Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-19-2003, 11:28 PM   #41
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Wow - you seem to have really come around.

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
been to six flags great adventure many times - just not recently - and ive never been on any of the coasters.....nitro looks scary.
Nitro isn't that bad. Once you go down the big drop it just feels like your flying. It takes forever though the drop - 230 feet and if you're in the front car you can't see the track - it looks like your going straight down. You should try it though.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 01:35 PM   #42
jerseydevil

This is a video of Nitro - at Great Adeventure. 230ft high - 80+ mph - Nitro. It's an awesome rollercoaster.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 08-27-2003, 09:56 PM   #43
gdl96
the greg the admin

Front row Nitro is the greatest roller coaster experience I've ever had.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 10:44 PM   #44
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by gdl96
Front row Nitro is the greatest roller coaster experience I've ever had.
Front row Nitro is awesome - but I like the back the best. It has that kick on the camelbacks.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 08-28-2003, 11:07 AM   #45
Bridgette
Enting

Wonderland is the closest park near me. I'm not exactly....... brave, when it comes to rollercoasters, but i will go on most things. I don't like the wooden ones. They always give me really bad headaches, which won't go away for the rest of the day. I prefere the spinning rides to rollercoasters.

Last edited by Bridgette : 08-28-2003 at 11:11 AM.
Bridgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 11:35 AM   #46
Ruinel
Banned

I like all rollercoasters, wooden or steel.

The wooden rollercoasters have that 'oh $h!^!!! It's going to fall apart any minute now' feeling. I like it when they sway 6 feet from their original position when you round a bend, and shake as you accelerate down an incline. The Texas Cyclone at Astroworld, in Houston, Texas, was first introduced in 1976. It was designed after the Coney Island Cyclone, but is taller (heights to 93 ft) and faster (reaching speeds to 65 mph). They will not let you on the last 2 cars unless you are at least 60" tall. Shake it, baby! Shake it!

There is also a steel rollercoaster there that I enjoy, The Serial Thriller, where your feet dangle and you are suspended from above. It reaches a height of 102 feet, but only reaches speeds to 55 mph. However, what it doesn't make up for in speed, it makes up for in clothoid loops and corkscrews (there are 5 inversions on this ride).

I went to Islands of Adventure (the sister park of Universal Studios), in Orlando, Florida, this summer. I rode every rollercoaster several times over.

The Hulk, a newer addition to the park (a steel 'coaster), was an awesome ride. There is a short movie in either Quicktime or Windows Media Player here

There's also another two steel 'coasters that run simultaneously called Dueling Dragons. One is Fire Dragon and the other is Ice Dragon, each is a different ride. At some point in the ride you do a vertical loop where your feet are flung at the people in the other 'coaster. It's a lot of fun. Another movie is here

I believe the Spiderman ride (though not really a rollercoaster) is the best 3-D ride I've ever been on.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 12:22 PM   #47
Agalayth
Elven Warrior

I've never been to Six Flags, but I've gone somewhere that people say is much better: Cedar Point in Ohio. It is home to the tallest rollercoaster in the world - the Dragster. 400 feet high, 120 miles per hour... I didn't go on it though. I'm too scared. Also, they have another cool rollercoaster that my brother went on. It's called the Millenium Force - 300 feet high, 80 degree drop, I don't know how fast. Go to Cedar Point. It has 10 rollercoasters I think, and they're all different shapes and sizes. It's really fun, but also really expensive....
Old 08-28-2003, 12:32 PM   #48
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Agalayth
... Cedar Point in Ohio. ...- the Dragster. 400 feet high, 120 miles per hour... another... It's called the Millenium Force - 300 feet high, 80 degree drop, ....
*drool*
Old 08-28-2003, 08:02 PM   #49
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
I've never been to Six Flags, but I've gone somewhere that people say is much better: Cedar Point in Ohio. It is home to the tallest rollercoaster in the world - the Dragster. 400 feet high, 120 miles per hour... I didn't go on it though. I'm too scared. Also, they have another cool rollercoaster that my brother went on. It's called the Millenium Force - 300 feet high, 80 degree drop, I don't know how fast. Go to Cedar Point. It has 10 rollercoasters I think, and they're all different shapes and sizes. It's really fun,
I agree. It blows away any other amusement park. you can spend the entire day going on different rides theres so many. hadnt even heard about this dragster ride. thats insane. didnt they JUST open the millenium force just like a few years ago? went on that one and that one was enormous. the cedar point site says this new on takes you from 0 to 120 mph in 4 seconds... and drops you 400 feet while covering 270 degrees. wonder how many people have passed out from the G forces so far?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 10:40 AM   #50
Agalayth
Elven Warrior

The thing about the Dragster is it's not really a rollercoaster, it's just basically going up and going down - really really fast! My brother and uncle were in line for like an hour and a half, and the ride's only like 22 seconds! It's pretty crazy, but it was my brother's favorite thing in the park (he did it twice). Me? I just stuck to the smaller rollercoasters like the Gemini and Mean Streak....
Old 09-15-2003, 12:08 AM   #51
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
... My brother and uncle were in line for like an hour and a half, and the ride's only like 22 seconds! ....
Just curious, but does that park have a singles line? If the park has a singles line, the wait isn't so bad.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:08 AM   #52
Indril Anarion
Elven Warrior

Re: Amusement Park and Roller Coasters

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I was wondering how many people are into amusement parks and in particular roller coasters. I'm going through roller coaster withdrawal right now.

The largest regional amusement park in the US - Great Adventure - is a half hour from where I live and now I can't go there until they reopen in March.

They have on their website though - an animated video of their new roller coaster they're building Superman: Ultimate Flight. It looks cool. You ride it head first. My favorite two are currently Medusa and Nitro. Nitro is 230ft high and the first drop is 215ft almost straight down and goes 80+ mph.

Can't wait until opening day - I need to be one of the first on Superman. For the time being, I guess I'll have to content myself with watching the Nitro and Superman videos that I downloaded.

Great Adventure also has the largest drive thru safari outside of Africa and Hurricane Harbor - a huge water park.
I LOVE amusment parks.....and rollercoasters are my fav rides! Unfortuneatley, there are no permanent amusement parks where I live and closest one is like 4 hours away, not to mention expensive (Disney World & Universal Studios). However, we do have a fair that comes once a year and I ride all the thrill rides! So much fun! My family are all chickens, except for my uncle..so I ride a lot for rides either alone or with him...and soemtimes if I luck out, my sis will ride with me...lol

Rollercoasters RULE!
-Gandalf, FOTR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Nobody tosses a Dwarf."
- Gimli, FOTR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Save Ferris!!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My true Elven name is Idril Anarion, but I misspelled in the username, and now I can't fix it... Oh, well...now you know...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't be afraid of death....Be afraid of the unlived life- Tuck Everlasting
Indril Anarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 05:41 PM   #53
Macka
Hobbit

I've only been to Great america two times. That was about six years ago, and I couldn't go on many rides. I loved roller coasters, thugh. I wish we went to places like that more often, but we can't.
In God we trust, In God we trust
The people of the nation let me hear you give a holler
In God we trust, In God we trust
We stamp it on our penny, nickel, dime, quarter, dollar
In God we trust, In God we trust"

~Pillar "Indivisible"
Macka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 09:00 PM   #54
jerseydevil

Great Adventures is closing down for the year this weekend. I didn't even get to go to frightfest or anything.

Now I have to wait till April/May next year and I don't even have my season pass for 2004 yet.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-01-2003, 11:37 PM   #55
gdl96
the greg the admin

I had plans to go this weekend, but they fell through.

I only went once this year. Damn. I only rode Nitro 3 times.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 06:45 PM   #56
jerseydevil

Actually ended up going to Great Adventure for the last day of the season and got my 2004 season pass. Went on Nitro twice, Medusa and about 4 other rides. Only stayed for 3 hours - so didn't go on too much and I also had to get my pass. At least I'm a little bit happier about having gone one last time before going ito winter withdrawal.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-03-2003, 06:11 PM   #57
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

I rode my first roller coater a couple of weeks ago at Carowins.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:36 PM   #58
jerseydevil

Well today was opening day for Great Adventure - and not only that it was season pass holders only. It was drizzly and chilly - and basically empty. A great time to go.

I first went on Medusa - rode that back to back. Then went on the Runaway Train. It's cool having a roller coaster ALL to yourself. Then I went on American Scream Machine - rode that back to back. I went on the new Spongebob Squarepants 3-D virtual ride (for those who go to GA - it's where Dino Island was). After that I headed over to Nitro for back to back fun there dropping down to 230 feet at 80+ mph - AWESOME All that inside of only TWO hours. Got there a little after 6:00 and got off Nitro about 8:00. Then I walked around and they started closing up the rides. I was going to go on Nitro a third time, but then they ran into a problem and didn't know when it would be fixed. So I headed down to Medusa one last time, but they started closing up the park before I got there.

It was awesome - and even though my cousin wasn't able to go and I went by myself - I had a great time.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide