yes, it's called a description of the perpetrator 4 50.00%
no, its too encompassing 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2005, 04:30 PM   #41
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
As for tea, it's the answer to every other problem, so why not terrorism as well?
Darn right! That's why I thought it deserved a mention.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:32 PM   #42
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Couldn't mention it enough! No one can.
*sends big case of special, home-made tea to London*
Old 07-08-2005, 04:33 PM   #43
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

If youve ever had the chance to see the movie Hope and Glory about England during the blitzkrieg you will get a wondeful view of just how strong and durable the English are during a time of utter chaos and enormous risk. One of the best movies ever made. Four bombs is something you shrug off when you grew up having your neighborhood bombed from the air every night for months.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 04:39 PM   #44
trolls' bane

Well, if the terrorists know that, they are fools for wasting four bombs. At any rate, they did an utterly poor job at scaring the people in London, then.
*smacks terrorist with giant tea bag*
It's almost more of a tradgedy in California than it seems to even be effective in London. Some guy on the news was making all of these jokes despite the fact the left part of his face was covered in blood. He didn't seem to notice, he was just glad to be on TV .
Old 07-08-2005, 04:47 PM   #45
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Like I say, people are putting a brave face on it, but that doesn't mean they aren't very shocked and hurt by what's happened. Sometimes other countries don't understand the British sense of humour and they think it means we don't care, but of course we do.

Totally agree with you IR. Other similarly great wartime movies which really encapsulate this attitude are Mrs Miniver, about life in the Home Counties during the war, and A Canterbury Tale, where you can see the effect of bombing on Canterbury. They're propaganda, but by giving people an ideal to live up to they become reality, and I do think they represent a lot of the truth about 'the Blitz spirit'.

Last edited by sun-star : 07-08-2005 at 04:48 PM.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 04:50 PM   #46
Mercutio

Quote:
As for tea[...]
Bucks you up, what?

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 04:54 PM   #47
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Right-o, on all occasions
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:30 PM   #48
inked
Elf Lord

I am very grateful that all Mooters are thus far all right and not injured. I certainly hope (and pray) that will remain the status. I agree that the TV interviewees have done a superb job of maintaining and displaying the characteristic British humour, reserve, and stoicism - which is the virtue of courage!

My prayers are with those who were killed and injured, their families and friends, and the leaders who must respond.

As an American, I can empathize with the multitude of emotions expressed because of the events of 9/11. One's emotions run the entire gamut of fear to rage. No doubt the courage is still there! I think the response will be very like that to Churchill's call to fight the Third Reich. What needs to be done will be done - at the appropriate time and place.

And the tea will certainly assist the process! (As a Southerner, though, may I have mine iced, pleased?!)

Thanks be God none of you were harmed!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 10:20 PM   #49
The Wizard from Milan
Elven Warrior

I am very shocked. I am very sad for the victims and their relatives. And I am extremely angry with the terrorists.
In a sense, I can related to this attack more closely than to others because I had lived in Upper Woburn Place for one year, and the part of street that bears that name is so short that the bus must have exploded in front of my old doorstep.
I am looking forward to the day in which Al Queda is finally eradicated
The Wizard from Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:09 AM   #50
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Um, Spock, is your cap key stuck?

see post #69, et. al

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by Spock : 07-09-2005 at 12:19 AM. Reason: query
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:15 AM   #51
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Just a suggestion, but it might be nice if everyone just relaxed a moment and took a few deep breaths. Or go outside and scream until you feel better -- whatever works.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:17 AM   #52
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

..perchance to rest, perchance to dream a dream of peace......
Old 07-09-2005, 12:20 AM   #53
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Another fine option: contemplate what dreams may come when we have shuffled off this mortal coil.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 12:23 AM   #54
Elenwen06
Sapling

I know this is getting back to much earlier in this thread, but has anyone in London seen a tour of students from California? I think it's a People to People tour, or something like that. My best friend was going overseas, I don't remember where, but I think she said she was going to be in London around now and I'm scared because I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere with no way of getting in touch with her and she doesn't have my address. Maybe she's somewhere else, but I just want to make sure, you know? I've been following this thing on the news, and I'm scared for her. Thanks.

"This reminds me of the time Lady Galadriel gave me this stuff she called weed. I liked it. It reminded me of the first time I climbed a pine tree... naked!" --Legolas
Elenwen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 02:51 AM   #55
trolls' bane

I'm a bit confused with all of this, and I'm not sure I'm getting what everyone is saying (not because I don't understand, but there are too many opinions to keep up with). Therefore, I'm going to start myself on a completely seperate slate.
Terrorism is becoming a major problem, and either coincidentally or by fate, the "terrorists" we are speaking of all happen to belong to a particular race. Moreover, they all happen to beleive in the Islamic religion. We seem to forget that these terrorists think that what they are doing is right, and actually beleive it wholeheartedly, and this is at odds with their own religion: no religion glorifies killing. Therefore, from here on out remember that the reason they are terrorists because they are extremists, and they beleive that people of all other religions (and maybe even races?) are pure evil. So, these "terrorists" (or extremists) attack innocent people because they beleive that these innocent people [the majority of the "innocent people" (Americans and Europeans) are Christians and Jews (and all of the corresponding sects) and are as evil to them as they are to us]. Since their extreme version of Islam is probably much different from the more traditional sects of Islam.
--I know this is going absolutely nowhere, but I am sort of getting new thoughts as I'm typing.--

Anyway, all this to say that all religions have had extremists. Interesting that this point should come up: I was watching this interesting documentary on the History Channel about the Ku Klux Klan, who were and still are Christian extremists who not only disliked all other religions (mainly catholics and jews) and were in a sense terrorists as well. But look how some Americans thought of them. Let's see: they are continually reviving, they took control of Indiana for a few years, etc. etc. More likely than not, not a single American here would agree with a Klansmen, so the Muslim people obviously feel the same about these extremeists.

I could keep going, but I got to go.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:08 PM   #56
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Sorry to interrupt...

... but I thought Eärniel and Mercutio might be interested in this re:tea and tragedy

Coventry's Cup of Tea
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:33 PM   #57
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
... but I thought Eärniel and Mercutio might be interested in this re:tea and tragedy

Coventry's Cup of Tea
Thank you sun-star! It seems like drinking tea is a well-integrated step in coping with traumatic experiences on your side of the canal.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:41 PM   #58
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
By the way, the way I read this leaves me also hoping I was misunderstanding. It sounded to me like proposing of striking mass numbers of innocents in order to get at the guilty.
Spock, it sounds to me like you're saying we should smash the locals in places where terrorists are. It sounds to me like you think we should have dropped a bunch of nuclear bombs on Afghanistan rather then tackling the place with ground troops.
Gee what a great idea We could turn the whole country into a parking lot and multi-level mall. How about "kill 'em all and let Allah sort them out".
See, you can misinterpret things.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:43 PM   #59
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I'm for Sun-Star's suggestion, let's sit the rest of the day out with a cup o'tea and some scones.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:46 PM   #60
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Spock, you're gettin' em ALL riled up on the Moot!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote