Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-04-2004, 11:01 AM   #41
katya
Elven Maiden

What genre of music is your favorite? both rock and classical

At what age did you start really getting interested in music? pre-teen years. I was really it it. What type of music were you raised on? I was raised by my dad on good rock (pink floyd, talking heads, etc. not to mention david bowie, especially "The Laughing Gnome"!) and my mom on stuff like The Cranberries and Joni Mitchell (sp.?)

How often do you attend a concert? I used to a few times in the summer, now not very often at all- maybe once or twice a year

Do you admire Beethoven? (yes or no) yes

Do you admire the Beatles? yes, but I don't like their music

How often do you listen to Classical Music? I go through phases, but probably at least once a week. do you like it? of course!

Has your music tastes changed over the last five/ten years? (or any number of years) Yeah. Lesse, 5 years ago...I was probably just starting to explore my own bands as opposed to just what I knew from my mom. I was pretty into Third Eye Blind, I think.

What do you think of Norah Jones? do you like the jazzy flavor of her music? I love jazz, and I admire NJ a little bit, but I can't really get into her music.

Which do/would you like better, Rock or Pop? rock, no contest

Who is your favorite musician/band? That one's really tough for me, especially it's hard to pick between classical musicians and rock bands.

In your opinion, is music better now than it was back in the 70's 80's 90's? (I'm probably talking about rock here....) It's hard for me to say, since I was so young, but I think rock music isn't getting much better....

Do you think that Led Zeppelin was influenced by Tolkien for some of their songs? of course.

Do you play an instrument?/which instrument? yes, piano. I really like piano. I also played clarinet for 5 years in band, but I didn't really like it that much. I can play some simple guitar tunes.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 11:48 AM   #42
Catgirl
Elven Warrior

Re: Music Survey

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
What genre of music is your favorite?

Almost all. Many different kinds.

At what age did you start really getting interested in music?/What type of music were you raised on?

At the age of 12-13. I was raised on Christian pop, but then my dad got me into Queen and the bands he grew up with.

How often do you attend a concert?

Maybe once every year, usually a youth festival like YC, but I attend an actual concert every 2 years or so.

Do you admire Beethoven? (yes or no)

Somewhat.

Do you admire the Beatles?

Not really.

How often do you listen to Classical Music? do you like it?

Not that often, but sometimes on the radio. It's not my favourite, but I will be able to listen to it for a while.

Has your music tastes changed over the last five/ten years? (or any number of years)

Definetly, I used to be crazy over the lame pop groups when I was younger, but now i'v moved on.

What do you think of Norah Jones? do you like the jazzy flavor of her music?

I definetly do not like Norah Jones. Jazz is not my thing.

Which do/would you like better, Rock or Pop?

Probably Rock.

Who is your favorite musician/band?

Hmmm....Probably either Queen or Piller or Aerosmith.

In your opinion, is music better now than it was back in the 70's 80's 90's? (I'm probably talking about rock here....)

Not at all, the music now a days is not original and does not sound as good. Back int he 70's and 80's, musicians were different compared to each other and had their own unique style. They were good at what they did.

Do you think that Led Zeppelin was influenced by Tolkien for some of their songs?

No idea.

Do you play an instrument?/which instrument?

I play piano, Electric guitar, and some drums (But not that good at the drums)
Old 06-04-2004, 09:44 PM   #43
Mercutio

Speaking of the Beatles...I really like the song "Blackbird."

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 09:58 AM   #44
azalea
Long lost mooter

I enjoy ALL genres except punk, rap, and pop-style country. I can't pick a favorite, but classic rock is up there, as is classic R&B, bluegrass, classic jazz, and classical. I really like traditional music from other countries, such as Ireland, China and India. I also like soundtracks to movies and musicals.

At what age did you start really getting interested in music?/What type of music were you raised on?
I have been listening to music since I was very little. My parents were big music fans, and I was raised listening to what is now "classic" rock (it was pop at the time: ah, for the days when rock was pop! ) and classical. I first started listening to my "own" music at around age 11. I was into The Beatles (my parents were/ are HUGE Beatles fans), also pop music of the time: Men at Work, Duran Duran, Adam Ant, etc.

Never anymore, I'm too poor. :P I really wanted to see Todd Rundgren when he came to a local hall, but it was $30 a ticket, which I think is cheap by today's standards, but for me and my husband to go would be much too expensive for us. However, I used to go all the time as a teenager/ young adult (like twice a month). I think the last one I saw was my brother's band, Black Venus, at a local dive about a year ago.

Do you admire Beethoven? (yes or no) Yes!

Do you admire the Beatles? Yes!

Almost daily.

Has your music tastes changed over the last five/ten years? (or any number of years)
It has mainly expanded rather than changed. It has changed from 15 years ago: I was a metalhead in the 80s, but I listened to it so much that I got oversaturated, and I moved on to other things. But I still appreciate the music.

Never heard anything by her that I know of.

Rock, I suppose. It depends on the song.

Right now I'm into Curtis Mayfield, Bessie Smith, Billy Preston, and whatever else strikes my fancy on any given day.

In your opinion, is music better now than it was back in the 70's 80's 90's? (I'm probably talking about rock here....)
NO as far as what is being marketed, but I'm sure stuff is being produced out there that is great, it's just not accessable to the average consumer.

Do you think that Led Zeppelin was influenced by Tolkien for some of their songs?
Of course, how could they not have been when they talk about Mordor and Gollum in Ramble On?

I play the recorder a little.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 10:57 AM   #45
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz

Meh... Depends on my mood. Anything but c&w, pop, most opera (i tried, really I did).

I became iterested at 4 or 5. Beatles, Beatles, and more Beatles until I was 9 or ten. Then it was all the biggies of the 60's but mostly Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Stones, Dylan, etc.

One a year.

Of course.

Sometimes

Daily. Same with Alt rock and classic rock.

Has your music tastes changed over the last five/ten years?
(or any number of years)

Adding new groups that fit my tastes, but they are pretty general. Maybe more jazz than before, though interest has always been periodic.

Like oatmeal with cinnamon and raisins. Pleasant and easy to digest, but a steady diet?

Rock

Not composer? The Who were the greatest performace band of rock that I have seen.

More polished but less inspired (in general). Too much imitation and not much innovation. That is a periodic condition though; most of the eighties music was not very inspired. Best periods of rock music: '67-'77 and '92-00.

yes

That's subjective. I have a piano and a guitar (and a harmonica) and once played the trombone.

Happy?
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary

Last edited by Cirdan : 06-05-2004 at 10:59 AM.
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 11:18 AM   #46
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby

Quote:
What genre of music is your favorite? indie/ pop rock

12/13 first band i really liked was the spice girls....my how ive changed

How often do you attend a concert? only to been to a couple. so not very often

erm dunno

yeh theyre cool

hate the stuff really. brother and dad use it to torture me in the car by sticking on classic fm. just not my kinda thing

erm big yup. used to like all the mainstream pop crap. not anymore

dont mind her infact i got both albums not liking the second as much. bit repititive and stuff

rock.

erm dont have just one.lets name a few.
matchbox 20, hanson, creed, dashboard confessional, five for fighting, simple plan, dexter freebish, incubus, idlewild, diffuser, lifehouse, yellowcard, three doors down. well erm those are my faves atm.

only been around for the 90's so i guess id go with that

dunno never listened to any

violin and hate it gave up last week lol

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 11:38 AM   #47
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

Quote:
R n' B

Quote:
Raised on BBC Radio 2 lol... About 14 Id say....

Quote:
Not very often

Quote:
No

Quote:
Yes

Quote:
Not very often, but some of it is excellent

Quote:
No, not really

Quote:
I hate her. Shes so depressing. GOD i hate her!!

Quote:
Rock ( 70's / 80's - not all this new "Rock" )

Quote:
Dont have a favourite

Quote:
80's!! Defintly

Quote:
Yes, especially "The Battle for Evermore"

Quote:
No, want to star guitar though...

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.

Last edited by Twista : 06-06-2004 at 07:46 AM.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 04:31 PM   #48
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Epic tech-trance and progressive goa/tribal trance.

12/Rock, grunge, heavy metal, then dance.

Never.

No.

No.

Never. No.

Over the last five years, no. Definitely over the last ten years.

Don't know her personally. Don't like her music.

Rock.

Can't really say. I like Ferry Corsten's stuff at the moment, but there are plenty of tunes I like whose artists I know not.

Yes.

No idea.

No/I said no--listen next time.

Last edited by Andúril : 06-05-2004 at 04:34 PM.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 04:51 PM   #49
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

metal, hard rock, alternate rock, and punk

i was raised on big band and music from the 20s and 30s; that and some oldies. my aunt introduced me to a rock and other more mainstream styles of music when i was about 11 or twelve

ha! i've been to exactly two concerts

admire as in like his stuff? yes.

i love their music, but as people they leave something to be desired

i listen to it once and a while with my parents or when i'm relaxing.

mm, i guess yeah; i used to listen to a lot of pop and hip-hop and other top 40 type stuff

no!

definetly rock- no contest

oh, god, there're are so many... i guess i'd have to say godsmack, megadeth, afi, linkin park, staind, and metallica

well, yeah, but that doesn't mean i don't listen to older stuff- i love cream, CCR, and the beatles!

not sure; i don't really listen to them alot

i used to play the flute, but now i play the scottish snare drum, and i'm on the waiting list to have lessons on a drum set- i'm so excited!

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 10:06 PM   #50
azalea
Long lost mooter

Tsk, tsk -- am I the only one who gets an empty feeling when the young'uns reply that they know Led Zeppelin not? Go buy their first album (self-titled), then listen to it all. Then get Physical Graffiti, and listen to it all. Then go get...(etc. )
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 11:29 PM   #51
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
Tsk, tsk -- am I the only one who gets an empty feeling when the young'uns reply that they know Led Zeppelin not?
no...

:.....(

Those two are must haves then 4 and HotH then III then II then Presence and the rest after that.

Have you seen the DVD set? *drool* It's great!
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 10:20 AM   #52
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Tsk, tsk -- am I the only one who gets an empty feeling when the young'uns reply that they know Led Zeppelin not?
Again, no you're not. And I'm only 16!
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 10:38 AM   #53
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Quote:
Tsk, tsk -- am I the only one who gets an empty feeling when the young'uns reply that they know Led Zeppelin not? Go buy their first album (self-titled), then listen to it all. Then get Physical Graffiti, and listen to it all. Then go get...(etc. )
I was around when Zep first hit it big and their records were often playing (loudly) in the background at parties and in the dorm, but at the time, I was going through my hippie girl/folkie phase (Judy Collins, Joni Mitchell, PP&M, CSN&Y), that I didn't really pay much attention. But I certainly know who they are.

(Back then if I listened to rock it was CCR and Emerson, Lake and Palmer)

I guess I've effectively dated myself now...

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 08:34 PM   #54
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

toss up between classical/heavy-metal/goth

don't know/raised on punk

rarely, there aren't many concerts out in the wilds of north somerset

yes

no

every night, on Classic FM (UK radio station) Yes i like it

not really, always liked rock and classical

Don't like her or her music

rock

either black sabbath or mortiis

there are always good and bad things about every decade

maybe (leaning toward yes)

i can play piano/keyboard, though not too well,
i am better at composing than playing
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 09:44 PM   #55
Anglorfin
Alasailon

What genre of music is your favorite? - Metal

At what age did you start really getting interested in music?/What type of music were you raised on? - I was raised on classical stuff. When I was little I remember my favorite band being Guns n Roses because of my dad. I really got into "my" stuff when I was an early teen i guess.

How often do you attend a concert? - As often as I can. Usually monthly.

Do you admire Beethoven? (yes or no) - Yes

Do you admire the Beatles? - No

How often do you listen to Classical Music? do you like it? - Very often and of course I like it.

Has your music tastes changed over the last five/ten years? (or any number of years) - I had no musical taste up until high school or so.

What do you think of Norah Jones? do you like the jazzy flavor of her music? - Never heard of her.

Which do/would you like better, Rock or Pop? - Rock

Who is your favorite musician/band? - Iron Maiden

In your opinion, is music better now than it was back in the 70's 80's 90's? (I'm probably talking about rock here....) - In absolutely no way

Do you think that Led Zeppelin was influenced by Tolkien for some of their songs? - Sure

Do you play an instrument?/which instrument? - Guitar

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:25 PM   #56
The Lady of the Wood
Enting

classic rock

basically a year ago, i grew up on classic rock

well im going to 2 this summer, but thats cause im not in tallahassee.i do go see local concerts probably like once a month

yes

yes

not very often.its ok

yes.i always liked classic rock, but i was really into the whole nsync backstreet boy thing for a few years and now i hate it

i dont like her music

rock

led zeppelin

In your opinion, is music better now than it was back in the 70's 80's 90's?
not at all

"the drums will shake the castle walls, the ringwraiths ride in black.ride on" yes

i can play guitar, piano, and violin but havent played recently

Ah caught you smiling at me, That's the way it should be,
Like a leaf is to a tree, so fine.
Ah all the good times we had, I sang love songs so glad
Always smiling, never sad, so fine.
As we walk down the country lanes, I'll be singing a song,
Hear me calling your name.
Hear the wind within the trees, Telling Mother Nature 'bout you and me.

"Yeah.And Grizzly Adams had a beard."

'Grizzly Adams did have a beard."
The Lady of the Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 11:48 AM   #57
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I can't believe I haven't done this mad cool survey yet!

If I had to pick one, I'd say Metal. I also love Punk, Rock, Ska, Classical, as well as some Blues, R 'n B, Alternative, Jazz, Hip Hop, Country, and Rap.

My parents listen to a lot of classical music, and took my brother and I to classical concerts when we were old enough to enjoy them.
I really started getting in to music when I was about 10 or 11, starting with New Kids on the Block, Vanilla Ice, and MC Hammer. I then added Alanis Morisette and No Doubt to my favourite bands. They are all still near and dear to my heart, even though I only occasionally listen to Alanis, and I'm not fond of No Doubt's new pop stuff. (They used to be Ska.)
I have been a great fan of Liona Boyd ever since I started playing classical guitar when I was about 12.

Once ever 6 months, on average.

Yes. He was a very cool person, and a genius, and I love his music.

Yes, for the same reasons I admire Beethoven, except exchange "he" with "they".

I listen to it quite often, and I love classical music.

Since I started taking an interest in music 10 years ago now, I have come to love Metal. I've also more recently been converted into a classical music lover, even though I don't possess the knowledge base that my dad (a classical music buff) or my brother (taking a music degree) do.

I've never listened to her, but I do like jazz.

Rock all the way baby.

This is very difficult. I will say Liona Boyd for favourite musician, but I also really like Jimi Hendrix, John Williams (the classical guitarist), James Hetfield (Metallica lead singer) and Tarja Turunen (Nightwish lead singer).
Favourite band will be Metallica, for sentimental reasons (my first introduction to the wonders of metal) but I absolutely love Nightwish as well.

I don't think it's better, just different. If I was to judge the music scene solely by the most played/hyped, I'd say it was FAR better in the 70's and 80s, though those two decades are notably different. However, the schlock repeated ad nauseum on the radio doesn't really define the music of today, no matter what the major record companies and media promoters would have you believe.

IIRC, they actually said somewhere that Tolkien influenced the song "The Battle of Evermore" among others. "Misty Mountain Hop" is about hippies, though the title might mislead you.

I play classical guitar, and classical piano (even though I stink now). I used to take lessons in both, and I still try to practice guitar whenever I can, because I love it.
I can also sing passably though I have never taken lessons.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:07 PM   #58
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Perhaps this is a good time to revive this thread?

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:13 PM   #59
Whispering Willow
Hobbit

*begins CPR*

~I can't answer that one. I like a lot of different music, and have no idea what belongs to what genre.

~My parents listened to country and similar jun.. err, stuff. My brothers listened to Kiss, Mötorhead, AC/DC etc. My best friend listened to whatever pop was on the charts. I suffered in silence. Ok, not really, I liked some of it, but it got a bit boring. I didn't really stat getting interested in music until I was all grown up and on my own. Access to Internet helped.

~Never. Just never get around to it.

~Yes.

~Yes. But don't consider myself a fan.

~Only now and then. Yes, I do like it.

~No, only expanded.

~It's ok.

~I like both, but lean more towards rock.

~Gaah. Tough one. Can't name just one, so a few from the top of my head: VAST, Tool, Disturbed, Depeche Mode, dredg, Bertine Zetlitz..

~Neither better nor worse.

~I have no clue whatsoever.

Alas, no.
Whispering Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:22 PM   #60
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Willow

~Yes. But don't consider myself a fan.

[/b]
Same here ...

glad you took the test

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote