Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-15-2001, 11:13 PM   #41
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Okay, this question is going to sound very ... hmm ... well, dumb. Just remember, there are no dumb questions, just .. on second thought, there are dumb questions.

Are the Nine Walkers ever actually called the Fellowship in narrative? More often they are called the Company of the Ring, I don't recall a time when 'Fellowship' is used. Was 'Fellowship' used, then, because it might apply to the 'fellowship of the Ring' in Book I? This would be Frodo, Pippin and Sam before Crickhollow, and afterwards Merry would be a part, and the only permanent companions to Rivendell after that would be Aragorn and Glorfindel.

[rant=]I think the Lord of the Rings must be about the Lord of the Rings. Sauron, the Dark Lord. Because the romance is not called The Rings of the Lord, or The Rings of the Dark Lord, but the Lord of the Rings. Funny that, a 2000 + page story about a character who we never see in narrative -- except his spirit, once, briefly. If the Lord of the Rings is about Sauron, then maybe the Silmarillion ought to be about Melkor. Should the Quenta Silmarillion be called the Dark Enemy? He exists throughout the Quenta Silmarillion, unlike the Silmarilli themselves. Or maybe the book could be called The Enemy and the Jewels.[/rant]
Old 11-16-2001, 11:31 AM   #42
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Inoldonil
of the Rings. Sauron, the Dark Lord. Because the romance is not called The Rings of the Lord, or The Rings of the Dark Lord, but the Lord of the Rings. Funny that, a 2000 + page story about a character who we never see in narrative -- except his spirit, once, briefly.
Suppose the title refers to whom would in the end BECOME the Lord of the Rings, that is the final holder of the One of course? There were some different possibilities in the books. Like the Hobbits, Saruman, Boromir....

Or is this a DUMB suggestion...
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 01:35 PM   #43
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

No... that makes sense.
Old 11-16-2001, 04:03 PM   #44
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

Isn't Frodo called Lord of the Ring in the First book at Rivendell?
Play Girl
xxx

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2001, 04:05 PM   #45
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Yes. I believe it was pippen that said that. Right before gandalf flamed him.
Old 11-16-2001, 07:40 PM   #46
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

And Gandalf told Frodo at that point that Sauron was the Lord of the Ring, not Frodo. It's not a dumb suggestion, but no one else became the Lord of the Ring or the Lord of the Rings. It was Sauron, and then it was nobody (when the Ring was destroyed).
Old 11-16-2001, 11:51 PM   #47
Niphredoodah
Sapling

Are the Nine Walkers ever actually called the Fellowship in narrative? More often they are called the Company of the Ring, I don't recall a time when 'Fellowship' is used.

Does Aragorn say at Rauros, "What shall now become of our fellowship that has travelled so far together?"? Or is it " ... our company that has travelled so far in fellowship"? I'd have to look it up.