Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-01-2002, 05:49 PM   #41
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

9Star trek was my first introduction to english. I used to bug my sister every 5 seconds to ask her to translate. (aaaaah those were the days )

The original series were fun, although they're quite dated now.
The next generation was the best in my view. I didn't see all too much from DS9 because it was rather *coughboringcough* it only got vaguely interesting during the war. It's in no way like B5. (the two seasons I saw from B5 before they stopped airing it were MUCH beter than DS9) Voyager wasn't bad, but it didn't reach the level of TNG, still got to see that last seasons though. And enterprise, well they haven't started airing it yet here. But from what I've heard it isn't grand.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:17 PM   #42
azalea
Long lost mooter

FYI -- NPR is doing a story on Star Trek today (on All Things Considered, I think).
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 05:45 PM   #43
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I'm a Ringer first and foremost, then comes Pirates of the Caribbean, but Star Trek is pretty good. I'm going with my sister (who is the person to talk to if you're a Trekkie- she is die-hard Trek) to a Star Trek convention soon.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 06:18 PM   #44
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosie Gamgee
I'm a Ringer first and foremost, then comes Pirates of the Caribbean, but Star Trek is pretty good. I'm going with my sister (who is the person to talk to if you're a Trekkie- she is die-hard Trek) to a Star Trek convention soon.
You think that people will still love POTC in several years? It will be just but a memory - LOTR movies won't (be just but a memory) and neither will star trek.

I haven't seen POTC - it may be good, but even if it is, it isn't *that* good; not a classic or anything. Most people that I have talked that like it like it because of the hot guys - and well that is no attraction for me, will see it on cable.

--

I've probably posted this before but- not a trekkie, but i do like star trek - ive been to a convention once like 5 years ago

Star Trek - good, very dated - probably seen all episodes, most movies

TNG- best of all star trek, seen most episodes, not all (especially of earlier seasons).

DS9 - ok, not that great. boring.

Voyager - pretty good, better than DS9 - i agree with many that it was not as good as TNG

Enterprise - pretty HORRIBLE. I tried watching the first season, saw most episodes - and a majority sucked. I tune into it every once in a blue moon now - sometimes it is entertaining, mostly not.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 06:42 PM   #45
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
[B]You think that people will still love POTC in several years? It will be just but a memory - LOTR movies won't (be just but a memory) and neither will star trek.

I haven't seen POTC - it may be good, but even if it is, it isn't *that* good; not a classic or anything. Most people that I have talked that like it like it because of the hot guys - and well that is no attraction for me, will see it on cable.
Maybe to you!! I know, I'm obsessed with the movie, but in my estimation it's better that the whole of Star Trek. So I will live and die the sole member of the POTC Forever! club.

Old 08-12-2003, 11:32 PM   #46
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I agree with everything HOBBIT said in his last post about the StarTreks except one thing. I don't think Enterprise is that bad.

My favorite series by far is TNG.

It had the best cast -- Yes, even better than the original, though that comes in a close second.

It had the best plots -- My friend likes DS9 because he said that it has more of a continuing plot from episode to episode, but to me that is kinda like spreading the butter too thin (don't think Bilbo). While DS9 may have had a very nice overall story line, every single episode of TNG had at least a good or interesting plot.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 05:22 PM   #47
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosie Gamgee
Maybe to you!! I know, I'm obsessed with the movie, but in my estimation it's better that the whole of Star Trek. So I will live and die the sole member of the POTC Forever! club.
Yeah, they are sure to do a couple of sequels at least -- you may eat your words, Hobbit!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 01:59 PM   #48
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

In the non-geek 'outside' world I guess I could be considered a trekkie. But I can only really enjoy TNG, and I've always been strapped for money so I'm not a collector.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:42 AM   #49
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
Yeah, they are sure to do a couple of sequels at least -- you may eat your words, Hobbit!
Do ye mean I might get hung by all these avid Trek fans for saying POTC's better than ST? Well, let's just say that ST is very good, but Pirates is more my kind of entertainment, and ST is other people's. I never really liked stuff that's set in space anyways. I much prefer pirates.

Old 09-02-2003, 07:04 PM   #50
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I went to that ST convention with my sister and saw William Shatner, got his autograph. Cool, but guess what? They said there that the reason Nemises flopped was because they released it 5 days before LOTR: TTT. I went "Yussss!!!"- and didn't get lynched, believe it or not- but I thought that was sooo cool that LOTR beat ST!

Old 09-03-2003, 09:57 AM   #51
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Nemises WAS bad.

LOTR was/is GOOD.

nuf said.

-----------------------------------------------------
Pain make man think.
Thinking make man wise.
Wisdom make life endurable.
......Sakini......
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 03:52 PM   #52
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

Location: on the floor, under the table, just to your left, your other left
Quote:
Originally posted by mirrille
Katt,
I love Gul Dukat. He is soooo cool. Who would have thought a scary looking, older (for me anyways - I'm a second generation Trekkie, after all) guy with a ton of make-up and silly costume could be so sexy? The man practically oozes charisma and charm, and that's amazing considering he's supposed to be a nasty, scheming despot. He steals every scene he's in and I enjoy watching him. I didn't like what they did with him in the end, making him go crazy like that. He stopped being as cool once he was messing with the Pah-wraiths.
Garak is fun, but not nearly as cool.
thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

Nemisis was bad. Data died. It was a cool way to die though.

I went to an ST con and saw Mark Alaimo, Jeffery Combs, and Casey Biggs (Gul Ducat, Weyon, and Damar for you un DS9 trekkies). It was cool. Mark Alaimo was drunk I think.

I thought that Alcohol was just for those with nothing else to do.
I thought that drinking just to get drunk was a waste of precious booze.
But now I know that there's a time and there's a place where I can choose
To walk the fine line between self control and self abuse.

"Lacerations make complications, but welts go away in a day."
Katt_knome_hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 12:21 PM   #53
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Oh man! Discovered original Star Trek on re-runs while a junior higher in mid-70's... GREAT STUFF! I even liked the old Captain Pike crew shown in the one flash back episode ("Menagerie").

Didn't like NG at first and gave up after 3-4 episodes (all seemed rip-offs of orginal series). Couple years later, gave it another chance at the urgings of friends... had indeed become a good show. Liked the continuity across episodes - which wasn't really considered a necessary ingredient when the first was done in the 60's.

As each new spin-off comes, I get less and less interested. Really haven't warmed to Enterprise (they introduce Klingons in the very first episode and their home world is within 4 days at Warp 4??? Then they were right under the Federation's armpit in Kirk's day! ).

Thought they missed one golden opportunity with Voyager though... on the last episode, when 7 of 9 married Chicotah (SP?) - after the ceremony she should've turned to him and said (warmly) "You will be assimilated!" And then end the show right THERE!

Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 12:19 PM   #54
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

New Star Trek Message Board:

See Advertisements Thread.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 04:35 PM   #55
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I'm a pretty green trekkie...I've watched the first movie with Kirk, about to watch the second (tonight), and I've watched two Picard movies; and a few episodes of TNG, which IS the best so far

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 01:26 AM   #56
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Oh man! Discovered original Star Trek on re-runs while a junior higher in mid-70's... GREAT STUFF! I even liked the old Captain Pike crew shown in the one flash back episode ("Menagerie").

Didn't like NG at first and gave up after 3-4 episodes (all seemed rip-offs of orginal series). Couple years later, gave it another chance at the urgings of friends... had indeed become a good show. Liked the continuity across episodes - which wasn't really considered a necessary ingredient when the first was done in the 60's.

As each new spin-off comes, I get less and less interested. Really haven't warmed to Enterprise (they introduce Klingons in the very first episode and their home world is within 4 days at Warp 4??? Then they were right under the Federation's armpit in Kirk's day! ).

Thought they missed one golden opportunity with Voyager though... on the last episode, when 7 of 9 married Chicotah (SP?) - after the ceremony she should've turned to him and said (warmly) "You will be assimilated!" And then end the show right THERE!

Hey Val - me and the BF just bought and watched all of season one of TOS. The replay of menagerie/cage was awesome - I really enjoyed both Pike, and his female second ... interesting that she got 'demoted' to nurse.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:47 PM   #57
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
Hey Val - me and the BF just bought and watched all of season one of TOS. The replay of menagerie/cage was awesome - I really enjoyed both Pike, and his female second ... interesting that she got 'demoted' to nurse.
Well, it was a character change rather than a demotion. Afterall, she was the wife of Gene Roddenberry. Can't get much higher in rank than that. She also played multiple charachters along with being the voice of the ship's computer throughout series'.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:41 PM   #58
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

You still can't beat Yeoman Janice Rand in the Original series!
Old 05-19-2005, 05:57 PM   #59
inked
Elf Lord

Hey, Uhura did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 10:34 AM   #60
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

... or not.