Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-25-2000, 05:46 AM   #41
Elbreth of Carhouth

Re: My favourites

I've thought of two more, don't know how I missed them the first time...

Lilacs, my favourite flower...
And woodsmoke
Old 10-06-2002, 02:28 AM   #42
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Hmmm... what an interesting topic.

Let's see... I love the smell of a new car, the smoke of burning leaves on a fall day, fresh cut grass, and rain. But I think the dirt smell that you get after plowing peanuts is probably my favorite. I guess that's just the farmboy in me.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 11:50 AM   #43
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

freshly washed sheets smell nice...and fresh pepper corn sauce. and fruit loops. that cereal smells good.
Old 10-06-2002, 12:08 PM   #44
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

OOOH! Khamul, I missed this, thanks for digging it up. I go straight for the primal sense of smell. Another way to "time travel"! I haven't read all of these, I will though. I have youngsters breathing down my back to "hurry up! mom" and get off the computer. I love the smell of my grandma (she's dead, but every now and again, I'll smell a smell that reminds me of her), Sometimes if you go upstairs in an old house, the second floor will have a warm from the rising heat smell, that is reminiscent of old days, third floors are even better! Also, babies heads, the baby scalp smell, especially "your baby", is heaven, puppy breath, that sweet happy smell of puppy chow, blown and licked all over your face by a wiggly puppy. I also like the smell of people I love, their signature scent, you know, my mother's perfume, (Paris), my husband, my little boy's "blankie" etc... mmmmmn, smells!
Old 10-06-2002, 02:39 PM   #45
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
OOOH! Khamul, I missed this, thanks for digging it up. I go straight for the primal sense of smell. Another way to "time travel"!
If I'm correctly smells can trigger a lot of memories.

As for me:

chocolate (off course! )
our spice cupboard: I don't know what sorts of spices are in there -I bet lots- and I certainly don't know their names in English but the combination of all those spices smell wonderful. It's difficult to describe. It reminds me of a warm summerday and the same time of a cosy hearthfire in winter.
our garden after rain: It's sweet and fresh at the same time and it's such a rare smell, you don't get it every downpour. Just once in a while.
my pillow: when I smell it, I remember all those hours I spend being smugly curled up in my warm cosy bed at mornings when the sun is making the curtains glow, especially those times when you don't have to mind the alarm clock.

sigh...*dreamy look*
Old 10-06-2002, 02:46 PM   #46
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

sweat
dirt
campfire
rain
bananas and/or oranges
any girl's hair
books (did you know that a newly opened deck of cards smells very similiar to a new book?)
my house (especially the basement)
new-car (I heard not too long ago that if you drive around too much in a new car with the windows rolled up, it can make you sick. Too many cleaning chemicals)

As a rule, I generally dislike any non-natural smell, like potpourri, air freshener, or cologne unless its covering up some other nasty smell.

Also, after working on a farm near my house a few years ago, I've become used to the stinky cow smell. It actually reminds me of that summer I worked there, which was kind of fun in a way.
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 03:31 PM   #47
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

"Nothing smells as good as a new book, especially if you get your nose right down in the binding, where you can still catch an acrid tang of the glue. The only thing close is the peppery smell of an old one. The odor of an old book is the odor of history, and for me, the look of a new one is still the look of the future." ~Stephen King

I couldn't agree more.

Other smells I love: freshly photocopied papers, my pillow (for the same reasons as you, Earniel!), warm cookies, my dog when she's just woken up from a nap (I know it sounds crazy but she just smells so wonderful!), Snuggle laundry sheets, vanilla, my Mango Mandarin body splash from Bath & Body Works, baby powder (the real stuff, not the scent that deodorants use), lemonade on a warm summer day, my favorite sheets when they've just been washed, Pleasures for men , apple cider/butter, Craker Barrel biscuits, curry and rice being cooked

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 05:06 PM   #48
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Mowed lawns, hair, *some* cooking smells, daffodils in spring (now!), the smell of the ocean after a storm, puppy smell, a good wine, that slightly tangy smell that men get combined with aftershave, my shampoo, freshly ground coffee beans, yeasty bread from the bakery, pine trees, my perfume (BLV), my folio copies of LOTR (!), a good balsamic vinegar (drool), fresh sheets and clothes just out of the wash, the spring buds on trees, tree sap, the smell of cows and cow manure....
Old 10-06-2002, 06:27 PM   #49
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
Hmmm... what an interesting topic.

Let's see... I love the smell of a new car, the smoke of burning leaves on a fall day, fresh cut grass, and rain. But I think the dirt smell that you get after plowing peanuts is probably my favorite. I guess that's just the farmboy in me.
Hey, Khamûl, mah daddy's frum Etlanna, Jawja (Atlanta, Georgia for those that can't speak southern ). There's lots of good smells over there from good Southern cookin'! I'll have to ask him if he has ever smelled the "plowed peanut" smell. I think my aunt knew a relation of Jimmy Carter's, speaking of peanut farms.

Do y'all over in Alabama use the expression "make a picture"? My aunt always says "y'all come over heah so I can make your picture next to your daddy". That expression always makes me smile. It may just be a generational thing, however, because she is in her 70's. BTW - I'm going to see "Sweet Home Alabama" in a few hours, I'll look for you Will you be wearing your black cloak, boots, etc. and riding your black horse, as usual?

BoP - the smell of cows and cow manure??? Why? Did you grow up around them? Now I would say I like horse smells, even horse manure doesn't smell bad to me (I've shovelled plenty of it) because I grew up around them, but I sure don't like cow smells!! Oh well, glad someone likes them, I'm sure you made many cows happy by your post! I kept my horse's halter for many years after I had to sell him, and would just occasionally smell it to bring back all the nice memories....

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-06-2002 at 06:33 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 06:29 PM   #50
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

One of the girls in my dorm has a bread maker...mmmmmm
I also love the musty smell of autum leaves
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 06:35 PM   #51
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Oh, bread - how did I not think of that!! Yum!! I have a great biscuit recipe from my Southern grandmother.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 07:18 PM   #52
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Aaah, the south, 'tis a wonderful place, no? My Yankee cousins from Misourri always make fun of me for saying y'all a lot, and I simply say that it's a perfectly legitimate word - you+all = y'all! It's a contraction! But anyway, back on topic...

I also like the smell of fall - the crisp leaves, the air turning cooler, it's wonderful! And the smell of new carpet - anyone else like that? I don't know why, it's just so fresh and crisp!

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 07:26 PM   #53
crickhollow

Lizra: I love the way babies smell, too
Old 10-06-2002, 08:09 PM   #54
BeardofPants
the Shrike

*Shrug* I just like the way cows smell. I didn't grow up on a farm or anything, but my parents had a lifestyle block, and sometimes we'd have cows. I love cows. They're big, and friendly. Generally. 'Cept when they used to chase my mother.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:19 PM   #55
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

Books, absolutely, inscense, candles, pine trees, walnuts, woddsmoke, HORSE!!!!, rain, apple pie, Leslie Barn smell (ok I know that doesn't make any sense but believe me it sure smells good!!!) uhh, steak smell, pizza, I guess the smell of my room, this great saddle cleaner stuff I had...

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 08:59 PM   #56
crickhollow

christmas trees, cinamon, spice cookies, hot cocoa, this neat herb tea I have called 'english toffee'
Old 10-06-2002, 11:19 PM   #57
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

lol Elenka, horses definitely, and i have this saddle soap that comes in this orange pot, it smells all lemony, i love that! I love the smell of my olive tree in the spring, lilacs, rain, fall, cloves and chai tea, and coffee, and my new pencil case, and pencil shavings...

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 02:04 AM   #58
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I really like the smell of petrol. I don't go and sniff it, but I really like getting a whiff at the petrol station. I also like the smell of my dog, the air just before it rains and yummy food. Sometimes I catch the smell of chicken or sasauges cooking and I think it smells yum and then I remember I don't eat meat.
Old 10-07-2002, 02:08 AM   #59
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Ugh. Chicken smells. Don't do anything for me since I've worked in KFC, and a supermarket churning out 100 of them a day. Yuck.
Old 10-07-2002, 03:13 AM   #60
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I like the smell of freshly cooked oatmeal or pancakes... Mmmmmm.....

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote