Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-03-2004, 02:50 PM   #41
Salquënòrëwen
Elven Warrior

Wow, I must really be a true-Southerner. You all are talking about what biscuts and gravy are, and I have it about every day for breakfast! I need to get outta the South...

Happy New Year!
Salquënòrëwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 11:55 PM   #42
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

Over here, biscuits are cookies - that's why I was confused... I was imagining hotdogs dipped in cookie dough or something!
You call mobiles 'cell phones' too, don't you? Odd. What about sweets, do you call them lollies like us or 'candy'? I know you call 'em chips, at least. Fush 'n' chups.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 12:28 AM   #43
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

What are you talking about! Cell phones, candy, french fries, bisquits.

In the USA....Mobiles are decorations you hang on the ceiling, made with wire and strings and stuff. Lollies??? "Lollipops" are hard candy on a stick that you suck on. Chips are bought in a bag, usually made from potatoes and generally way too thin and crispy to make at home. Biscuits are flakey dough circles, eaten with stew or gravy. Cookies are sweet, not bisquits, except when Khamul puts syrup on them! I've never been a bisquit eater, they kind of feel heavy in the stomach, course, I really don't get excited over bread period. Happy New year!
Old 01-05-2004, 12:38 AM   #44
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Tsk, tsk, Lizra. Where's your world knowledge?

Mobiles are decorations and cell phones. Lollies refers to all 'candy' except for maybe chocolate. (Lollipop? Odd name, never heard of that. ) Chips are your fries, as well as potato crisps.

But, as for our biscuits eaten with stew or gravy....*shudders uncontrollably* Our biscuits are your cookies. (But we have cookies too).

[/Aussie word lecture]
Old 01-05-2004, 01:35 AM   #45
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
You call mobiles 'cell phones' too, don't you? Odd. What about sweets, do you call them lollies like us or 'candy'? I know you call 'em chips, at least. Fush 'n' chups.
You know, when I'm on the internet, since the majority of people are American, I will write 'cell phone' instead of 'mobile phone' or 'cookie' instead of 'biscuit' or 'SUV' instead of '4WD'. Just so there's no misunderstanding. I try not to let any Aussie slang creep in...but it's difficult.

*imagines Tim Tams and gravy*
Old 01-05-2004, 03:02 AM   #46
Ruinel
Banned

Sorry this is rather late, but I was camping in the desert with no electricity, running water or toilets on New Year's Eve through Friday (and before that, in the Texas Hill Country from Monday till New Year's Eve). My friend and I stayed up drinking rum, playing card and getting goofy until we were tossing cards and giggling in the tent. So, no Mooting for me that night. Anyway, happy New Year to all the Mooters.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 03:16 AM   #47
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by cassiopeia
You know, when I'm on the internet, since the majority of people are American, I will write 'cell phone' instead of 'mobile phone' or 'cookie' instead of 'biscuit' or 'SUV' instead of '4WD'. Just so there's no misunderstanding. I try not to let any Aussie slang creep in...but it's difficult.
You better not have aussie slang creep in on your posts - because we rule the world and the only valid words are American.

Speaking of mobile. I called up my "cousin" in Australia around Christmas time. He was on the net and I got the voicemail. On it it said "For Darren's mobile #### and for so and so's mobile ####" It took me awhile (three calls and getting the voicemail) to realize his father was saying "mobile". It sounded like "my bom".

And Lizra - I like biscuits with margarine.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-05-2004 at 03:19 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 03:26 AM   #48
Ruinel
Banned

biscuits with cream gravy (or cream gravy with sausage) is great!
Old 01-05-2004, 03:43 AM   #49
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Yep, we call cell phones that.... Although Mobile does creep in from time to time. And we call sweets "Lollies". Never candy. Feesh 'n cheeps.

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
It sounded like "my bom".
Which just sounds like "My BUM" *snicker*
Old 01-05-2004, 05:26 AM   #50
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Happy New Year, everyone. May your taters grow big and bulbous in 2004.

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Aha! I am familiar with something similar that the brits do with sausages in bread or something - can't remember what they call them, something like pigs in a blanket....
Are you thinking of "toad in the hole"? Which always sounded like a Hollywood celebrity party game to me, but there you go.

We saw in the New Year with a bit of a shoogle, a massive snowball fight and a week-long celebration. This is the first time I've looked at a computer since before Xmas. Hoot!
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 06:10 AM   #51
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
You better not have aussie slang creep in on your posts - because we rule the world and the only valid words are American.

... It took me awhile (three calls and getting the voicemail) to realize his father was saying "mobile". It sounded like "my bom".
No...it probably wasn't his accent, but your lack of hearing.
I've just been informed that they use 'chips' in Hebrew too, not fries. Dang fries.

Aww, ya should just stop whingeing and stop bagging the Austraaaylian way, mate. Just bung a snag on the barbie, ya know, sit back and have a cuppa and she'll be right, love.

Cassie, Tim Tams and gravy is just about the most disgusting thing I've ever heard of. *Shudders* Or would Tim Tams and Vegemite be worse?

Edit: If you Americans call chips fries, what do you call 'fish and chips' then? Fish and fries?

Last edited by Linaewen : 01-05-2004 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:43 AM   #52
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:

Edit: If you Americans call chips fries, what do you call 'fish and chips' then? Fish and fries?
americans generally dont eat french fries with their fish. if the fish happens to be deep fried (do you guys EVER eat fish broiled or poached or in stews or soups? ) we eat cole slaw or hush puppies (dont ask) or something. if we are eating the traditional UK style "Fish & Chips" then wed still call it fish and chips in the same way you call kung pao chicken "kung pao chicken" and not "chinese chicken with peanuts". But then we would never eat anything off a newspaper here.

Now whats all this talk of biscuits for new years? everyone knows the real tradition is ham hocks and black eyed peas. Although this year I cooked a whole pork shoulder with baked beans instead. i got back home too late to soak the black eyed peas.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Last edited by Insidious Rex : 01-05-2004 at 10:45 AM.
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 11:38 AM   #53
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Now whats all this talk of biscuits for new years? everyone knows the real tradition is ham hocks and black eyed peas. Although this year I cooked a whole pork shoulder with baked beans instead. i got back home too late to soak the black eyed peas.
oh, no... not biscuits and gravy for New Year's... it's for breakfast.

I don't care for ham hocks, but I love my black eyed peas... its a tradition in the South to have black eyed peas on New Year's day.

The tradition of eating black eyed peas (aka "cowpeas") in a dish called "Hopping John" on New Year's Eve originated in Vicksburg, Virginia during the Civil War.

Vicksburg was under seige from the Northern army for over a month (40 days). During this time, the Northern army burned the crops and stole the livestock in hopes that the town would soon surrender. (A technique that was employed a lot by the Northern troops during the Civil War.) They left the weedy looking crop that was grown to feed livestock.

Because of the seige, the residence of the town ran out of food stores and began to starve. They had to turn to the livestock feed to survive. If you had "cowpeas" to eat during the seige, you were considered "lucky". The battle was lost but those that had "cowpeas" didn't starve.

The story spread throughout the South and became a tradition to eat black eyed peas on the January 1st.

Personally, I like blackeyed peas and cornbread, sometimes with greens. I didn't have any this year, though I have every New Year's Day for all my life. I don't really believe in all that luck stuff anyway.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:51 PM   #54
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Biscuits are flakey dough circles, eaten with stew or gravy. ... I've never been a bisquit eater, they kind of feel heavy in the stomach, course, I really don't get excited over bread period.
Oh, are you guys missing out!!!

My family's favorite food is my homemade Southern biscuits (a recipe from my grandmother, who was from Georgia - one of the southern US states) with lots of butter and honey!

Also they are good with butter and my mom's homemade apricot jam.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 01:53 PM   #55
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Personally, I like blackeyed peas and cornbread, sometimes with greens. I didn't have any this year, though I have every New Year's Day for all my life. I don't really believe in all that luck stuff anyway.
Another greens eater - yay! Turnip, or what?

We like blackeyes peas with pickle relish (my mom's homemade stuff - POTENT!) and also greens with pickle relish. Great Southern cookin'.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 01-05-2004, 02:11 PM   #56
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
americans generally dont eat french fries with their fish. if the fish happens to be deep fried (do you guys EVER eat fish broiled or poached or in stews or soups? ) we eat cole slaw or hush puppies (dont ask) or something.
True! Fish and french fries doesn't seem like a mandatory combination. Coleslaw, yum! The perfect companion with fried fish! Hush puppies "Don't ask" is right! We always gave them to the dog, but now my young son likes them! I hope they don't damage him!
Old 01-05-2004, 02:36 PM   #57
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
True! Fish and french fries doesn't seem like a mandatory combination. Coleslaw, yum! The perfect companion with fried fish! Hush puppies "Don't ask" is right! We always gave them to the dog, but now my young son likes them! I hope they don't damage him!
I love hush puppies!!!! from Long John Silvers!!! YUMMY!!!!!...they serve french fries with their fried fish there too
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 02:45 PM   #58
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Arien the Maia
I love hush puppies!!!! from Long John Silvers!!! YUMMY!!!!!...they serve french fries with their fried fish there too
YES... and they call those fries... 'chips'!

Hah! When I was a kid, I thought the'chips' of their 'fish and chips' were the little crispy things that came with the fish - must've been fried pieces of batter or something (they used to heap them on... but later they held back a bit more).
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 03:59 PM   #59
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
Another greens eater - yay! Turnip, or what?

Whatever is put on my plate.
Quote:
We like blackeyes peas with pickle relish (my mom's homemade stuff - POTENT!) and also greens with pickle relish. Great Southern cookin'.
Have you ever had them cold with tortilla chips in a dish called Texas Caviar? It's very good.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:56 PM   #60
Rían

Yes, I have - I LOVE it, but the kiddos don't, so I don't get it too often.