Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-02-2003, 02:34 PM   #41
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Just a thought:
Is it okay by law to buy a coffin for yourself? I mean, before you're dead, just as a decoration in your living room for instance. Or do you need some sort of proof that the box will be buried with a dead relative in it?
Old 05-02-2003, 03:15 PM   #42
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Bombadillo
Just a thought:
Is it okay by law to buy a coffin for yourself? I mean, before you're dead, just as a decoration in your living room for instance. Or do you need some sort of proof that the box will be buried with a dead relative in it?
You can buy yer own coffin...........yer can even make it yerself if ya want to.........it doesn't have to be any specific design or spec (usually helps if the bottom is on solid tho'...........bad form if the body falls out while it is being lowered).

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 06:12 PM   #43
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

I'm going to have a grand coffin fit for a king, and my remains will be kept in a castle tomb somewhere. Like Napoleon, or some of the Prussian kings...

I plan on having a state burial, too.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 01:26 AM   #44
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Hasty Ent
Sheeana is right (as usual )... Although in the USA it may vary from state to state.
I've never heard about having to buy a coffin. There's no reason for it if the body is being cremated. You have to buy an urn though - or supply your own.

It might be some stupid blue law thing that a funeral home may take advantage of. Coffins used to be required because the body would eventually rise out of the ground - especially if it was wet soil and stuff like New Orleans. In New Orleans that's why they store the bodies above ground - because the coffins used to even rise out of the ground.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 01:37 AM   #45
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheeana
Don't look at me, I don't know. I guess part of it is because people like to view the body of the deceased before the cremation takes place. My grandma's funeral was exactly like that of a burial: church, service, lots of pointless singing, viewing her in the coffin, etc, before the cremation took place.

Cremation FAQ
That's the UK - I don't think it's the same here or in Canada. From what I've seen here - they put the body on a metal grill and slide it into the creamtorium. Then they start the furnace.

In terms of needing a coffin for the funeral - you can just use a board and lie the body out on that.

I'll have to ask my friend in Canada - because her grandfather was cremated.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-03-2003, 01:47 AM   #46
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
well i dont think grief is waisted. its all a part of the mourning process. perfectly normal. its kind of silly to worry about whats going to happen to your body after you die. funerals are not for the dead. they are for the living. thats why coffins are important to people. you have something physical to identify. a little urn can only give the mourners so much. funerals are never about the dead. they are about providing a setting for shared social grief. why do you think irish wakes are so much fun.
I agree. It was surreal looking for a casket for my mother. We felt the pillows, needed the color, the metal had to look right. The weird thing was actually feeling how soft the pillow was and how soft the lining on the inside was. It was like buying a new car or something.

Italian funerals can also be fun. After our family funerals everyone attending the funeral is invited to have dinner at an italian restuarant. We rent out one of the banquet halls and everyone gets to eat, joke and talk.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-03-2003, 07:06 PM   #47
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
I'm going to have a grand coffin fit for a king, and my remains will be kept in a castle tomb somewhere. Like Napoleon, or some of the Prussian kings...
I wonder if you know, Napolean had his Napolean Minor cut off after he died. At least I've read that in a few places.

I don't really care what happens to me after I die. I'll be dead. I won't complain. But if I'm creamated, I wouldn't really want anyone to keep my ashes. Just brush me under the rug.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:15 PM   #48
jerseydevil

Quote:
I don't really care what happens to me after I die. I'll be dead. I won't complain. But if I'm creamated, I wouldn't really want anyone to keep my ashes. Just brush me under the rug.
I want to be spread on the Princeton Campus by Nassau Hall, spread along the New Jersey shore, along with several other places in NJ and then finally flown to Oregon and spread on the summit of Mt Hood.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 05-03-2003, 07:59 PM   #49
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
I wonder if you know, Napolean had his Napolean Minor cut off after he died. At least I've read that in a few places.
He was dead, so he couldn't very well, now could he?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote