Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-30-2004, 01:41 AM   #41
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

sorry i was thinking of the us quarter and ithe r us coins....

Well I think if we are all living out statistical probabilities then lets all sit down and do nothing cause there is no point in doing anything. ANd then we are called lazy we just yell that we are just living out statistics.

That wouldnt maek any sense. You can determine the action of a mob but never fo an individual. A Mob of people cann b predicted but the human mind is so complex that yupou can never count on something. If you were to ask if I was goignt to say something you could never figurte it out cuz math doesnt have domain over my actions in my own head. Except for thee laws of physics. But I can think whatever the Melkor I want. No math dictates that.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:38 AM   #42
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Actually it does, especially Belgian euro coins more often land heads up

Story
hehe, very funny
Old 08-30-2004, 08:44 AM   #43
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
Actually it does, especially Belgian euro coins more often land heads up

Story
Sooo typical....

...but very useful to know what to pick if I ever have another toss...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
That wouldnt maek any sense. You can determine the action of a mob but never fo an individual. A Mob of people cann b predicted but the human mind is so complex that you can never count on something. If you were to ask if I was goignt to say something you could never figure it out cuz math doesnt have domain over my actions in my own head. Except for thee laws of physics. But I can think whatever the Melkor I want. No math dictates that.
I'd say it depends on the individual, I customarily play the same safe tactic at some games, but some people I've played against change their way of playing often. (hence I also often loose ) An individual can be easily predicted but it's not so much maths as personality at work.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:00 AM   #44
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
but it's not so much maths as personality at work.
But isn't this the same point we've been talking about? If personality can't be modelled mathematically, doesn't this say nature is not perfectly mathematical?
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 02:15 PM   #45
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Maths were never my strong point so I don't have enough data to answer that with more than a maybe. All I meant to say is that maths is not necesarily required to predict human behaviour.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:15 PM   #46
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

You can use math to figure out what someone is likely to do on what they have done before but it's alot easier to read someones personality that use math to work it out.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 02:30 PM   #47
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

erk. but reading someones personality IS using the same rules that math uses. Its just our super computer brains can do this more efficiently than any regular computer. perhaps some day we will have much much more powerful computers that can predetermine many things evern our brains cant at this point. but its not at all a personlity OR math deal. math underlies the personality prediction. the brain develops algorythems depending on probabilities it observes in nature. If i have learned that its likely you will post after my post and disgree or that you will say well im no expert but... then my brain will lead me to that (caluclated) conclusion. we just dont see the calculations.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote