Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-18-2002, 11:38 AM   #41
Rei
Elven Warrior

Location: Hades....it's a tough job but someone's gotta do it
It was the same voice they used for Sauron so I think it was supposed to be symbolic of her touching the power of the ring and what she would have become if she took if from Frodo.

But I agree, it was very weird.
In Imladris it dwells;
There shall be counsels taken
Stronger than Morgul-spells.
There shall be shown a token
That doom is near at hand
For Isildur's Bane shall waken,
And the Halfling forth shall stand.

Last edited by Rei : 08-18-2002 at 11:40 AM.
Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 02:16 PM   #42
entss89
lord of the ents

Strider OHHHHHHHHHHHH MY GOODNESS!

THAT IS SO SAD IF SOMEONE SAW THE MOVIE FIRST BECAUSE I KNOW HOW GOOD THE BOOK WAS BUT IF YOU SEE THE MOVIE FIRST IT RUINS EVERYTHING! BUT DON'T GET ME WRONG I LOVE THE MOVIE AS MUCH AS THE NEXT KID DOES BUT IT IS JUST ONE OF THE THINGS THAT I GUESS YOU CANT HELP IT AFTER YOU DONE IT, WELL LATER AND BYE BYE!
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 07:42 PM   #43
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I read the book first. The worse change isn't the cut outs or arwen, it's making Aragorn conflicted when he manifestly is not.
Old 08-18-2002, 10:42 PM   #44
Sanna
Hobbit

Movie first

I don't think it's such a horrible thing to have seen the movie first. I mean, there are probably hundreds or maybe even thousands of people out there who went out and read the book just because they saw the movie, and otherwise they may have never read it. And the only major influence that I had from seeing the movie first was that I had faces and voices ready to put to character. Plus, the movie covers only the first chapter, and so everything else is still pretty new. Anyway, it's such a wonderful story that it is capable of rising above any misrepresentations or faults demonstrated in the film. The book stands alone, regardless of the movie, because the book is 100 times better.
Sanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 11:24 PM   #45
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I was a bit worried that the movie version would impinge it's images upon mine. Thus far, it hasn't, but then again, I've got a terrible imagination. It's been a while since I visualised any of the characters, or places.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:04 PM   #46
entss89
lord of the ents

Gollum hi

how dare they see the movie first!
Old 08-22-2002, 08:17 PM   #47
entss89
lord of the ents

Nazgul HI

SHAME ON YOU!
Old 08-22-2002, 08:19 PM   #48
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

One interesting difference is that Isildur is made to be much worse in the movie then in the book. I wonder why this was done, especially since Isildur wasn't focused on at all in the book.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:35 PM   #49
niggle
Hobbit

In the book at the Council of Elrond we learn that Isildur took the ring and would not destroy it despite the advice of Elrond and Cirdan. Just being told works ok in the book, since we can infer that the power of the ring is at work to prevent its own destruction. We learn later (in the appendices) that Isildur is extremely powerful and possibly has some magic of his own since before possessing the ring he has already cursed the men of Dunharrow into decline and death for not obeying his summons to fight against Sauron.

There is not enough time in the movie (particularly in what amounts to a recap of events far in the past) to explain all this, and so we have to see Isildur falling rapidly under the spell of the ring to make his refusal to destroy it plausible. In reality he probably resisted its spell almost as well as Frodo. In my view this was a necessary compromise to make events believable - I don't have that much of a problem with it. Isidur's supposed frailty also makes Aragorn's own self-doubt (how can I succeed where Isildur failed) more realistic, and helps explain Elrond's own fulminations against the weakness of the race of men.
niggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 06:02 AM   #50
Sween
im quite stupid

Isildur does come across as eveilish in the movie but they had to show how the ring effects people so quickly. Plus the ring was just about at its strongest then. This relate to a thead about could anyone willingly destroy the ring and the answer is probably no. The only way anyone could possiably destroy the ring is if it were handed to a hobbit for the first time on the cracks of doom he could probably of thrown it in.

I like the way aragorn is in the movie much better than in the first two books. Aragorn does not get to show his quality till he wont enter gondor till he has defeated sauron. Up till then he would transfer as been a bit arogant.
Old 08-24-2002, 06:35 PM   #51
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

I saw the movie and then read the book...and I don't think it altered the way I thought of the book because I'd seen the movie. It just made me mad because they changed so much in the movie...

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 06:40 PM   #52
Sween
im quite stupid

i saw the movie first and all the changes that were made i can see why they are made. if anything i wish i hadnt read the book because i know from now on im just gonna be going well thats diffrent from the book as the saying goes ignorance is bliss
Old 08-26-2002, 09:27 PM   #53
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

remember it's the movies, EVERYTHING moves quickly..

well everything that has a decent plot that is.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:53 PM   #54
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

On the other hand you appreciate he book far less after seeing the movie first.
Old 08-28-2002, 05:17 PM   #55
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by markedel
On the other hand you appreciate he book far less after seeing the movie first.
I saw the movie first, and I apresiate Tolkien's work more then Peter Jackson's, and I don't think that I would have liked it anymore if I had read the book first!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 02:52 PM   #56
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

(Bringing this thread up top again...)
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 01:59 PM   #57
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

I apologize in advance for this off-topic post about IronParrot's decision to bring this thread back from the dead to replace Dunadan's.

Should a thread which mirrors another existing thread within a one or two week period be closed? Absolutely. No one would disagree with that.

Should a thread be closed that is similar to one last posted to...in JULY?!?!?!?

Personally, I think this action was unnecessary and a little harsh to Dunadan.

As a board administrator myself, I've always considered the number one rule of board moderating to be: When in doubt, do nothing.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 02:05 PM   #58
olsonm
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
Should a thread be closed that is similar to one last posted to...in JULY?!?!?!?
Actually the last post to this thread was only a month ago. (8/28/02) I think IP was well within normal procedures for this board. Of course, I'm a little biased since I started this thread.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:13 PM   #59
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

My apologies to your buddy.

Since it's been only a month since the last post to this thread, that changes everything.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 02:35 PM   #60
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Thanks, BB, but I thought it was reasonable to indicate a recent thread on the topic.

When I get time I'll have a read through these and see where it leaves my original question. In a multimedia world I think it's really interesting how people view the same stuff in different formats, which I think is different from a "Book vs Film" debate.

I run several email discussion lists myself and appreciate the efforts of admins and moderators everywhere.

cheers

D

Last edited by Dunadan : 10-01-2002 at 02:48 PM.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote