Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-13-2003, 11:41 AM   #41
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by RosieCotton
Me too! I definitely agree. The ending is really bittersweet, but I can't think of a better way to end it. I think that ending would be better than if Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin just waltzed into the Shire and they all lived happily ever after until the end of their days.

Rosie
BTW, Have you read appendix B of ROTK? It is a chronology of what happens after the end of ROTK proper and what happens to Sam, Merry, Pippin, Aragorn, and Faramir. Pull out your hankies...

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 01-13-2003 at 11:44 AM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 04:25 PM   #42
Elf Girl
Lurker

I think the ending is very good, of a piece with the rest of the books.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 07:39 PM   #43
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

The ending of LotR is (at least) one of the best endings I've ever read in a book. In my opinion, sacrifice adds an enormous element to a story, and makes it much, much better.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 11:11 AM   #44
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
BTW, Have you read appendix B of ROTK? It is a chronology of what happens after the end of ROTK proper and what happens to Sam, Merry, Pippin, Aragorn, and Faramir. Pull out your hankies...
Yes, I have, and thank goodness that was there! I loved the end of the story, with "Well, I'm back," but I think that reading the appendix gave more of a closure. Sort of like in movies when they end it, but then they bring up text on the screen to say what happened to all of the characters.

Rosie
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 06:48 PM   #45
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
Shh, people are looking at this that haven't finished.
Ooops.Sorry. But I assumed as this whole thread was about the ending, I didn't have to worry about the silly spoiler thread.

No one read my 1st post if you haven't read the book!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 04:09 PM   #46
Eothain
Enting

LOTR

I totally agree with you.

Where is the hand on the harpsting, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?

They have past like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.

Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning, or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

Frodo lives
Eothain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 04:34 PM   #47
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

I love the ending of the series, it is sad, but it isn't depressing, just sad. The only depressing part is that it is over with. Done. No more of the "main" series to read. And then you want to read it agian. So you do. And agian. And then you start The Sil., and so it isn't to bad after all, there is still more to read, just not from that part of the History of ME, other then the apendix, that was written by Tolkien.

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 04:00 PM   #48
ElfFriend
Sapling

Did NE1 else notice that Beregond dies in the war of the ring and then comes back to life in the end of the book
ElfFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 04:27 PM   #49
Elf Girl
Lurker

What? Beregon didn't die, did he?
Old 01-18-2003, 04:30 PM   #50
Elvedans
Diamond Of The Night Sky

Beregond does NOT die. He spends most of the war defending Faramir after Denethor's madness.
Elvedans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 04:56 PM   #51
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ElfFriend
Did NE1 else notice that Beregond dies in the war of the ring and then comes back to life in the end of the book
I don't remember him dying... When was that?
Old 01-18-2003, 05:02 PM   #52
Elf Girl
Lurker

Can you clarify, ElfFriend? It seems several people don't believe you...
Old 01-18-2003, 05:55 PM   #53
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by ElfFriend
I think he might mean when Pippin and Beregond are attacked in front of the Black Gate, this is what is written in that chapter:

"Like a storm they broke upon the line of the men of Gondor, and beat upon helm and head, and arm and shield, as smiths hewing the hot bending iron. At Pippin's side Beregond was stunned and overborne, and he fell; and the great troll-chief that smote him down bent over him, reaching out a clutching claw; for these fell creatures would bite the throats of those that they threw down.

Then Pippin stabbed upwards, and the written blade of Westernesse pierced through the hide and went deep into the vitals of the troll, and his black blood came gushing out. He toppled forward and came crashing down like a falling rock, burying those beneath him. Blackness and stench and crushing pain came upon Pippin, and his mind fell away into a great darkness."

That is from Return of the King, the chapter "The Black Gate Opens" that part is on the last page of the chapter.

When I first read that I thought they both died, I mean when it says "and the great troll-chief that smote him down" sounds like death to me, however I was pleasantly surprised later on
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 12:38 PM   #54
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Strider

Quote:
"Like a storm they broke upon the line of the men of Gondor, and beat upon helm and head, and arm and shield, as smiths hewing the hot bending iron. At Pippin's side Beregond was stunned and overborne, and he fell; and the great troll-chief that smote him down bent over him, reaching out a clutching claw; for these fell creatures would bite the throats of those that they threw down.

Then Pippin stabbed upwards, and the written blade of Westernesse pierced through the hide and went deep into the vitals of the troll, and his black blood came gushing out. He toppled forward and came crashing down like a falling rock, burying those beneath him. Blackness and stench and crushing pain came upon Pippin, and his mind fell away into a great darkness."
I remember when I read this part of Return of the King I thought Pippen bought it under the Troll to for a bit.

I dont remember Beregond getting killed. I do remember he in the thick of the battle.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:31 PM   #55
The Lady of the Wood
Enting

Strider

i loved em, but i also thought the ending was kinda sad and kinda happy.ive read it twice, too

Quote:
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost,
The old that are strong do not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring!
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be King!

Òevil will always triumph, because good is dumb.Ó

-darth helmet

donÕt count on me to let you know when.donÕt count on me, ill do it again. dont count on me, the point youre missing, donÕt count on me, cause im not listening.

Òyou insult me with your presenceÓ
The Lady of the Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:56 PM   #56
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowdog
I dont remember Beregond getting killed. I do remember he in the thick of the battle.
He doesn't get killed, he fell with Pippin and they found them later. He is later appointed as a soldier under Faramir in Ithilien...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 04:09 PM   #57
Gamigar
Elven Warrior

Gandalf

yah. the ending was pretty sad. i never actually wanted it to end.
Gamigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 06:06 PM   #58
Elvedans
Diamond Of The Night Sky

The end of ROTK leaves me feeling heartbroken and desolate and wanting the old days to come back when middle earth was filled with elves and i am torn apart by the reluctance to read it and make myself cry and the feeling that i have to read it otherwise the story will be incomplete, which is even worse. It is very bitter-sweet, which i think sums up the whole feeling of middle earth.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:13 AM   #59
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

I LOVED the ending. It's magnificent. Personally, i love both bittersweet and happy endings. If a 'sad' ending is done so well that there would be no better alternative, then i like it better than a happier ending. I don't know about anyone else, but I can't imagine LotR having a different ending and still maintaining the quality the original has. Though, it's probably just me.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 04:53 PM   #60
Elvedans
Diamond Of The Night Sky

I wouldn't want a different ending, it suits the book perfectly. Anyway, tolkien couldn't help it because he was only telling us what really happened.