Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-13-2003, 01:23 AM   #41
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Willow Oran, Elves don't scar. BUT, maybe the Balrog's whip had a foul spell upon it.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 09:08 PM   #42
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Willow Oran
I was betrothed to Glorfindel before his seeming death and we were married soon after he returned to Middle Earth.
That is untrue. Read the first post of the thread! He's mine, yes precious.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 07:56 AM   #43
Elvellon
Elf Lord

I’m Elvellon, numenorian Elf-friend.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 08:44 AM   #44
Amandil
Guy-who-should-come-here-more-often

Location: Alberta, in spirit -- Vlaanderen, in body (Canada? Never heard of it!)
I have a surname: Mithadan. I'm a wandering woodsman. No real Numenorean blood in me to warrant the term Dunadan or Ranger. I wander the fields of Eriador (and the woods, when I come accross them). I wear various shades of tan, grey and green, carry a longbow (usually unstrung), a spear, a relatively short double-bladed slashing sword, a dagger, and a shield -- in addition to the usual woodsman kit of flint and steel, skillet, waterbag, etc. (I hope I can still walk with all that weight!). I think my shield should be round with a central boss (like a Viking or Frank shield), even though my avatar shield is kite shaped. The field of my shield is azure, with either a cross argent or an eagle displayed argent emblazoned with a billet azure, a cross argent (haven't decided yet). I wear a small byrnie of mail, leather boots & gloves, and wear a hood or a wool-cap (touque, in Canadian) instead of any other sort hat. Maybe I have a conical helmet with a nasal bar, but I don't wear it while wandering. I don't think I own a horse, so I'm usually on foot (although I can ride just fine, thank-you). I probably don't keep a dog or a wolf. I know and love animals precisely because I hunt, kill and eat them. I'm also a half-decent forager, for contributing to the vegetable and mineral side of my diet. I live in a tent, I think, somewhere off the beaten track. Maybe I've settled down under an outcropping of rock, I don't know yet. That remains to be seen. I avoid cities and towns, anyway, except for the odd excursion. I like people though, just not en masse. Villages I can handle, and would almost consider living in one. Almost. I'm resolutely single, polite and chaste, and emphatically heterosexual. I go to war when there is a war worth fighting, and I'm always keeping my eyes out for orcs or other assholes who need to get stuck full of arrows etc. Where I came from, and how I got here, well that's another story!

So that's what this wandering woodsman is about, last I checked...I wrote a little more detailed bio a few years ago, but I don't remember quite what I said...

"Why would you want to tamper with anything Tolkien did?" --Ralph Bashki

"Seeking self, I find nothing but myself, but in this I drink the cup of gall I really am. I want everything, and I may have everything, but I have nothing except what I have. What I have I know is not what will fulfill me, and I know this in the bitterness of satisfied desire. Everything I have is still not enough, and in getting everything I have, I have not myself, indeed what I have may have twisted what I am and might be into an image of my own possessions. I will to possess, but I end up possessed by what I possess." -- William Desmond (Ethics and the Between, p. 209-210)
Amandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 08:58 AM   #45
Amandil
Guy-who-should-come-here-more-often

Location: Alberta, in spirit -- Vlaanderen, in body (Canada? Never heard of it!)
I finally read the other posts on this threat:

Laughing out loud at Dylan (as per usual) and Samwise-what's-his-name!

"Why would you want to tamper with anything Tolkien did?" --Ralph Bashki

"Seeking self, I find nothing but myself, but in this I drink the cup of gall I really am. I want everything, and I may have everything, but I have nothing except what I have. What I have I know is not what will fulfill me, and I know this in the bitterness of satisfied desire. Everything I have is still not enough, and in getting everything I have, I have not myself, indeed what I have may have twisted what I am and might be into an image of my own possessions. I will to possess, but I end up possessed by what I possess." -- William Desmond (Ethics and the Between, p. 209-210)
Amandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 04:50 PM   #46
Gamigar
Elven Warrior

Gandalf

I am David son of Ed son of Dale son of Odis son of George.

I also go by other names:
Theoden
Gildor
Zonag
Hob
Martin
Little Ed
Gonff
and a couple others that i can't remember.{Some of you may have noticed that two of those were from the series of redwall, which i have stopped reading because they are a little juvinile}

Forgive me if i spelled anything wrong.
And I must follow if I can
Pursuing it with eager feet
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet
And wither then I can not say

Last edited by Gamigar : 03-18-2003 at 04:53 PM.
Gamigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 01:09 PM   #47
Ruinel
Banned

The story of Rúnyel, Tolkien revised

In the year 1310 of the Stars, a girl child was born to Yúcalion and Mirilwen in Valinor. As is the custom, at the Essecarmë, Yúcalion presented his new daughter as Meldanna, for of the children of Yúcalion and Mirilwen she was the most beloved of her father. She was a good blend of two families having the red hair of dawn sometimes seen in her mother's kin, as well as the dark green eyes of her father. Upon the day of Essecilmë, Meldanna chose the name Rúnyel.
[The story of Yúcalion and Mirilwen has been omitted because of space.]
Rúnyel grew to be a devoted daughter to her father and mother. However, she would sometimes be found alone in the woods in Valinor to her parents' worry. When asked why she had defied her parents' wishes and wandered off alone, she would reply that she had been called by the voice of the wind and was enchanted of its sound as it passed through the leaves of the trees. Rúnyel did not grow up like other nissi. She did not have time for making songs, weaving, nor did she ever have the mind to help her mother at the home. Rúnyel delighted in making devices to do work for others and anything that would bring her to the woods. Sometimes, she would help her father in metal work, learning his craft. In time, she developed new techniques in metal work, which she shared with her father.
It was a time in Valinor in which Melkor had repented his sins upon the Children of Ilúvatar. But his heart was hidden, for he had already begun to work his evil plans for revenge. Of the Vanyar was Amarië, fair to look upon but with a fell heart. It was she who Melkor had befriended in the shadows, sparking greed and lust in her heart. She had wanted power over others to do her bidding and Melkor had promised her the secret ways for her to achieve her desires. Her lust had long burned for Finrod of the Noldor, son of Finarfin and Earwen, son of Finwë and Indis. Finrod did not return her love, sensing some malcontent in her heart. Finrod's heart had already seen the light of the red dawn of Rúnyel walking in the woods alone, although he had concealed his love from all save his sister, Galadriel.
Now a time of festival came upon Valinor and all that dwelled there were busy in joyous preparation. Finrod had planned to reveal his love to Rúnyel and present a silver ring of betrothal to her. Finrod went to the edge of the woods were he often saw and walked with her. But all was not as blissful as it seemed. Amarië had learned the weaving of magic spells from Melkor and came upon Finrod as he sat by the edge of the woods. Amarië began to chant words not heard before in Valinor, not by Elf nor Vala, save Melkor. Thus Finrod fell under the power of Amarië, forgetting his love for Rúnyel, and dropping the silver ring upon the ground. Then Amarië commanded that he profess his love for her and he did so. Finrod returned to Galadriel and told her of his love for Amarië. Doubt fell upon her for Elves fall in love only once in their lives and she was already aware of his love for Rúnyel. It was soon learned of the alliance of Amarië and Melkor and for the sake of Finrod, Amarië was not permitted to leave Valinor when the Noldor fled Aman. Amarië was remanded to the custody and doom of Námo and remained chained in Mandos for the life of Arda for her fell deed. [Much is told of the death of the Two Trees in Of the Darkening of Valinor, and of the sad tale of Flight of the Noldor, which can not be told here.] Finrod was not to see Amarië again, not in life nor death. But Finrod was never released from the spell, for only Melkor could do so and he delighted in the sadness of Rúnyel. Sometimes when Finrod would look into the deep green eyes of Rúnyel a glimmer of remembrance would flash back and then be gone. For it was she who loyally followed Finrod, whom she loved, to Middle Earth and fought with him at the Dagor Bragollach.
When Rúnyel learned of Finrod's death in the dungeons of Tol-in-Gaurhoth she wept a thousand tears. To Eryn Vorn she went after where she ruled the scattered Moriquendi who had fled the oppression of Melkor and Sauron. She was exalted as the wisest queen and all that came to Eryn Vorn paid her homage. When the Valar released the ban upon the Exiles, she chose not to abandon the Moriquendi under her rule and stayed in Middle Earth. Although she and the Moriquendi have "faded" you may still see a glimpse of her as she walks in the forest listening to the wind in the leaves.

Last edited by Ruinel : 03-22-2003 at 01:45 PM.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 01:04 AM   #48
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Ruinel great post. An evil Amarie.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 01:48 AM   #49
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
Ruinel great post. An evil Amarie.
Thanks. I do what I can.
Old 03-23-2003, 05:41 PM   #50
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Nicely written story, Ruinel. Very nicely put together.

Only a little predictable in Amarië's evil, you Finrodfancier, you.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:58 PM   #51
Legoles
Goddess of the evil smilies

Samwise-what's-his-name![/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]

Tis Samwise Gamgee

PADFOOT LIVES!
Legoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 09:47 PM   #52
Elf Girl
Lurker

Re: The story of Rúnyel, Tolkien revised

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
Amarië had learned the weaving of magic spells from Melkor and came upon Finrod as he sat by the edge of the woods. Amarië began to chant words not heard before in Valinor, not by Elf nor Vala, save Melkor. Thus Finrod fell under the power of Amarië...
Why isn't SGH over here debating yet?
Old 03-25-2003, 11:13 PM   #53
Fëannel
Sapling

Nazgul

Fëannel aen estar nÃ*n, im in Náriel o Valannor.
Or in english, Fëannel [Star-gifted Spirit] is my name, I am the Náriel [Fire-Garlanded Maiden] of Valinor.
More updates will arive. i must go now, i hav business to attend to.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:40 PM   #54
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Fëannel
Fëannel aen estar nÃ*n, im in Náriel o Valannor.
Or in english, Fëannel [Star-gifted Spirit] is my name, I am the Náriel [Fire-Garlanded Maiden] of Valinor.
More updates will arive. i must go now, i hav business to attend to.
Vinyalambi nar mára istale. (I think this is right.)
Old 03-27-2003, 09:12 PM   #55
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Nicely written story, Ruinel. Very nicely put together.

Only a little predictable in Amarië's evil, you Finrodfancier, you.
Thank you Eärniel. There's a lot left out b/c of space. Predictable *lol* huh? How could it have been any other way?

Elf Girl: SGH has read it. I think she sees Amarië in a different light, than I.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:27 AM   #56
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

[taunt]I still don't see what you see in Finrod. He fell under Amarië's spell soooo easily. The weakling. [/taunt]
Old 03-29-2003, 12:58 AM   #57
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel

[taunt]I still don't see what you see in Finrod. He fell under Amarië's spell soooo easily. The weakling. [/taunt]
Well... it was a pretty strong spell. I think that even a Vala would have fallen under the spell. After all, it was weaved by Melkor himself.

Edit: oh, hahaha, I just got the [taunt] thing... oh, cute.

Last edited by Ruinel : 03-29-2003 at 12:59 AM.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:23 PM   #58
Anglorfin
Alasailon

I am Anglorfin (long golden hair) of the race of the Noldor of Fingolfin's house. I am a brother of Glorfindel, and a cousin of Elenwe; Turgon's wife who perished in the crossing of the Grinding Ice. Afterwards I remained close to Turgon's house, dwelling first in Nevrast and then in Gondolin. I was close in Idril's confidence and was ever watchful of Maeglin ever since he came to Gondolin. Because of my faithfulness and my later friendship with the son of Huor, I became one of the organizers of the secret escape route out of Gondolin, and in that way came to escape myself when Gondolin was destroyed. Afterwards I stayed much in Earendil's company until he went to seek passage to the West.

In the absence of Earendil I passed into Gil-Galad's host, fighting both the final battle against Morgoth and the battle of the First Alliance against Sauron under his command. After Gil-Galad fell I went to dwell in Rivendell with Elrond and my other kin. I returned to the West a few years after the final defeat of Sauron, where strangely enough Aule was teaching the Noldor of Valinor the art of making microchips . .

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."

Last edited by Anglorfin : 05-26-2003 at 03:02 PM.
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 01:12 PM   #59
Lady_of_the_Golden_Wood
The Precious

I am Larithia, and elven maid, I never went with my kin to the grey havens for I traveled Middle Earth for years. When I finally found my way back to Lorien, all were gone, even Lady Galadriel. I fell to the ground and waited for anyone to come to my aid, they never did. I spent years sitting on a moss-covered stone, waiting. When winter came I would pull on a black cloak and to whomever happened to pass, I was invisible. Many men and orcs went through the empty wood, yet none saw me. Whether I wished it or not, I was invisible to their eyes.

Over the years I saw many things come to pass, I saw the last of the elves making their way to the last ships to the grey havens. I saw them but could not rise from the stone. I grew starved on the acursed boulder, none had the power to save me, none ever would.

That is the end of the story, I traveled far and wide before I settled in Lorien.
but words are meaningless
in your absence.
Lady_of_the_Golden_Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 02:55 PM   #60
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Anglorfin
I am a brother of Glorfindel...
He's my brother-in-law-to-be!