Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-14-2002, 02:24 PM   #41
Polkat
Enting

Location: yateley which is a small and rather boring town in england!
kalten

kalten?
is that the one you mean? i have just realised i spend more time writing on the "other fantasy" board that on the LotR one. hmmm should probably go and have another rant about loving the arwen/aragorn scenes in the movie.

kalten is kinda one of your sterotypical characters. he's dumb but not as dumb as he looks although his spelling is almost as bad as mine. [bad joke, please humour me and at least pretend to laugh]

not in a bad way or anything [i love eddings] but along the same lines has anyone noticed the characters do kinda reappear in different series?
does anyone know what i mean? ok i'll give an example.
Pol in belgariad is kinda like selphrenia in eleium [can't spell that] and like dweia in althalus.

think have written enough for today. am desparately trying to get off hobbit status so writing many pointless posts. byeeeeee
Old 05-14-2002, 02:32 PM   #42
Garina
Elf Lord

Kalten is the thick guy who is very loyal, Kurik is Sparhawk's squire in the Elenium, Khalad is the squire in the Tamuli. I think.

Is it just me or are Ehlana and Ce'Nedra really alike? Flute/Aphrael/Danae seem like her as well
Garina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 02:42 PM   #43
Polkat
Enting

Location: yateley which is a small and rather boring town in england!
my point exactly
Old 05-15-2002, 08:04 AM   #44
Haegondwen
Hobbit

my point as well. i think a lot of OTHER fantasy writers kinda of use the same characters. drives me crazy. but then, if you just had boring characters, it wouldnt be much of a book. i think that if you read a lot, as much as i do, its inevitable that you'll find similarities in characters, not just because there is only so much you can do, but becuase a lot of authors are inspired by other popular authors. im sure Eddings has inspired many an author to pick up her pen
Haegondwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 09:41 AM   #45
Garina
Elf Lord

Am reading all David Eddings books again. Feeling nostalgic with too much time on my hands!

Darn, will have to search for Polgara the Sorceress, as it no longer appears to be on my shelf.

My favourite series is the Malloreon
Entmoot Resident Bard #2
Wielder of the shiny fire extinguisher
Worshipper of the divine cheesecake

Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!!! Minsc, Baldur's Gate 2
Children, don't take drugs. Become a pop star, then people give them to you for free!!! - Billy Mack, Love Actually.

While I'm sure the nice people from the local archery club meant well, a moment's consideration would have made them realise that giving my friend and I lethal weapons was probably not a good idea!

Dammit, eyeliner and dreadlocks should not be that sexy!
Old 05-19-2002, 09:59 AM   #46
Faeirex
Hobbit

Location: A place inside my head, where none but myself dare go.
Elenium

I feel I have to make a stand for the Elenium here, as all you guys are saying you didn't think it was as good. I'll say right now that I loved it.

On second thoughts, there are probably some good reasons why I loved the Elenium. I go for a specific type of guy. Confident, charming, perhaps a little rogue-like. Good fighter, makes witty comments, etc. I didn't like Garion. He was just too goody-goody for me, and he always did what Pol/Belgarath told him to. It just didn't interest me.

By contrast, in the Elenium, you have Sparhawk, Kalten, Tynian, Ulath, Bevier and Talen (adored Talen). All, to varying degrees, fulfilling what I look for in a man. What more can I say?

Also, the Elenium was a little darker than the Belgariad I think. The theme may have been a bit similar, but this time around it was a bit grittier, more serious. You can't really compare the two, but I do insist that the Elenium really was as good as the Belgariad.

Also, ignore Polkat when she says she's dyslexic. She's some type of super-genius, who has been predicted 8 A STARS in her GCSE's. She's just trying to find excuses for bad spelling...

~Fae
Am becoming disenchanted with palantir guy. Refuses to send me photo, except of one v. large eyeball. Says he is shy but I rather suspect he is fat, or perhaps hairy. Have heard some v. bad stories about palantir relationships. Should probably cool it for a while.

Well, wouldn't you know, palantir guy turned out to be Dark Lord of Mordor. Just my luck. Could have been worse, I guess. Sauron not far or hairy, just disembodied force of evil. Must go now, have to raise massive demon army to scourge the earth. Also, have manicure appointment. Is no easy task keeping nails pointy.

Am tired of climbing up and down eight million stairs just to taunt Gandalf. Should have imprisoned him in easy-access dungeon where could taunt more effectively, and would not have to wait until after breakfast.

Have crossed orcs with goblin men in caverns below Isengard. V. tedious experience as orcs and goblin men most reluctant to breed, even with dinner and flowers. Next time will try something easier, such as breeding goblins and cheerleaders to create super-perky army that can travel by day and will not complain about pink uniforms.

Did not know when decided to make demon army for Sauron that would be so darn messy. Curse my decision to be Saruman the White. Should have decided to be Saruman the Muddy Brown, or Saruman the Faintly Greenish. White just shows all the slime.
Faeirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 05:22 PM   #47
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

David Eddings Anyone?

Since I started this thread and get an e-mail everytime someone adds a post to it, I'll add my two cents. I adhere to two old cliches: There is no accounting for taste. AND To each his/her own. Thus, I do not much care who likes what for whatever reason.

By now I have read all of Eddings's fantasy books, except The Riven Codex. I liked each series but for different reasons. I really like Polgara and Sparhawk, but they are in different series. I like Anthalus too. I try to enjoy what I read without analyzing it too much. I will read it all again, probably next year after I read all the Tolkien agian.

Yes, there are similarities, and you can analyze them if you want, but I prefer to merely enjoy them or not. Peace and happy reading.
Old 05-20-2002, 08:08 AM   #48
Haegondwen
Hobbit

im all for reading for pleasure, as that is usually what i stick too, but talking to people who actually enjoy the same reading material as i do without getting embarrassed is worth ripping apart favorite books. besides, if we didnt analyze, it would certainly wouldnt make for an interesting thread. my humble, and most sincere apologies for the run on sentance. and, as it is so early after a strenuous weekend, i cant remember how to spell material or sentance. im close enough, im sure
Haegondwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 09:32 PM   #49
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I loved belgarath- Super powerful, super smart guy, who goes out of his way to make people think he's disreputable.

I also liked talen's brother... what's his name? "Don't worry, he's dead. He just doesn't know it yet.'
Old 06-09-2002, 05:23 PM   #50
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Don't remember. I liked Beldin better.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 03:03 AM   #51
Garina
Elf Lord

Khalad is Talen's brother.
I liked Vella, Silk and Velvet.
Entmoot Resident Bard #2
Wielder of the shiny fire extinguisher
Worshipper of the divine cheesecake

Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!!! Minsc, Baldur's Gate 2
Children, don't take drugs. Become a pop star, then people give them to you for free!!! - Billy Mack, Love Actually.

While I'm sure the nice people from the local archery club meant well, a moment's consideration would have made them realise that giving my friend and I lethal weapons was probably not a good idea!

Dammit, eyeliner and dreadlocks should not be that sexy!
Old 06-14-2002, 08:58 PM   #52
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
I can never decide which of the 2 major series is my favorite. While I love the plot and some of the characters of the Sparhawk books, I love ever character in the Mallorean and Belgariad
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 06-20-2002, 05:12 AM   #53
Hans Moleman
Hobbit

"David Eddings föddes 1931 i Spokane i den amerikanska delstaten Washington. Han studerade vid Reed College i Portland, Oregon och vid Washingtonuniversitetet. Efter examen där 1961 har han tjänstgjort i amerikanska armén, arbetat som inköpare vid Boeing och som lärare i engelska på college

"Ahh my brain"
Hans Moleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2002, 03:53 PM   #54
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

I don't think even TC could figure out what that meant

Old 06-23-2002, 08:54 AM   #55
Faeirex
Hobbit

Location: A place inside my head, where none but myself dare go.
you feel like translating that? i'd like to be able to agree/argue with you, but i can't if i don't know what it means.

~Fae
Am becoming disenchanted with palantir guy. Refuses to send me photo, except of one v. large eyeball. Says he is shy but I rather suspect he is fat, or perhaps hairy. Have heard some v. bad stories about palantir relationships. Should probably cool it for a while.

Well, wouldn't you know, palantir guy turned out to be Dark Lord of Mordor. Just my luck. Could have been worse, I guess. Sauron not far or hairy, just disembodied force of evil. Must go now, have to raise massive demon army to scourge the earth. Also, have manicure appointment. Is no easy task keeping nails pointy.

Am tired of climbing up and down eight million stairs just to taunt Gandalf. Should have imprisoned him in easy-access dungeon where could taunt more effectively, and would not have to wait until after breakfast.

Have crossed orcs with goblin men in caverns below Isengard. V. tedious experience as orcs and goblin men most reluctant to breed, even with dinner and flowers. Next time will try something easier, such as breeding goblins and cheerleaders to create super-perky army that can travel by day and will not complain about pink uniforms.

Did not know when decided to make demon army for Sauron that would be so darn messy. Curse my decision to be Saruman the White. Should have decided to be Saruman the Muddy Brown, or Saruman the Faintly Greenish. White just shows all the slime.
Faeirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2002, 01:52 PM   #56
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

I think it was something about college and washington

Old 10-23-2002, 03:11 PM   #57
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

just read the three first books of Belgeriad. amazing book, no doubts. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 06:15 PM   #58
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

I am reading the Belgariad series again, and I love it as much as the first time. I am now in the middle of the third book. I will read all of the Eddings books again before moving on to something else. Peace.
Old 11-17-2002, 12:29 AM   #59
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

I read the Belgariad and Malloreon a few years ago now. My favourite character was probably Silk. Funny guy. I got kind of annoyed by... would you believe it? I've forgotten his name! That guy from the caves (Belgariad I think) who was one of those obsessive people who could walk through rocks.
*wanders off muttering "I don't believe I forgot his name!"*
Lanelf.

Artemis Fowl must find Mulch Diggums!

You'll never shut down the real Napster
Lanelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 12:38 AM   #60
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Quote:
Originally posted by Lanelf
I read the Belgariad and Malloreon a few years ago now. My favourite character was probably Silk. Funny guy. I got kind of annoyed by... would you believe it? I've forgotten his name! That guy from the caves (Belgariad I think) who was one of those obsessive people who could walk through rocks.
*wanders off muttering "I don't believe I forgot his name!"*
Lanelf.
It's Relg ............I thought him a little boring but his partnership with Tabia was brilliant ............ no two characters were more "chalk and cheese"

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote