Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-25-2002, 04:07 PM   #41
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

Wasnt Haldir Galadriel's husband man from LothLorien? If so, in the books what happened to him... did he sail in to the West with the Ringbearers...but wait, he wasn't a ringbearer.... did he go seperately than galadriel? or did he die or something...

WERE those lorien elves? I Loved their armour!
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 04:10 PM   #42
Fred Baggins
Belladona Gamgee of the night sky

Location: second star to the right and straight on till morning.
*shakes head* Celeborn is Galadreils husband. Haldir is just another elf. Well considering...
Fred Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 05:38 PM   #43
AngieBaggins
Hobbit

HALDIR IS NO MEAR (sp?) ELF!! He is the Guardian of the woods of Lothlorien! He is a great warrior and defends his people, and he CARES about his people!..... Plus he's really cute!! hehehe

She looked over the hall way doors, and noticed him there. It was odd, for she had never met anyone like him. And she never expected she would again.

Last edited by AngieBaggins : 12-25-2002 at 05:52 PM.
AngieBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 06:00 PM   #44
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

OOO YEAH..... Celeborn is Galadriel's husban man..... Haldir... wasnt he in the extended cut? I knew i recognized him i got him confused with celeborn
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 06:30 PM   #45
Fred Baggins
Belladona Gamgee of the night sky

Location: second star to the right and straight on till morning.
Chill girl! Sorry, I just never really liked Haldir, even before I saw the movie. But here let me correct meself.

"Haldir is the Gardian of the woods of Lothlorin"

That better?
Fred Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2002, 07:44 PM   #46
AngieBaggins
Hobbit

Lol, that's alright, hehe, you must excuse me at times, i change moods like the snap of a finger. I myself am a die hard Haldir fan. Unfortunately, i don't like the guy who plays him, he's only kinda cute. lol.

She looked over the hall way doors, and noticed him there. It was odd, for she had never met anyone like him. And she never expected she would again.
AngieBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 04:10 PM   #47
Amandil
Guy-who-should-come-here-more-often

Location: Alberta, in spirit -- Vlaanderen, in body (Canada? Never heard of it!)
The Elvish armour, as per usual, looked fricking ridiculous. Ever seen "the Rocketeer?" I'm surprised PJ didn't give the Elves jetpacks.

Don't get me started on the Southron/Haradrim-whatever-they-were-supposed-to-be armour, you know the guys at the Black Gate who (OH MY GOSH!) almost find Frodo and Sam after (OH MY GOSH!) slide down some scree (OH MY GOSH!).

"Why would you want to tamper with anything Tolkien did?" --Ralph Bashki

"Seeking self, I find nothing but myself, but in this I drink the cup of gall I really am. I want everything, and I may have everything, but I have nothing except what I have. What I have I know is not what will fulfill me, and I know this in the bitterness of satisfied desire. Everything I have is still not enough, and in getting everything I have, I have not myself, indeed what I have may have twisted what I am and might be into an image of my own possessions. I will to possess, but I end up possessed by what I possess." -- William Desmond (Ethics and the Between, p. 209-210)
Amandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 04:30 PM   #48
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

That scene needed some lions and tigers and bears, oh my!
squinteyedsoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 05:26 PM   #49
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

I don't know why Haldir brought a message from Elrond. Shouldn't the message be from Galadriel?
Old 12-27-2002, 01:36 AM   #50
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Very minor nitpick here: When Legolas sees the Uruk-Hai carrying Merry and Pippin, he says that they have turned North-East and are headed for Isengard. Wouldn't that have them headed in the general direction of Mirkwood? I think he meant that they had turned North-West.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 01:03 PM   #51
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

yay! i finally saw it yesterday! twice!

oh, wow i never thought about that until you pointed it out, khamul. your right, of course.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:53 PM   #52
Nariel
Elven Warrior

Location: In the custody of the Knights who say "Ni!" They want a shrubbery.
If they were headed in the direction of Mirkwood, I would have just let them go. I mean, if the spiders didn't get them, the Elves would have. . And if you're concerned about the hobbits, well, they've heard Bilbo's stories a hundred times and certainly know how he got around the spiders. And once they found the ELves all they would have to do is mention LEgolas and they'd have free reign. Just a little rabbit trail.

About Haldir, though... In the movie FotR, he was the one that said "A dwarf breathes so loudly we could have shot you in the dark." In the book FotR, he's the one that says Daro! When Legolas climbs the tree. One of my favourite parts, by the way.

Marketing Supervisor and Everything Girl for Entmoot's "Lord of the Rings"

Avatar Courtesy of "Ye Olde Avatare Shoppe"

Sounds like a job for... UBERGEEK!" (special thanks to Finrod Felagund!)

I try to make everyone's day a bit more surreal.

Funny Error Messages...
"Cannot find REALITY.SYS...Universe Halted."

"Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue..."

"Bad Command or File Name. Good try, though."

"WARNING: Keyboard Not Attached. Press F10 to Continue."

"I have a spelling checker
It came with my PC;
It plainly marks four my revue
Mistakes I cannot sea.
I've run this poem threw it,
I'm sure your pleased too no,
Its letter perfect in it's weigh,
My checker tolled me sew."
-Janet Minor

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
Nariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 06:34 AM   #53
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by squinteyedsoutherner
If the average life span of a man is 50, that would mean Gandalf is saying 15 000 years. The fact that the statement begins with the "grey pilgrim" term would lead me to believe that he is thus refering to his time in Middle Earth (I don't believe he was known as the grey pilgrim in Valinor). I don't see how this could be correct?
I don't think 'lives' means the full span - he's probably talking about 'generations', which tends to mean about 20 years or so, giving a rounded figure of about 6000 years.
Either that or he's referring to everyone he's killed...
Old 12-29-2002, 06:37 AM   #54
Gerbil
Elf Lord

At the black gates, both gates open to let in the army, but I only recall one closing - the other is shown to be closed about halfway through the scene.
[EDIT] Speaking of which, I don't find the idea of just 2 trolls opening that huge metal gate very likely. Especially when it boils down to one of them pulling on a few measly chains that'd probably snap immediately.

Bah, all your 'eyes' and 'people firing non-existant arrows' were first mentioned by me. I get no respect

Osgiliath - There's a shot that shows them approaching it, from what can only be either the south east or north west.
If they are coming from the south east they've somehow managed to cross the river and are going a looooong way round to get to it. If they are coming from the north west then somehow they are about to manage to cross the river right in front of Sauron's forces with a Nazgul.

Last edited by Gerbil : 12-29-2002 at 06:38 AM.
Gerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 11:54 AM   #55
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

I'm not sure Jackson meant generations, but even if he did, how can Gandalf have been in middle Earth for 6000 years. The silmarillion says

"Even as the first shadows were felt in Mirkwood there appeared in the west of Middle-Earth the Istari, whom men call wizards".

This is after the battle when Sauron loses the ring, which Jackson's Elrond (cause God knows it's not Tolkien's) refers to as being 3000 years ago.

Last edited by squinteyedsoutherner : 12-29-2002 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:55 AM   #56
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

But that's still way too long. I mean, he's only been here for about 2000 years, right?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 12:09 PM   #57
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

Gwaimir, I think we were posting at the same time!

Another mistake, I believe, is that Faramir is wearing the livery of the heirs of Elendil (the white tree, stars and crorwn). RoTK says that "and none wore it now in all of Gondor save the guards of the Citadel before the court of the fountain where the white tree had grown" Watch Faramir in Osgiliath, he's definitely wearing it.
Old 12-29-2002, 03:12 PM   #58
Gerbil
Elf Lord

RE: Gandalf's age:

Just put it down to another pointless and obvious error made by PJ for 'dramatic reasons'.

Remember! It's impossible for PJ to convert the books to film directly - he must butcher it and make it incomprehensible first!
Old 12-29-2002, 10:13 PM   #59
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Re: Gandalf age

Quote:
RE: Gandalf's age:

Just put it down to another pointless and obvious error made by PJ for 'dramatic reasons'.

Remember! It's impossible for PJ to convert the books to film directly - he must butcher it and make it incomprehensible first!
Gerbil,

Funny

I think you are correct about the Black Gate. Unless one door close before the other, but they open together.

Sincerely,
Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 10:32 PM   #60
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Sminty_Smeagol
Wasnt Haldir Galadriel's husband man from LothLorien? If so, in the books what happened to him... did he sail in to the West with the Ringbearers...but wait, he wasn't a ringbearer.... did he go seperately than galadriel? or did he die or something...

WERE those lorien elves? I Loved their armour!
I didn't see an answer to this; if there was one, sorry...

Celeborn ruled in East Lorien for a while after Galadriel left, and then he went over the Sea as well.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote