Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-03-2002, 03:08 AM   #41
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Favourite detail: the stone trolls!

Did anyone else catch them? They were in there for only about one or two shots, right after Aragorn and the hobbits leave Weathertop...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 11:25 AM   #42
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
Favourite detail: the stone trolls!

Did anyone else catch them? They were in there for only about one or two shots, right after Aragorn and the hobbits leave Weathertop...
No! I missed that completely! Yet another reason to drop 8 bucks.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 12:02 PM   #43
sracer
Hobbit

Nazgul

I loved absolutely everything about the film except 2 things....

1. It was too short! It could've been another 1/2 hour and I would not have minded... but I agree with the decision to cap it where it is. Hopefully the DVD will include tons of footage omitted.

2. Gollum. I know that everyone likes Gollum, but when I saw him, I cringed..... visions of the "Blarp" from "Lost In Space: The Movie" and Jar Jar Binks, sprang to mind.

Although PJ has not done anything to make me believe that he would do a poor job with Gollum, I couldn't help think that this might be the one weak point in the films. I'm not going to harp on it and will do what I did with the first film...wait and enjoy.
sracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 12:22 PM   #44
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Agreed, IronParrot, loved the stone trolls. You know, in re-reading The Hobbit, it surprised me how fast the dwarves and Bilbo made it to the Ettenmoors in the book. Heck, it sounded like they ran into the trolls just a few days out of the Shire!

Plus, I loved Bilbo's telling the story of the trolls to the child hobbits at the Birthday Party.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 03:41 PM   #45
Arwenfan
Sapling

Arwen Undomiel Fave thing about movie

I've just seen the movie for the second time with a friend (also her 2nd time), and I have to say the part where Boromir attempts to save Merry & Pippin and dies is the most moving amd wonderful part. Also Sam's dedication and bravery at the end in insisting on going with Frodo, no matter what. We both agreed it gets better with each viewing. There's so much to take in.

p.s. Apologies to Renille & Gloer, I'm a naturally argumentative bitch I'm afraid, no offence intended. Plus I'm English/Scottish and we seem to be a bit more strident in our opinions than you guys (I'm guessing you're American).
Arwenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 10:55 PM   #46
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

It's okay! I can be extremely argumentative, too. But yes, I'm American, Wisconsinite, actually.

I'm not sure, but I think I noticed the trolls the second time around. When I go again (4th time!) I'll see what I can see.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 11:23 PM   #47
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Arwenfan, as I've stated before, the scene of Boromir's fall brreaks my heart every time, and I start crying from the second he appears to fight the Orcs and save [for a moment or two] Merry and Pippin, and my tears just keep falling til the end of the film, and sometimes even for a while afterwards.

As for argumentative, ain't no English/Scot can hold a candle to an American Cajun when it comes to wringing the last breath out of a point! We can argue the color of sunshine til the cows come home, and don't get us started on which gumbo [a cajun roux-based soup] recipe is better than all the rest! Might come to violence, depending how much beer is left...[wink!] Mix that with my Campbell clan side, and you got volatility on tap...American Balrog with an inexhaustible fuel supply!

Good on you, you are indeed a classy lass.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:53 AM   #48
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

Reply to an earlier post - I also always thought Boromir would be more football playerish. I haven't seen Faramir - but I alwsys pictured him as thinner. But Boromir was good anyway.

My favorite scene was the Balrog without a doubt. Even though I think that Gandalf should have fallen with the Balrog and continued fighting as it's described in the book - I think the Balrog was incredible.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 02:42 PM   #49
KGamgee
Elven Warrior

Favorite Places
1. Moria
2. The Shire
3. Sneak peak in Mordor (chilling!!)
4. Weathertop
5. Lothlorien

Favorite Charachters as potrayed in the film.
1. Sam (So loyal, so cute)
2. Frodo (Different from the book, in a good way)
3. Pippin (So funny. I loved the look ib his face when he knocked everything into the well in Moria!)
4. Gandalf (Perfect)
5. Aragorn (Perfectly done)

Favorite Critters
1. Urak-Hai
2. Gollum
3. Watcher in the Water
4. Lurtz
5. Orks

Favorite scenes
1. Sam almost drowning and telling Frodo that he's going with him no matter what (I almost cried )
2. The Mines of Moria
3. Weathertop
4. Bilbo's Party (Did anoyone else he Rosie with Sam?)
5. The Prancing Pony
KGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 03:05 PM   #50
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

Fav Places:
1 Has to be the Shire, simply amazing, can't wait till the third movie when we see even more of it!
2 Moria - dark, forboding and everything it is in the book

Fav Characters:
1 Sam - need i say more!
2 Frodo - wonderful portral and lets hope it gets even better in the next movies
3 Bilbo, can't think of anyone else that would fit the part so well
4 Gandalf because I am pritty sure they did actually cast Gandalf as himself!
5 The whole of the Fellowship actually

Fav Scenes
1 The whole movie, no wait thats just a bit of a cop out so
1. Bilbos party
2. Bree - when thier in their beds and Sam does that gasp thing when the Black riders strike
3. Merry and Pipin appearing at the Council of Elron
4. Fool of a Took scene
5. Boromir teaching them to fight
6. The last fight with the tear jerker from Borimir
7. Frodo saving Sam!

Well I think that covers just about everything
Play Girl
xxx

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 03:06 PM   #51
coolismo
Enting

Nazgul

I am a lonely man...I am the only person who loathed that wretched movie. I have only just finished the Fellowship which I think is a great work of spiritual insight. So I went to the movie expecting some changes like omitting Tom Bombadill or the odd peripheral moment but this picture is simply not LOR. Every fight in the book has been extended and every subtelty reduced or eliminated. The mirror of Galadriel was so botched I laughed out loud. Surely the fact that Frodo is wearing the ring is crucial to the ending. Sam has to make a leap of faith into the waters not really knowing if his master is even there. The allegory, spiritual and dramatic tension of this scene was sliced off even more visciously than that dumb Urukhai's head. Not two stars for this, two advils maybe.
coolismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 03:20 PM   #52
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I could not disagree more wholeheartedly, coolismo, but definitely welcome to the Entmoot!
Old 01-07-2002, 04:16 PM   #53
Nibs Cotton
Sapling

Holy Cow Coolismo, I guess if you look at it as a interpretation exactly as the books,you could be that harsh,it left alot to be desired in that area.But I thought it was a very good movie overall.
Nibs Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 06:25 PM   #54
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Hmm...am I the only one who thinks the movie is in deserve of an Oscar? It's the only one in history that I have seen more than once in theater (three times, to be exact). And am I also the only one that thinks it has, though perceptively very different from the book, claimed the truth of Middle-Earth? Just because is wasn't written in the exact Tolkien words doesn't mean it's a shame to the book. If anything, it has turned out to be a visual & emotional stupending masterpiece from a slightly different point of view. Afterall, Peter Jackson isn't Tolkien himself, you see.

So, yes, I think this movie is deserve of the exact amount of praise as the book.

This were what I believe were the best things about it:

Favorite Details:
1. The one ring (mommy, I want one of those!)
2. The Mithril mail coat
3. The Sting's blue glow
4. The Argonath (just...wow)
5. Legolas' outfit (I *definitely* want one of those)

Favorite Places:
1. Lothlorien (*sighs...*)
2. Moria (*gasps!*)
3. Weathertop (*shudders...*)
4. Amon Hen & Parth Galen
5. The Prancing Pony Inn

Favorite Characters as potrayed in the film:
1. Frodo (I agree: Oscar)
2. Gandalf (I agree again: Oscar, too)
3. Boromir (his death made me cry...*sniff*)
4. Legolas (archery has never been so amazing)
5. Gimli (talk about tough)

Favorite Critters:
1. Nazgul (do they count?)
2. The Watcher (no, not Keanu Reeves...)
3. Orcs
4. Gollum (teehee )
5. The Balrog

Favorite Scenes:
1. Gandalf's fall
2. Boromir's death scene
3. Weathertop
4. Balin's tomb (when Frodo was 'thought' to have died)
5. When Boromir tried taking the ring from Frodo
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 08:39 PM   #55
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

No, Rogue Elf, you are NOT alone, at least you will have this Elven Warrior in the ranks right beside you.

This film is absolutely deserving of the "Best Film" Oscar. it is the best film I have ever seen, and I have seen it now for the fifth time. Next weekend, I will see it for the sixth.
Old 01-08-2002, 01:26 AM   #56
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Have to agree . . . the only complaint I have is Elrond kept reminding me of the evil program in the Matrix.
I loved Elijah Wood as Frodo, but more so after reading how he went after the role by having himself filmed dressed up in the woods reading Frodo's monologues from the book. It's great to know he wanted to do it as much as we wanted to see it. The actors all seem to appreciate what they've created, judging by the official site.
I feel different about this movie than any other . . I plan to see it again (guess I'm not the only one!) but that's something I never do -- I am the world's greatest cheapskate and always wait til it comes out in video to rent. But LOTR is different . . . I think it's because Mr Jackson and Tolkien have created a world that we would all love to live in, where valor is rewarded, honor and loyalty exist, and great evil can be conquered by steadfast perseverance. But what I think is that the world really is that way, it's just that Americans have gotten cynical and haven't seen it that way for a long time. Maybe now that cynicism has fallen out of style after 9/11, LOTR will help give us the impetus we need to regain our national integrity . . . it's just a movie, but it seems to be an influential one.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 09:04 AM   #57
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Entlover
But LOTR is different . . . I think it's because Mr Jackson and Tolkien have created a world that we would all love to live in, where valor is rewarded, honor and loyalty exist, and great evil can be conquered by steadfast perseverance. But what I think is that the world really is that way, it's just that Americans have gotten cynical and haven't seen it that way for a long time. Maybe now that cynicism has fallen out of style after 9/11, LOTR will help give us the impetus we need to regain our national integrity . . . it's just a movie, but it seems to be an influential one.
That's true, it's pretty influential over here, but I sure am one person who has always seen the world that way. Even if September 11th was my birthday, I still don't feel the need to lose my faith and hope of people because of such an incident. If anything, it should've opened our eyes, but Americans are intent to keeping them closed. This movie should really have an impact on our country, and I really hope that it does.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 10:48 AM   #58
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue Elf
Hmm...am I the only one who thinks the movie is in deserve of an Oscar?
Favorite Critters:
1. Nazgul (do they count?)
Oh you are not alone in that opinion on this board, that's for sure.

And yes, I would consider the Nazgul in the Fave Critter Category. They are not men any more....

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.

Last edited by Pailan : 01-08-2002 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:53 AM   #59
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
[B Might come to violence, depending how much beer is left...[wink!] Mix that with my Campbell clan side, and you got volatility on tap...American Balrog with an inexhaustible fuel supply! [/B]
Cool. But do you have wings?

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Old 01-08-2002, 11:38 AM   #60
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Excellent posting, enlover, and welcome to the Moot!

Rogue Elf, I do believe the spirit of Morgoth still lives on in our world, in the background and in many guises, but still fell and dangerous, and that there are "Ringbearers" out there among us in our daily lives who fight the good fight, whether it be in the true arena of combat or in the arena of daily living. They show us the Way, live as examples of the Light of Valinor, and hold back the Nazgul who are all too ready to lunge out at us and waylay us as we travel the Road to whatever destination is before us. We all have a Gandalf or two in our lives, if we will simply seek him out, and have the sense to listen to him when we sit together in the darkness of our own Morias, despairing of the blackness, and yearning for the light of Lothlorien.

Honor, valor and loyalty are STILL the coin of the realm, though it is dearly held and dribbled out in stingy drabs at times. We all have our moments as Boromir, falling in our duties and oaths but in the end redeeming ourselves by virtue of our actions when the chips are down. This is one of the most beautiful lessons of hte Lord of the Rings, whether it be the books or the movie version. The lessons are still valid, and we NEEDED to re-learn this lesson, right at this time in our lives, at the threshhold of this, which will be the most turbulent century Man has faced. May we all take this lesson to our hearts and live it. Daily.

And no, Pailan, we American Cajun Balrogs ain't gots wings, we gots jet packs! LOL!