought up to have my own mind. Not fall lock step with what everyone else says or not to state my opinions. When I came home from college and told my parents I was atheist - my father was upset and told me that no one in his "household" was going to be atheist. My mother turned to him and said "What are you going to do - tell him what to beleive?" I had far more respect for my mother at times like that, which actually in terms of being an individual - I had more respect for my mother. She was far more of an individual and a person that had opinions and wasn't afraid to state them.

I never got in trouble for stating my opinions - I got in trouble for misbehaving and being bad.

By the way - I should point out that you show NO respect for Simone since you called him "dick" even though you never met him. I would actually never do that or pass judgement on him unless I met him and found it to be true. Believe me - I have no respect for him. At my grandmother's funeral in May - the only thing I said to him was hi and that's only because he said it to me. I think he tried talking to me as if I liked him - but I had no desire to, so I just let everyone else act phony. He could rot for all I care. Several years ago he walked out on my grandmother because she got alzheimers, after everything she and our family had done for him. We even included him as part of our family - spending every year with us during holidays and everything.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-23-2003 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:22 PM   #45
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

Re: continued...

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
[B]So you talk conscendingly to younger people? I hated that as a child and I hate it today. I won't talk down to anyone just because they're younger or even a child.[B]
I don't talk down to children. Kids. I talk to them on their level. I don't try to bring their mentality up farther than they can handle.

Quote:
By the way - I should point out that you show NO respect for Simone since you called him "dick" even though you never met him. I would actually never do that or pass judgement on him unless I met him and found it to be true. Believe me - I have no respect for him.
"Dick" is a term, here, for husband/boyfriend/lover. So, thanks.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:28 PM   #46
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

when I'm drunk my girl thinks I'm called Richard Cranium

Quote:
Dick" is a term, here, for husband/boyfriend/lover. So, thanks.
Many wives/girlfriends etc call their partner "Dick" as a sign of endearment in the UK as well.

Especially when a husband returns at 4am, drunk as a monkey, should he be expected to be addressed thusly......at least so I hope

(forgetting birhdays, anivesaries etc......also tends to cause this title to be bestowed)

Anyhow........

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003, 07:36 PM   #47
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

I agree with Coney, you shouldn't "talk down" to kids. And by the way, wahine, there is a diffrence in "talking down" to kids, and talking on there level. I hate it when people talk to me like I'm in 2nd grade (I'm in 7th), or below, I want to screem at them, but of course, I am only 13, and have to respect them, even though they are showing no respect to me.

Also Coney, I agree that kids should be given respect untill they loose it, same with adults.

Coney, how old are you? You must be in your early 20's or so, or at least it sounds like it to this youngen. I think that is because you respect us kids to much, most people wouldn't ceer if they did or didn't.

I really hate the disrespect that younger kids get from there age. Have you ever noticed that what we say dosen't matter as much as what the adults say do? I have, I had this teacher last year who was really mean, but when any other adults enterd the room, she would be all nice and junk. Me and a lode of other students wanted to complane to the prinsable, because she was so unfair, and didn't believe that it was responsable for a 11/12/13 year old to make a mistake. She was really mean, she would even call us names and make fun of us. But we didn't tell the office, because we were scared that they would just agnor us, like most office workers do, even though they are supposed to help us. We even thought that we might get in trouble, just for telling them the truth, because this was something that did happen when any student complaned about a teacher. I just don't understand, why must we kids be afraid of the adults that are there to help us? The only answer that I can give you is disrespect for our ages. Stupid heartless adults.

FRODO LIVES!
Old 01-26-2003, 07:44 PM   #48
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Peter Pan has nothing on me........

Quote:
Coney, how old are you? You must be in your early 20's or so,
What a sweet thing to say! ......I'm nearly 30 Sam.....although I'm not your "conventional" 30 yr old (at least I hope not)

Nice post

Beatallica
Old 01-26-2003, 07:51 PM   #49
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Re: Peter Pan has nothing on me........

Quote:
Originally posted by Coney
What a sweet thing to say! ......I'm nearly 30 Sam.....although I'm not your "conventional" 30 yr old (at least I hope not)

Nice post
Thanks, you sher don't seem like your nearly 30. Like I said (I think) that is because you R-E-S-P-E-C-T us. How nice of you. You sherly are diffrent then the avrage 30 year old. By now, you should be looking down on us, and saying that what we say is just "silly kiddish talk" and not "of adult (meaning you) human intalagens."

FRODO LIVES!
Old 01-26-2003, 08:32 PM   #50
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Re: Re: Peter Pan has nothing on me........

Quote:
Originally posted by samwiselvr2008
By now, you should be looking down on us, and saying that what we say is just "silly kiddish talk" and not "of adult (meaning you) human intalagens."
Nope, it'll be a cold day in wotever when I subscribe to that kinda thinking.......I remember my teenage yrs....and I also remember the rubbish that folks tried to enforce on me.

In the words of The Rabbi Lionel Blue (speaking about teengers) "Everyone has a voice and an opinion.......an opinion should never be dismissed, it may be disageed with........but it should never be voicifically disagreed if you do not offer a better one [opinion]....to object without reason only invites resentment"

Clever man there

Beatallica
Old 01-26-2003, 09:06 PM   #51
Bullroarer
Elven Warrior

Thank you wahine.

Anyways, I found the two opinions rather interesting

One is to give respect where it is earned. (wahine)

One is to give respect where it is expected to be deserved. (jersey devil)

Both are very good decisions, yes. I will always side with the first, but with just one added thing:

I will give respect when it is earned, but I will not show disrespect until it is earned as well.
Old 01-26-2003, 09:23 PM   #52
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Bullroarer
Both are very good decisions, yes. I will always side with the first, but with just one added thing:

I will give respect when it is earned, but I will not show disrespect until it is earned as well.
And I will continue to show respect for anyone until they show disrespect toward me - or prove that they don't disserve respect.

I don't see why anyone should have to EARN respect - that is implying that people don't deserve it until they prove they do. Everyone deserves respect - from the homeless person on the street or the drug addict all the way to the multi-millionaire. if anyone of them then demonstrated they don't deserve it - then they lose the respect and have to work to regain it.

Coney - you better sit down - because I agree with you. I remember being younger and being talked down to by adults. My parents never talked down to me - but people that I didn't know did.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-26-2003, 09:31 PM   #53
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Coney - you better sit down - because I agree with you.

Tis a different thread JD.........even we can't dissagree on everything

Beatallica
Old 01-26-2003, 09:40 PM   #54
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Just a question to all of the older folks that think that they are more "human" then us younger ones (human as in having more fillings)?

Also, if you live in the USA, and know about kid's rights as far as school gose, and standing up for what you believe in and telling the truth about other teachers, then please PM me or post it here. (Read 2 Samwiselvr posts back, bottem paragraph!)

FRODO LIVES!